SCART switches combo for a total of 15 inputs and 3 outputs

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
aioneldotnet

SCART switches combo for a total of 15 inputs and 3 outputs

Post by aioneldotnet »

I'm looking for a solution that would allow me to connect about 15 (actually exactly 13 right now, but you never know) consoles outputting RGB via SCART connectors to 3 devices: Framemeister, OSSC and directly to TV (it does not support 240p natively and treats it as 480i, but it's a fallback solution for problematic games frequently switching resolutions).

Yes, I know there are various Extron CrossPoint devices but they are way to large for my setup, plus shipping something that big and heavy from US to Europe would cost a fortune and there are all the additional costs of the SCART to BNC + sound connectors and cabling, so it's way out of my league.

I would rather want either mechanical or electronic SCART switch with 15 inputs and 3 outputs. My preference is either manual or automatic with manual override. It doesn't have to be fully wired, only RGB and sound is needed. Also only one of the devices at the output side of this switch would be working at the same time. Since there are no switches I am aware with so many inputs/outputs (W-Hydra2 comes close with 16 inputs and 2 outputs) I would need to connect a few of them.

Bandridge SVB7725 is cheap (about 30 € right now) and has good reputation for having no losses and no interference even when chaining multiple of them. It seems that 4 of them would give me more than 15 inputs, when connecting 3 slave switches to 1 other master switch (that is by using a star connection topology) + even 2 additional inputs still free in the master switch. In such case each console would be passing signal only via 2 switches (first 1 slave and then 1 master) which seems to be less lossy connection topology as opposed to daisy-chaining all 4 switches.

The problem is that all of these would still result in one output. So I'm thinking of either:
- using yet another switch (but this would need to have 3 inputs and 1 output - I'm not sure if Bandridge or other switches such as the Otaku one is able to work in reverse direction, while the RGBS lines doesn't care about the direction I'm not sure about the sound lines since there are separate input and output pins in SCART plugs),
- using SCART distribution amplifier (with 1 input and multiple outputs).

Shinybow SB-3715 is one of such amplifiers. It has 1 input and 4 outputs. I didn't find any opinions on it, but the Shinybow devices such as SB-5510 (4:2 SCART routing switch) have good reputation. Also the price (about 120 €) is still acceptable for me.

Any thoughts on such setup?
AndehX

Re: SCART switches combo for a total of 15 inputs and 3 outp

Post by AndehX »

As far as your 240p to 480i switching goes, if you don't mind a bit of DIY soldering, why not look into a GBS8200 with GBS Control custom firmware? they cost about $20 and handle 240p-480i switching perfectly. Not to mention they upscale almost as good as a framemeister, and have much less lag. If you were to replace your framemeister with this setup for instance, you could make quite a bit of money, selling on your framemeister. This setup would of course, also eliminate the need to have your consoles directly connected to the TV.
I actually made a video to demonstrate the GBS8200 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7FooVlXegg

As for you SCART switch problem, all I can recommend off the top of my head is a couple of gscart switches.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

If you're going to link multiple passive switchers, like the SVB7725, you should keep the SCART cabling as short as possible, and make sure you use the highest-quality shielded cables you can afford.

If you need 480p+ (RGsB) support from a PS2 without applying a hardware mod, you should get one of the newest 5.x series gscartsw units, as they have the ability to convert RGsB to RGBS, and daisy-chain that with another SCART switch.

You won't be able to use a SCART switcher as a distribution amplifier; even if SCART wasn't directional (RGB isn't directional, but audio and sync are), switchers won't work in reverse.

Honestly, I'd take a chance on the SB-3715. ShinyBow has been a fairly reputable company, and I'm sure you'd be able to return it if it doesn't work for you.
strygo

Post by strygo »

I have the SB-3720 1x8 distribution amplifier and it works great. I previously had the 1x4 but ended up needing more outputs. That model did its job well too.