Original fat JP NTSC 60GB PS3 and 230V ?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
parodius

Original fat JP NTSC 60GB PS3 and 230V ?

Post by parodius »

Hi

I'd like to know if I can use my launch PS3 (NTSC JP, 60GB) on 230V directly instead of using a 110V step down converter like I've always done until now ?
The sticker at the back does only mention 110V, but the idea came to my mind because I've read about other JP electronic items from the same era (TVs) which do support 230V unoficially.

Googling mostly came up with report for later slim PS3 models, but I did find someone who said it was supported but not officially mentionned because it would have required some additional certification from Sony.

I obviously don't want to try blindly, and would like to avoid having to open the PS3 to check any markings on the PSU - which might not be there anyway.

So, anyone with first hand experience on that matter can confirm if it's supported or not ?

Cheers, and Happy New Year everyone !
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
クリスチャン

Re: Original fat JP NTSC 60GB PS3 and 230V ?

Post by クリスチャン »

Most PS3 PSUs are dual voltage. Mild correction here though, North America mains is 120VAC not 110VAC (a common misnomer) and Japan is 100VAC. Most step down transformers just half the voltage so what you end up getting is 115VAC (in the EU at least) from those which is just fine.

Sauce: http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Power_Supply
parodius

Re: Original fat JP NTSC 60GB PS3 and 230V ?

Post by parodius »

Perfect, thanks for pointing to this Wiki !

Code: Select all

All the PS3 models have a built in universal power supply and supports multivoltage (except some PS3 FAT models with power supplies LSEB1226B1, LSEB1254A1 or APS-227 that are rated as 220-240V input, so cant operate with voltages under 220V). What this means is that even though a specific voltage is written on the outside of the PS3, the PS3 can actually be plugged into any voltage anywhere in the world and work (as long as you have the correct cable). Therefore, if you opened up the PS3, the supported voltages should be stated (on the power supply) as 100V-240V, which is the range for all power outlets in the world.
To summarize all the PSUs that support 1X0 volts also support 2X0.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.