8Bitdo Wireless Bluetooth Controller for SNES/Super NT

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
neorichieb1971

8Bitdo Wireless Bluetooth Controller for SNES/Super NT

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Hi,

I am reading very conflicting reviews on the SNES controller from 8bitdo. Apparently the d-pad is unusable for some games. Meanwhile some reviews give the pad a 5 star rating across the board, even citing it could get 6 stars.

I know a lot of you guys are experts in the field of joypads, so can we discuss what is the best wireless pad for the SNES/SFC?

I have a Classic Mini SNES, Super NT on the way and 2 original Super Famicoms.

I am also confused between variants in the names. Whats a YIKESHU?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YIKESHU-Wirele ... sf30+retro

Thanks all,

Richie.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Dochartaigh

Re: 8Bitdo Wireless Bluetooth Controller for SNES/Super NT

Post by Dochartaigh »

I have four of the 8BitDo's - 2x/each for my NES and SNES. Really can't ding them. Haven't noticed glaring issues on the games I've played them with so far (which has been a decent amount of playing - used to use them on RP3 RetroPie builds as well). I think original is a little bit better of course, but those are hard to beat (and they're certainly not wireless).
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

What he said. They are a close second to a wired OEM controller. The D pad is not as good but no one needs to tell you that if you want the best experience you should use the original controller.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I have two of the original SNES30s and two of the 2.4Gs for the Classic console.

The build quality is as impressive as advertised but the D-pad issues are real. Lapsed childhood gamers and people who don't play certain games don't notice and this is where you get the "6 star" blown-away reviews.

Contra III is 100% unplayable. You can hold directly down on the pad and watch as your character stands up and runs into the nearest bullet - the controller fires off diagonals for zero acceptable reason. Google complaints and you'll find others making the exact same point.

This is for the original Bluetooth pad - the newer 2.4Gs are better, but sadly are not the ones you'd be buying. Before you ask, from what I've read the revised SN30 Bt pads behave (inexplicably) like the originals I have and not like the 2.4s.

I believe 8bitdo made a good-faith effort in producing these, but were only able to replicate the build and not the peformance of Nintendo's pads. Based on your question, I think you will be as disappointed as I was. Sadly, there is really nothing else comparable. Best I can say is: at launch, the SNES30 was $40 and the receivers were $20. If the newer pads are selling for significantly less - like $30 combined - maybe give it a shot. At original prices, no way.

***duh, there is another possibility - 8bitdo are also now selling PCB kits to transform your actual SNES pads into Bluetooth. You'll be taking the same leap of faith that the final product performs properly, and I don't know myself. But it might be cheaper and I suppose the use of OEM externals and membranes is a positive indicator.***
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

There's a wireless kit 8bitdo sell that fit original SNES controllers (Not sure about the Snes JR/Mini) that replace the PCB but keeps the original membranes/buttons/shell etc

I have one but not fitted it yet myself but heard it's quite good.

EDIT: What bigbadboaz said
Gara

Post by Gara »

https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/mod-ki ... controller

This with a new SNES Classic controller. Pair it with the wireless receiver of your choice. It's wonderful. There is also a version for original SNES controllers but you may as well enjoy a new one with the classic. It's been my controller of choice for a couple months now. The battery is small but there are battery mods out there if you're handy with a soldering iron.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ij5uN7j
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

I’ve got 4x of the original bluetooth SNES controller’s, 4x or the NES pcb kits installed in 2x orinogal NES pads and 2x Classic NES pads.

All of them have great d-pads. 100 % playable in Contra 3, SF2T, playformers. You name it. I’m very fickle with d-pad quality, and these have not disappointed me.

The d-pad complaints are either vastly exaggerated, or perhaps the quality of the later batches have went down. But all my controller’s d-pads are next to perfect compared to the original OEM’s.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I can assure you the D-pad issue is not exaggerated on the pair I received. Glad you had better luck.

Regarding the PCB kit, I would recommend using original pads if you go that route. The Classic pads are very good but there is a noticeable difference; to me not in their favor.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Yeah, definitely go with the real OEM controllers if you can spare 'em. I am keeping a few of these NES originals stock because they're still in great shape and had minor usage.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Personally I found the dpad on mine perfect, it responds exactly as it should.

However, it is not a SNES dpad, which is more unresponsive on diagonals than it should be and some SNES games are designed around that.

That's why I found playing Contra III slightly harder on my 8BitDo dpad.
bigbadboaz wrote:Contra III is 100% unplayable. You can hold directly down on the pad and watch as your character stands up and runs into the nearest bullet - the controller fires off diagonals for zero acceptable reason. Google complaints and you'll find others making the exact same point.
I've never had that happen on mine. The sensitivity on the corners means I've accidentally pressed them sure, but holding buttons directly down and paying attention to it and still getting the wrong direction? No.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

No exaggeration. It's maddening. I was so hoping the first controller was defective, but broke out the second one and it was the exact same.

