mClassics a new 4k upscaler from Marseille

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ulihox

mClassics a new 4k upscaler from Marseille

Post by ulihox »

Marseille announces a new hdmi 4k upscaler shaped like a USB stick.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/365954/mclas ... VC4I7cbCBE

Would it be real 4k?
NoAffinity

Re: mClassics a new 4k upscaler from Marseille

Post by NoAffinity »

ulihox wrote:Marseille announces a new hdmi 4k upscaler shaped like a USB stick.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/365954/mclas ... VC4I7cbCBE

Would it be real 4k?
"The mClassic won't work with older game systems that use analog video outputs like RCA and S-Video"

So, why does the picture at the start of the article show the device sitting on top of a PS1 and a NES? :?

Will be interesting to see how it performs with the consoles it is targetting, but is there really any advantage to be had in this space, with a stand-along upconverter as opposed to a TV's built-in upscaling? It's not like an HDMI input device is going to improve on a TV's "game mode", it if has one. And I dont' think theoretically it would offer any improvement if the TV doesn't have a game mode.

Setting the focus on lag aside, then the upscaling would need to be the shining feature, but of course with lag being a consideration.

"and it seemed to upconvert the system's 1080p (docked) graphics to 4K better than the TV's own upscaler. It's a pricey accessory"

That statement doesn't give a lot of confidence. (bold added for emphasis)

I don't know, I'm just having trouble seeing the purpose.

:edit: LOL, I actully read the whole article and realized the consoles in the picture are PS Classic and NES Classic. :oops: :P "(though considering the PlayStation Classic's issues with rendering and upconverting to 720p to begin with, I'll have to see that system through the device with my own eyes)." :? :?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

NoAffinity wrote:"The mClassic won't work with older game systems that use analog video outputs like RCA and S-Video"

So, why does the picture at the start of the article show the device sitting on top of a PS1 and a NES? :?
It doesn't. It's pictured on top of a PlayStation Classic and a NES Classic, both of which have HDMI output and should work perfectly fine with this new mCable doodad. Misleading to the retro community for sure.

Also, from the article:
TFA wrote:...but Chabane indicated they are exploring the possibility of a retro gaming upconverter that can handle legacy inputs.
Should be interesting to see if/how a new scaler would compare against the OSSC, Framemeister, and RetroTINK 2X.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

If it does offer better upscaling than the built-in TV scalers, then it might be neat to pair it with an OSSC to upscale 720p to 4k. Though line5x is incredibly sharp with my TCL's built-in scaling, so I kinda doubt it. Would be especially cool if it offers perfect compatibility with the OSSC, too, for people with TVs that don't. High quality deinterlacer would also be nice, but I doubt it has that.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I also doubt that it has 4:4:4 processing, so 720p to 4K from OSSC would already take a visible hit in quality. And it remains to be seen how it handles various input refresh rates.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

It wouldn't surprise me if this is like those upscaler boxes and cables that promise th do upscaling better than your TV but all they're doing is sharpening edges and other processing to fool people into thinking that they have a better picture with them.
Larrs888

Post by Larrs888 »

I recently picked up a new Sony 4k TV over xmas and it's X-Reality Pro scaling engine does a pretty decent job making my Super NT set in 720p mode with scanlines look excellent, as well as upscaling my base PS4 1080p. I was sceptical whether the TV's scaler would look any good but I am pleasantly surprised. I suspect this M-scaler to be snake oil but lets wait and find out.