Is it actually possible to burn a BIN/CUE on a Mac?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ASDR

Is it actually possible to burn a BIN/CUE on a Mac?

Post by ASDR »

Sorry for the cheeky title but I'm losing my mind a bit at how hard I'm failing at this task.

I keep a 20 year old Windows XP laptop around for burning CDs since that drive always produces working results and I can just use old software like ImgBurn and DiscJuggler and all old formats and stuff just work. But the IDE drive in that laptop just failed for the 2nd time with the click of death and I'm getting a bit tired of replacing it and pulling out that old PoS every time I want to burn a CD for a chipped console.

I tried again to burn a disc on OS X and completely failed at that task. My only Mac with a working optical drive is an older MBP with El Capitan. I tried LiquidCD, that doesn't even start writing and fails with some error about the drive not responding. The software is apparently decade old abandonware like all CD-writing software. Looks like OS X has a build-in utility that can write CUE sheets, but fail as well:

Code: Select all

drutil burn Strikers\ 1945\ \(Japan\).cue
Burning Image to Disc: Strikers 1945 (Japan).cue

Preparing...2019-01-19 13:37:24.251 drutil[609:14508] -[__NSCFString bytes]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7ff202c1ae20

Burn failed: An internal error occurred.
Great.

I feel like burning CDs is some lost technology in the Warhammer 40k universe that only the Great Old Ones can still do. Can anybody recommend

- A piece of software that can just burn BIN/CUE, ISO & maybe MDF files in a way that works with retro consoles? Bonus points if it's just some small open source cmd line utility
- A USB optical drive that produces reliable results and works out of the box on a Mac

Thanks ;-)
Dochartaigh

Re: Is it actually possible to burn a BIN/CUE on a Mac?

Post by Dochartaigh »

I have to say as a Mac guy (running 4x Mac's right now), that my best burner is on my old 2009 Mac Pro in which I have to run Parallels Desktop running Windows 10 to get a decent burn (that is the ONLY drive which will do 1x, 2x, and 4x).

ALL the new USB external CD/DVD burners I've tried (gave up after trying three of them) won't burn at anything less than 10x or 12x I think - and I STILL get verification errors (even when using the 'best' Verbatim DataLife Plus discs).

I'l stay tuned to this topic to see if anybody mentions a good program. I would be interested in burning Dreamcast discs as well since even on the PC side those need a special driver (for programs like ImgBurn) to burn that quasi-special disc format.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

I actually have a 2009 Mac Pro sitting around as well, but the DVD drive is dead :/ I was thinking of replacing it, but I'm not sure what an acceptable replacement drive would be and if they can still be purchased. I figured an external option would be far simpler and that could also be used on modern machines.

For my DC I fortunately have a GDemu and for the Saturn we should be able to buy the Satiator sometime this year. But for the PS1 I didn't want to go the PSIO route and instead opted for a small, external PSU PSone with a new-old-stock drive replacement and Mayumi modchip, so I guess I'll have to burn CDs for this thing for a while.

Seems like the situation for burning discs on OS X is just as bleak as when I last looked into it. Just spend 8 bucks on a replacement PATA drive for my XP laptop, sigh. ALso just hooked up an old WRT54GL router to replace the broken one in the game room, I feel like some museum curator these days. Save me ODE-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope :/
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I used to use a command line tool called cdrecord in linux - maybe there's a mac port?
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

So there's a package called cdrtools available on homebrew, I think that's a port of what you're talking about. I also just remember there's a tool called binchunker, 'bchunk' on brew, that can convert BIN/CUE to ISO which Macs can natively burn. My memory is real hazy here but I remember messing around with either and eventually giving up in frustration can pulling out the Ye Olde XP Laptop in the end. I'm not sure if that was only for those special snowflake CDI files or if even basic BIN/CUE didn't work, though. Will give it a shot.

binchunker has a PSX mode, which is encouraging:

binchunker for Unix, version 1.2.0 by Heikki Hannikainen <hessu@hes.iki.fi>
	Created with the kind help of Bob Marietta <marietrg@SLU.EDU>,
	partly based on his Pascal (Delphi) implementation.
	Support for MODE2/2352 ISO tracks thanks to input from
	Godmar Back <gback@cs.utah.edu>, Colas Nahaboo <Colas@Nahaboo.com>
	and Matthew Green <mrg@eterna.com.au>.
	Released under the GNU GPL, version 2 or later (at your option).