My 2.4s behave the way you describe - more sensitive than a Nintendo pad to a degree that is actually positive; diagonals are more usable. The original Bt's? No way. The diagonals make them unusable :(
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

That’s weird. All of my original BT’s are fantastic. None of the things described here. I’m really wondering if the later batches had quality issues. When did you all buy yours?
Mine are from the initial opening sales, first batch.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Mine were in the middle of the run, bought with some hesitation after reading similar complaints earlier on. And as I mentioned, I've read similar things about the current SN30s.

It seems like a random lottery of sorts.
Listai

Post by Listai »

I have one pretty poor SF30 that has a loose clicky d-pad and another that seems to be a later revision that feels a little heavier and has a better d-pad, both were pretty underwhelming.

That said I don't use either of them anymore as I instead bought the 8Bitdo DIY kits for my SNES Classic controllers and I haven't looked back. Superb OEM build quality with the convenience of Bluetooth on my SFC.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

It's fortunate the DIY kits seem to be working out, as most speculation regarding the Dpad issues on their controllers has centered around PCB layout. Given that the kits are basically a purely PCB product..

But all feedback on those does indeed seem positive. Given a choice I'd certainly go that route of the two.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Thanks all. Will try the kit if I can find some SFC controllers.

Otherwise will try an 8bitdo.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

bigbadboaz wrote:It's fortunate the DIY kits seem to be working out, as most speculation regarding the Dpad issues on their controllers has centered around PCB layout. Given that the kits are basically a purely PCB product..

But all feedback on those does indeed seem positive. Given a choice I'd certainly go that route of the two.
8Bitdo have actually finally changed the D-pad PCB contacts to match the original Nintendo design for both their NES and SNES DIY kits (But not the button contacts, although thats much less important) so its actually not surprising that people are pleased with their D-pad responsiveness. Its a shame though that the same can't be said for their Sega MD 6-button DIY Kit, which still uses their old D-pad contact design, when really they needed to use the original Sega D-pad contact design:-

Unfortunately 8Bitdo do not appear to have updated their bluetooth controller PCB designs, so their D-pads are still overly sensitive compared to original Nintendo controllers. I told 8Bitdo about this issue years ago (2015!) on their forum:-
https://web.archive.org/web/20170413043 ... 6-1-1.html
They eventually responded by stating that they wanted their controllers to be more sensitive like the Xbox 360 controller :roll:
Their forums were closed a while ago, so I can only assume they no longer want community input.

Earlier this year I found the contact details for the founder of 8Bitdo and asked them why 8Bitdo didnt use the same D-pad PCB contact as the original design and they responded "Thank you for you suggestion. Actually we are moving the PCB from now to original. The future 8BitDo products will use original PCB design" However, I purchased the latest model SN30 'G Classic Edition' in November, and although it was manufactured in July 2018 unfortunately it still uses the old D-pad contact design :( (Although nicely they do appear to have changed the standard philips screws to torx heads making it more difficult for most people to take apart and check)

What I find really depressing is that 8Bitdo have actually already used the original Nintendo D-pad and button contact designs on their N30 2.4G controller:-
https://fccid.io/2AOWF-24GN30NC/Interna ... os-3947852
So their PCB designers clearly already have the contact designs copied and available for use, yet they still haven't changed/updated their bluetooth models to use the same contacts :evil:
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

So how is the control response on the MD kit?
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Im thinking about buying these kits for my snes and nes. is it worth it?

Based on the fact that they use the original gamepad rubber and dpad and pcb designs,

It would seem that these would be indistingusible from a fully original controller, and much better than buying a controller from 8bitdo.

am i right?

also, how long do the batteries last in these between charges? i dont want to have to charge them much.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I read somewhere (if my memory is correct) that you can get 20+ hours continuous usage out of one battery charge.

You have to remember there very basic with no rumble or LED's to speak of.

20 hours would last me weeks
justice99

Post by justice99 »

Hello,

Maybe you should try this method:

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/c ... ible_dpad/
YellowLem0n
2 points ·
9 months ago

I did this mod on my SFC30 (non-pro original old model with the nice box) and my SF30 (non-pro newer version that comes in the cheaper box but is otherwise the same) and it is FANTASTIC.

SNES games like Contra 3, Jurassic Park, Tetris etc no longer get false diagonals.

I initially tried with just one piece of tape per pad, but found it best with four pieces of tape per pad like in your directions.

THANK YOU FOR THE PHOTOS!
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

I'm having problems connecting 4x 8bitdo Retro Receivers to a Multitap. When I power up my SNES with the multitap populated for 4 players, P3 and P4's Receivers LEDs flash rapidly and do not connect to my controllers. I've tried every combination, including just connecting 1 receiver to ports 3 and 4. Still the same. It's almost like P3 and P4 aren't giving out enough voltage or something.

I've made a video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCjy659arRk

I tried contacting 8bitdo, and they told me:
8bitdo wrote: We did not test the multitap.

Probably not support.

The development team has recently focused on new products.

Thank you for your email and feedback.
How did they not test the multitap, yet they clearly state on their website that it's "compatible with two-four Retro Receivers for multiplayer player games"

Does anyone else have an official Multitap and Retro Receivers that can verify my findings?