PSA: 8bitdo SNES Retro Receivers do not work with Multitap

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
opt2not

PSA: 8bitdo SNES Retro Receivers do not work with Multitap

Post by opt2not »

Just wanted to get this information out there, since I've been going back and forth with the 8bitdo support, in hopes that other customers don't make the mistake I did and buy 4 of these receivers expecting to play multitap games on the SNES.

I play Super Bomberman with a few buddies frequently, so when I first found out about the 8bitdo wireless controllers and receivers support for the original SNES console, I was excited to finally have a clean no-wires solution to our multiplayer nights.

Reading the official product page, 8bitdo stated that the SNES retro receiver is "Compatible with two-four Retro Receivers for multiplayer player games".

But after buying 4 controllers + receivers and trying it out on my multitap, I was having problems getting slots 3 - 5 to properly work with the Retro Receivers:

https://youtu.be/DCjy659arRk

I contacted 8bitdo's support, and I had about 20 emails back and forth of trying to get information on why this isn't working.

After a couple back and forth emails, and my mentioning that I'm using the Bomberman Multitap that was shipped as an officially licensed product, they said:
We did not test the multitap.

Probably not support.
Huh? How did you not test the only way of getting compatibility with 2-4 receivers??

Then they said:
"The development team has recently focused on new products."

"This product does support multiple devices.

But the one you're talking about is a third-party device

Development is a very difficult and lengthy process.

We have told you patiently that we have fed back to the development team, but their current focus is on other products.

Please understand the results of our work and labor."

...and brushed me off. So I made that video above, sent it to them, and asked them to get an official word from their develoipment team.

This was the response:

So there you have it, the official word.

The product page says it's compatible with 2-4 players, but it's a bold-faced lie.

I hope people don't end up wasting money like I did, hoping for 4-player wireless gaming on the SNES.
Bratwurst

Re: PSA: 8bitdo SNES Retro Receivers do not work with Multit

Post by Bratwurst »

It sounds like the multitap's not able to provide the amperage for more than one receiver plugged into it. Which could be a restriction of the SNES itself?

Certainly, shameful that this wasn't tested before 8bitdo advertised the claim.

EDIT: What are those USB ports for on the wireless receiver? I get that the controllers would have them to charge the battery. Could you supply power individually to the receivers by plugging them in with a USB cable to a simple 5V+ source?
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Bratwurst wrote:It sounds like the multitap's not able to provide the amperage for more than one receiver plugged into it. Which could be a restriction of the SNES itself?

EDIT: What are those USB ports for on the wireless receiver? I get that the controllers would have them to charge the battery. Could you supply power individually to the receivers by plugging them in with a USB cable to a simple 5V+ source?
Yeah they’re for charging and firmware updates. I would be scared to plug in an external power source when connected to another power source, though. Double voltage from both ends would certainly blow something up.

But if I modded the receiver’s to disconnect the voltage coming from the SNES, that could be interesting. Don’t know if I want to risk that though. I will suggest it to 8bitdo, maybe they can test it.
Spacemonkey

Post by Spacemonkey »

opt2not wrote:
Bratwurst wrote:It sounds like the multitap's not able to provide the amperage for more than one receiver plugged into it. Which could be a restriction of the SNES itself?

Yeah they’re for charging and firmware updates. I would be scared to plug in an external power source when connected to another power source, though. Double voltage from both ends would certainly blow something up.

But if I modded the receiver’s to disconnect the voltage coming from the SNES, that could be interesting. Don’t know if I want to risk that though. I will suggest it to 8bitdo, maybe they can test it.
How about a SNES controller extension cable between the console and the multitap, cut the 5V, and wire in an external power supply?