Usage: bchunk [-v] [-r] [-p (PSX)] [-w (wav)] [-s (swabaudio)]
         <image.bin> <image.cue> <basename>
Example: bchunk foo.bin foo.cue foo
  -v  Verbose mode
  -r  Raw mode for MODE2/2352: write all 2352 bytes from offset 0 (VCD/MPEG)
  -p  PSX mode for MODE2/2352: write 2336 bytes from offset 24
      (default MODE2/2352 mode writes 2048 bytes from offset 24)
  -w  Output audio files in WAV format
  -s  swabaudio: swap byte order in audio tracks
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

yeah that's right I remember now - cdrtools was the whole package, cdrecord was just one utility contained within
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Ok, can't get binchunker to work, just produces some CDR file.

cdrecord just makes a coaster and says this:

[~/Desktop/Strikers 1945 (Japan)] sudo cdrecord Strikers\ 1945\ \(Japan\).cue
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Assuming -sao mode.
cdrecord: If your drive does not accept -sao, try -tao.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.01 (x86_64-apple-macosx15.2.0) Copyright (C) 1995-2015 Joerg Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identifikation : 'DVDRW  GS23N    '
Revision       : 'SB03'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R LAYER_JUMP
Starting to write CD/DVD/BD at speed 24 in real SAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
cdrecord: WARNING: Drive returns wrong startsec (0) using -150

WARNING: padding up to secsize (by 1813 bytes).
Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 235/614400 (300 sectors).
I have no idea what any of this means or if that was supposed to be a successful burn, but it's all over after 5s and the end result does not work.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

when feeding it a cue file as opposed to a image you have to do this

--cuefile=FILENAME.cue
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Guess it just burned the CUE file itself on the disk then ;-) I swear I googled for >5min on how to burn BIN/CUE using cdrecord and that wasn't mentioned anywhere. Anyway, correctly pointing it at the CUE sheet just yields this:

cdrecord: Unsupported sector size 2352 for data on line 3 col 16 in 'Strikers 1945 (Japan).cue'
Pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the CUE sheet, I burned like >50 of those with ImgBurn on XP already.

Some discussion on that error:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... -a-259259/

"The windows user that gave me this file can write it to disk just fine "

Yeah, no shit ;-)
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

check the man page for cdrecord - first thing you should probably use the simulation switch while fighting this so you dont waste any more discs

secondly, as for the sector size problem: I believe that has something to do with the write mode. try experimenting with the various raw modes or maybe try changing to DAO or TAO or something until it stops choking
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Thanks for the tip with simulation mode.

Write modes seem like a good hunch, I tried all of them, no luck, same error :/

sudo cdrecord -driver=cdr_simul -raw16 --cuefile=Strikers\ 1945\ \(Japan\).cue
Read the top dozen or so forum posts for that sector error, no answer in any of them.

Also tried some other freeware CD writer software and some other BIN/CUE -> ISO conversion stuff I've found by googling, no luck.

Also double checked the CUE sheet on redump.org, that's all like it's supposed to be.

Ah well, I'll get my PATA drive from eBay next week and its back to the 2000-era Windows XP laptop. How dare I try write a CD on a non Microsoft OS. That's just crazy talk.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

ASDR wrote:Guess it just burned the CUE file itself on the disk then ;-) I swear I googled for >5min on how to burn BIN/CUE using cdrecord and that wasn't mentioned anywhere. Anyway, correctly pointing it at the CUE sheet just yields this:

cdrecord: Unsupported sector size 2352 for data on line 3 col 16 in 'Strikers 1945 (Japan).cue'
That means the 2352-byte sectors of the image file are not a format that cdrecord interprets.

You must convert using binchunk.

I'm guessing you're trying to burn the Saturn version (that's the version with a cuesheet specifying MODE1/2352 on line 3 col 16)

bchunk -w Strikers\ 1945\ \(Japan\)\ \(Track\ 1\).bin Strikers\ 1945\ \(Japan\).cue Strikers1945

You should get Strikers194501.iso and Strikers194502.wav.

sudo cdrecord -data Strikers194501.iso -audio Strikers194502.wav

should get you what you want.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

darcagn wrote:
ASDR wrote:Guess it just burned the CUE file itself on the disk then ;-) I swear I googled for >5min on how to burn BIN/CUE using cdrecord and that wasn't mentioned anywhere. Anyway, correctly pointing it at the CUE sheet just yields this:

That means the 2352-byte sectors of the image file are not a format that cdrecord interprets.

