cps2 help test

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
glaysonmestre

cps2 help test

Post by glaysonmestre »

I would like to know how do I test this cps2, I would also like to know how to connect this cable correctly because it connects from any side, I would just like to test this system, I just need to connect the 5v that it will connect? or do you have any buttons on it to call? I do not understand I'm new to this type of system, if you have something related in the forum, I'm sorry because I'm Brazilian.Image

NoAffinity

Re: cps2 help test

Post by NoAffinity »

Reference the jamma pinout.

You need 12v and 5v. I dont believe cps2 requires -5v. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.arcadetreasure.com/techinfo/techinfo.htm

In order to use a PC power supply, you'll need to jumper the appropriate pins on the atx connector.

https://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply

Does that answer the question?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
glaysonmestre

Post by glaysonmestre »

I would like to know which side fits the cable, I think the old owner of this card has connected the cable in a wrong way and the card does not work anymore, if or the jamma plug can connect from any side ??? if they turned it wrong it spoiled ??? If it's spoiled, will it be that you've just ruined the game or the motherboard? do not have any protection to plug the plug jamma wrong? :|
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

It will not be damaged if you plug it in the wrong way momentarily, but I wouldn't leave it that way for any extended periods of time.

Take the JAMMA connector off, apply power, and find which pins have +5V. The first two pins on both ends and on both sides are ground. The third pin in from the end will either be +5V or nothing.

To properly apply the connector, the third pin in from the left will be +5V.

glaysonmestre

Post by glaysonmestre »

This way it did not work, did it burn the board or the game?

Is there no protection on the board when it goes wrong? a fuse? I could not open it, I do not have the key.

NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Well, if those bare wires happened to short to each other while power was applied, it could have caused some damage. At least use some electric tape, to make things safe.

With just power and ground connected, I'm not sure what you're expecting to see, but the board should power, and the fan should come on. However, you may have a dead fan, so that wouldn't necessarily tell you if the board is working or not.

with a properly wired jamma connector, if the connector is applied incorrectly for short periods, it will not harm the board.

There are no fuses on the board. But, there is a battery on the top board, which keeps an encryption key alive. When the battery dies, the game will no longer boot. You will get a solid color screen, typically blue or green, but not always those colors. If the battery has died, it may have also leaked on to the board and caused damage. Get a T-20 "security" torx bit and open the board, to see if the battery has caused damage.
glaysonmestre

Post by glaysonmestre »

https://youtu.be/3opR7cGy_Og

I bought the keys to open the motherboard, the battery inside it is leak free, what is the voltage of the cooler so I can test and see if it is the one that is in trouble.

NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

That's a capacitor, not a battery. And thats the wrong board you need to open up. Open the top board. See this video for more info:

https://youtu.be/-obPmU6gigU

If your top board is known good, then disregard that.

The fan is 12v. Will probably run higher than 12v, like 12.5-13v. That's not as important as making sure 5v is on point. If 5v is too low, the game wont boot. If it's too high theres potential for damage. You want it to be right at 5.0-5.1v, at the edge connector. Never more than 5.1v.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
glaysonmestre

Post by glaysonmestre »

But the battery may be thw cause of the motherboard not working?it does not work separately? The side of the capacitor has 6v battery.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

There is no battery on the motherboard (bottom board). Correct, the two boards work separately. The battery at the top board would not affect the motherboard.

Do you have some canned air, to clean off the debris and dust? That would be a good first step.

Then, make sure all socketed chips are firmly seated in their sockets.

Then, check voltage at the edge connector. Follow the 12V line across the board, and verify component are working along the way.

You can also trace the fan circuit back to figure out where that circuit is failing.

If the fan circuit failed at some point, and the motherboard continued to be operated with no cooling, it's likely that components eventually overheated and failed.
glaysonmestre

Post by glaysonmestre »

there is no track where the cooler is turned up and down there is no track I have no idea where to start to test this board, there is no service manual ?? is there any video somewhere in the world doing repair and testing the components with a mutimeter and finding fault showing the way the voltages go?