Nintendo Gamecube DOL-001 USA region console ?'s...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PC Engine Fan X!

Nintendo Gamecube DOL-001 USA region console ?'s...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I just scored an "Indigo" colored Gamecube with the model number of "DOL-001" that has the necessary "Digital A/V" output port for in three different methods:

1.) Japanese D-Video support
2.) Japnese RGB 21-pin support
3.) a VGA hacked cable (that is supposed outputs better than the official Sega DC VGA Box which is the best for the DC hardware platform anyways).

My first question is:

1.) Does a plain "vanilla" (meaning un-modded) USA region Gamecube need to be modified to output in any of the three above RGB output methods?

I already have a second generation XRGB-2 upscan convertor and would need a Japanese 21-pin RGB cable for my Gamecube.

I see that on the Nintendo.com site that the next batch of official Nintendo Gamecube "Component Video" cables won't be able for purchase until January 2006.

The local game stores around where I live at do not have the official Nintendo Gamecube Component Video cables to purchase...even though it was widely available at the USA Gamecube debut launch in stores back in 2001.

I did not realize that it was going to be so hard to buy a second-hand Gamecube with the model number of DOL-001 (with the essential Digital A/V output port) nowdays. It's been said that Nintendo found out that only 1% of it's Gamecube owners use the GC Component Video cable option (so naturally, they axed out the Digital A/V port on the later produced Gamecube consoles) according to their website.

2.) What digital joystick is best suited to play the GC versions of Ikaruga and the upcoming Chaos Field shmups (+ the GC version of Star Soldier)?

3.) Can a plain vanilla (meaning "stock" or unmodified) Gamecube console play mini DVD-R or mini CD-Rs for movies or music-wise?

4.) How much better is the Japanese Panasonic Gamecube Q console over the original Gamecube console in terms of versatility, etc.?

5.) A fellow shmupper mentioned that he was able to play emulated games on his Gamecube console using a special Gamecube memory card that uses an SD format card that he got off of Lik-Sang. Please point me to that particular shmup post. I'd like to check into see how to play with that particular emulation setup on my Gamecube.

Thank you for your time...

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

At this point, pretty much the only way you're going to find a component cable for a Gamecube is direct from Nintendo (or eBay.) My cube has the digital AV, but I don't have anything with the inputs for it.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
zakk

Post by zakk »

Lik-sang has gamecube component cables.