You must convert using binchunk.

I'm guessing you're trying to burn the Saturn version (that's the version with a cuesheet specifying MODE1/2352 on line 3 col 16)

bchunk -w Strikers\ 1945\ \(Japan\)\ \(Track\ 1\).bin Strikers\ 1945\ \(Japan\).cue Strikers1945

You should get Strikers194501.iso and Strikers194502.wav.

sudo cdrecord -data Strikers194501.iso -audio Strikers194502.wav

should get you what you want.
Just tried that, one more coaster :( Seems to do the right thing but the result doesn't work. Mac just recognizes it as an audio CD, the data track is missing.

[~/Desktop/Strikers 1945 (Japan)] bchunk -w Strikers\ 1945\ \(Japan\)\ \(Track\ 1\).bin Strikers\ 1945\ \(Japan\).cue Strikers1945
binchunker for Unix, version 1.2.0 by Heikki Hannikainen <hessu@hes.iki.fi>
	Created with the kind help of Bob Marietta <marietrg@SLU.EDU>,
	partly based on his Pascal (Delphi) implementation.
	Support for MODE2/2352 ISO tracks thanks to input from
	Godmar Back <gback@cs.utah.edu>, Colas Nahaboo <Colas@Nahaboo.com>
	and Matthew Green <mrg@eterna.com.au>.
	Released under the GNU GPL, version 2 or later (at your option).

Reading the CUE file:

Track  1: MODE1/2352    01 00:00:00
Track  2: AUDIO         00 00:00:00 01 00:02:00

Writing tracks:

1: Strikers194501.iso    0/0    MB  [********************] 100 %
 2: Strikers194502.wav  219/219  MB  [********************] 100 %

[~/Desktop/Strikers 1945 (Japan)] sudo cdrecord -data Strikers194501.iso -audio Strikers194502.wav
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Assuming -sao mode.
cdrecord: If your drive does not accept -sao, try -tao.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.01 (x86_64-apple-macosx15.2.0) Copyright (C) 1995-2015 Joerg Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identifikation : 'DVDRW  GS23N    '
Revision       : 'SB03'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R LAYER_JUMP
Starting to write CD/DVD/BD at speed 24 in real SAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
cdrecord: WARNING: Drive returns wrong startsec (0) using -150
Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 2048/614400 (300 sectors).
Track 02: Total bytes read/written: 230067936/230067936 (97818 sectors).
Guess it didn't write the data track fully?

What confused me about binchunker, I've never seen an ISO with other files accompanying it. So the ISO is just the data track then. Does this also work if there are multiple audio tracks? Just tack on the extras tracks?

And I assume I need that -p switch with binchunker if I convert a PS1 game instead of a SS one?

I still wish there was just a program like on Windows where the developers actually did the job from start to finish and basic tasks like burning a BIN/CUE would just work. All the fantastic work people do on things like TOSEC/ReDump means we actually have known-good, error free, faithfully done dumps of discs. If I need to use conversion tools and specify stuff the exact right way (TM) then I risk mucking it up. I mean I can't exactly claim to know how CD-Rs actually work. There's enough to worry about with CD-R media, different CD writers, burn speed, mod chips etc. that I rather not add mucking up the conversion process to the list.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

ASDR wrote: Guess it didn't write the data track fully?
It says 0MB for the ISO file, so for some reason it didn't write the file... :(

Unfortunately burning discs on macOS is hit or miss, there's too many proprietary formats when you're dealing with archival formats designed to save absolutely everything from the disc.
Unless you really know what you're doing and don't mind messing around with manipulating files, you should probably set up a Windows VM.
ASDR wrote:What confused me about binchunker, I've never seen an ISO with other files accompanying it. So the ISO is just the data track then. Does this also work if there are multiple audio tracks? Just tack on the extras tracks?
ISO is named after ISO9660, the name of the filesystem used on CD-ROM. So, an ISO file is just a data track (image of an iso9660 filesystem).

If you have multiple data tracks or audio tracks, they can be split across multiple files. It's the CUE file that specifies how all of the individual files are laid out on a disc.
ASDR wrote:And I assume I need that -p switch with binchunker if I convert a PS1 game instead of a SS one?
Yes. But admittedly I don't really have a lot of experience using binchunker. LiquidCD works on my Mac for burning BIN/CUE. But I think it only works with one of my drives.
Mostly I use Windows VM.
donluca

Post by donluca »

I just use Burn for all my burning needs and never failed me so far: http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Give it a try!

