Temperature for storing CRTs

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
andykara2003

Temperature for storing CRTs

Post by andykara2003 »

Does anyone have knowledge of the safe temperature range to store CRTs? I mean not just an educated guess, but concrete knowledge of what temperature components start to degrade?

I have a collection of CRTs in the cellar - the dehumidifier keeps the humidity at around 55% which is perfect - but the temperature sits at around 13-14 degrees. I don't want to use a heater as that would use a lot of electricity.
nmalinoski

Re: Temperature for storing CRTs

Post by nmalinoski »

I'm no expert, but my understanding (from being on the periphery of people who keep arcade machines in their garages) has been that it's okay to let CRTs get that cold, just don't turn them on when they're that cold or they'll get damaged.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Keep the humidity low and the temperature constant. I would recommend 50-60 F 40 H
Copyright 1987
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Basically, avoid humidity and make sure it doesn't get too cold. Like below 32F.
Keade

Post by Keade »

nmalinoski wrote:just don't turn them on when they're that cold or they'll get damaged.
Could you source this or tell us more ?
"official" requirements for the CRT Mitsubishi 2070SB (from the manual), for instance, are extremely lax:
Operating Temperature:
+5°C to +35°C/+41°F to +90°F
Humidity:10% to 90%
Altitude:0 ft (0 m) ~ 10,000 ft (3,000 m)

Storage Temperature:
-20°C to +60°C/-4°F to +140°F
Humidity:10% to 90%
Altitude:0 ft (0 m) ~ 50,000 ft (15,000 m)
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Keade wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:just don't turn them on when they're that cold or they'll get damaged.
Could you source this or tell us more ?
Condensation from the abrupt temperature shift is one concern, it's also less stressful on the individual components. An ice cube cracking when dropped into a warmer glass of water, etc. A manufacturer's goal is for the product to last reasonably enough past the warranty period that the average consumer will consider their brand again for future purchases.
Keade

Post by Keade »

Fair points !
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Basically if the crt is fully covered up to avoid heavy dust buildup or other stuff from the cellar, I think it should be ok. Older tv's were better built in some ways than new electronics which are sometimes more sensitive one could argue.