shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:12 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: McWill GG Screen Mod
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:13 am 

Just had my Game Gear modded with McWill's screen and I absolutely love it. It's a complete game changer from the dated lack-luster screen from the 90s.

While I have been playing through my library, I noticed something odd when I played Castle of Illusion. When I tried to scroll through the various scaling options, rather than having the 4 typical options, it was reduced to 2 - full screen and original resolution. However, the original resolution mode is significantly larger (uses more of the screens real estate) than on other carts. I decided to test out my JP copy and it was the same, as well as when I use my Master Gear to play Master System games.

Has anyone else experienced this? Were some game gear games ported in the same resolution as their Master System counterparts?

Any help would be great.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: McWill GG Screen Mod
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:50 am 

Some GG carts run in SMS mode. Castle of Illusion is one of them. Rastan is another one. If I remember correctly, Prince of Persia also runs in SMS mode.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:25 am 

Easy way to tell if your running the SMS version of castle of illusion is A button starts the game.
GG version needs the start button pushed. Jump attacks work differently between the 2 versions also.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:51 am 

Syntax wrote:
Easy way to tell if your running the SMS version of castle of illusion is A button starts the game.
GG version needs the start button pushed. Jump attacks work differently between the 2 versions also.

That wasn't what he was asking. While it has some differences from the SMS version, the GG version of Castle of Illusion runs in SMS resolution mode.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 am 

There are 2 GG versions of that game, 1 that runs in SMS mode and one that doesnt.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:38 pm 

BrianC wrote:
Some GG carts run in SMS mode. Castle of Illusion is one of them. Rastan is another one. If I remember correctly, Prince of Persia also runs in SMS mode.

Thank you! that's what I thought but I couldn't find anything online.

Is there a way to force SMS mode? Everdrive?

It looks spectacle on the McWill screen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:18 pm 

Seni-offtopic, but is there any update on the nomad mod he was supposedly working on?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:49 am 

Syntax wrote:
There are 2 GG versions of that game, 1 that runs in SMS mode and one that doesnt.

The only ROM version I know of runs in SMS mode. Maybe you are thinking of Land of Illusion (unless the version of Castle of Illusion that doesn't run in SMS mode hasn't been dumped)? Land of Illusion doesn't run in SMS mode. As far as I know, the GG Castle of Illusion can be run on SMS via flash cart, but won't be playable due to need the GG start button to start.

Edit: Tested GG Castle of Illusion on Genesis via Mega Everdrive. Was able to view the intro and title screen, but the game couldn't be started due to start being remapped to the GG Start button. The GG version of Castle of Illusion also uses a different font and different graphics for the treasure chest.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:16 am 

spmbx wrote:
Seni-offtopic, but is there any update on the nomad mod he was supposedly working on?

My info may be a little dated, but I believe there was an issue with the clock, and a company overseas reverse engineering a screen.

Would love to have a McWill screen in my Nomad, but my current LCD modded Nomad is keeping me happy at the moment.

Offline Profile