Otherwise Parallels + windows is a good way to go. Used for those stupid DiscJuggler and clone cd discs.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Thanks for trying and for your explanations! ;-)

I got my USB optical drive today, Burn / LiquidCD don't work on my other machines either. Seems like all the OS X burning programs have not seen maintenance in a decade and there are just OS / drive incompatibilities in many cases.

I'll get my PATA drive in the mail this week and can then resurrect my XP laptop and keep burning this way. I never succeeded running Windows burning sofware with VMWare Player / Virtual Box, but I wonder if I could maybe setup a Live CD / boot from USB stick type setup to get Windows running on one of my Macs.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

donluca wrote:I just use Burn for all my burning needs and never failed me so far: http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Give it a try!

Otherwise Parallels + windows is a good way to go. Used for those stupid DiscJuggler and clone cd discs.
I tried Burn on my old MBP with the internal drive and on another Mac with the USB drive I just got, just crashes when it starts burning. LiquidCD just skips straight ahead to 'Finishing' and never writes anything. Guess maybe the Parallels solution might be the best since I can't get any burning software to work through Virtual Box. Maybe I'll try setting up a bootable Windows on a USB stick and see if I can boot that on one of my Macs.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

ASDR wrote:Thanks for trying and for your explanations! ;-)

I got my USB optical drive today, Burn / LiquidCD don't work on my other machines either. Seems like all the OS X burning programs have not seen maintenance in a decade and there are just OS / drive incompatibilities in many cases.

I'll get my PATA drive in the mail this week and can then resurrect my XP laptop and keep burning this way. I never succeeded running Windows burning sofware with VMWare Player / Virtual Box, but I wonder if I could maybe setup a Live CD / boot from USB stick type setup to get Windows running on one of my Macs.
Parallels is not recommended and imo is slow AF.

What you will want to do if you just need a few pc applications is create a 10 GB partition for windows 10 in “boot camp” on your Mac.

You can use either the windows cd or burn the windows iso to a bootable usb with hp usb creator tool.

Boot camp should handle most of the process for you.

Then when you boot your MAC hold the “options” key when you hear that “dunnn!” Noise and select windows 10.

You can use the internal cd or a usb cd drive and run alcohol 120 or IMG burn.
Copyright 1987
donluca

Post by donluca »

Hoagtech wrote:Parallels is not recommended and imo is slow AF.
I strongly disagree. I even use Parallels for some light gaming and for everything else is almost as fast as real hardware.

I have used both DiscJuggler and CloneCD on Parallels without issues. I'm surprised Burn crashes on your Macs, it works fine here.

Try right-clicking the app icon -> Show Contents -> Contents -> MacOS -> Burn
It will open a terminal window and when it crashes you should see the problem which caused the crash.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

It may be acceptable to use parallels for a light duty task such as burning cdr.

But parallels run OSX and Windows simultaneously vs boot camp which is runs isolated from OSX.

I have an iMac and was very disappointed with my parallels purchase and loved the speed of dual boot over running both OS at the same time.

If you haven’t used boot camp windows before I highly recommend trying it.

Also there marketing is BS they make each version of parallels only compatible with the latest OSX. Which means if you upgrade OSX you will have to pay them another 80 bucks to have a compatible version.

Unless your file sharing between between os’s I see no advantage.
Copyright 1987
donluca

Post by donluca »

I've used Boot Camp for some time -> never fucking again.

And again, I have to repeat myself: windows performance under parallels is absolutely fine.

I think you either have a very old Mac or a new one with very low specs or you have mis-configured the virtual machine, because there's absolutely no way that "It may be acceptable to use parallels for a light duty task such as burning cdr."

I've developed a HUGE project in .NET under Visual Studio in Parallels and speed has never been an issue.

I have a 2011 core i7 3.4Ghz with 16GB of RAM and dual HDD (one SSD, one traditional HDD, VM has a 10GB disk with only windows residing on the SSD and another bigger one on the HDD).

Unless you have an lowly i3 with 4GB of RAM and only a mechanical HDD you should absolutely be fine with Parallels.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Well I stated the advantage which is speed because your not running 2 OS at the same time but Im glad you are happy with your purchase.

Also recommending the OP pay $80 instead of a free utility built into OSX just to lose speed and performance is your choice.

Here is my specs. Parallels ran like poop.

Imac retina i5 3.4 ghz 8 GB Ram. 512GB SSD.
Copyright 1987
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I don't even have a mac so no horse in the race, but I have to say that given the choice between virtualization and dual boot I would take virtualization 9/10 times

dual boot sucks ass, because restarting your machine sucks ass
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I have 4 macs now (owned countless others since 1999 or so), newest of which is a 2014 and Parallels Desktop (performance wise) runs just fine for ANYTHING I've ever ran on it - that's includes even running on my measly travel laptop, a Macbook Air 11" with an i5 1.5ghz processor and a mere 4GB of RAM. Even boots up quickly in maybe 20-30 seconds off the SSD. Was even running Windows 10 off a Sandisk Extreme Pro USB stick (with true 200+ MB/sec read/write speed) for a good long while since the Macbook Air only has a 128gb SSD and space is at a premium.

Parallels actually charges a monthly (or is it yearly?) fee now so you don't have to keep buying it every time the Mac OS updates.

This is literally how I've been burning CD's and DVD's for years now. Very painless after everything is setup. I also run all the different ROM artwork scrubbers, region patch my Dreamcast discs, run all the Extron firmware updaters and control software, and other gaming specific utilities which there's not a Mac version of (which is pretty much all of them to be honest). Highly recommend it if you don't own a Windows PC and need to use some of those Windows-only programs.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

That is cool.

Running windows natively without OSX is even cooler in my book.

I dont use the OSX side of the iMac though.

It is only Windows 10.

What is that like running Mac?

Do you like paint on it and play AOL games or something?
Copyright 1987
donluca

Post by donluca »

I see.
h1ghju1ce

Post by h1ghju1ce »

I had a quick look, and I didnt see anyone mention these 2 apps:

http://www.nticorp.com/NTI-Dragon-Burn-4.html

"Supports virtually all popular image file formats: .bin, .cue, .cdr, .dmg, .iso, and and .ncd. "

or

http://simplyburns.sourceforge.net/index.php

"Burn image mode (Formats: ISO9660, DMG, CUE/BIN, cdrdao's TOC/BIN)"

they might be worth a try ?
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

SimplyBurns looks like it hasn't seen in update in ten years or so, probably bitrotted like the others, but the commercial one, Dragon Burn, seems actively maintained and has an evaluation version, might give that one a try!

I also got my PATA 2.5" HDD today, XP laptop is back up and running and of course burned a perfectly working Strikers 1945 on the first try...
NJRoadfan

Post by NJRoadfan »

It doesn't surprise me that BIN/CUE is hard to burn on a Mac. The format originated with the Windows based Golden Hawk CDRWIN. I'd say 90% of CD-R mastering software development over the years was done on Windows, the other 10% on Linux/Open Source. Macs pretty much had Adaptec/Roxio Toast all those years...... with its own special format that only Toast can burn along with the bog standard DMG!
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Dochartaigh wrote:I have 4 macs now (owned countless others since 1999 or so), newest of which is a 2014 and Parallels Desktop (performance wise) runs just fine for ANYTHING I've ever ran on it - that's includes even running on my measly travel laptop, a Macbook Air 11" with an i5 1.5ghz processor and a mere 4GB of RAM. Even boots up quickly in maybe 20-30 seconds off the SSD. Was even running Windows 10 off a Sandisk Extreme Pro USB stick (with true 200+ MB/sec read/write speed) for a good long while since the Macbook Air only has a 128gb SSD and space is at a premium.

Parallels actually charges a monthly (or is it yearly?) fee now so you don't have to keep buying it every time the Mac OS updates.

This is literally how I've been burning CD's and DVD's for years now. Very painless after everything is setup. I also run all the different ROM artwork scrubbers, region patch my Dreamcast discs, run all the Extron firmware updaters and control software, and other gaming specific utilities which there's not a Mac version of (which is pretty much all of them to be honest). Highly recommend it if you don't own a Windows PC and need to use some of those Windows-only programs.

This is what I do as well, with the Parallels yearly sub. I have a late-2013 MacBook Pro and I have a WinXP VM that's filled with practically every Dreamcast-related tool under the sun, which I use for various burning tasks. I have a bunch of other VMs as well, this one is just for burning/disc mastering for Dreamcast tasks. Everything runs fine with very little performance issues.
Hoagtech wrote:That is cool.
Running windows natively without OSX is even cooler in my book.
I dont use the OSX side of the iMac though.
It is only Windows 10.
What is that like running Mac?
Do you like paint on it and play AOL games or something?
This has got to be the most bizarre attempt at flexing I've ever seen on this board.