Framemeister XRGB-mini - Blurry Sprites?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
erik343

Framemeister XRGB-mini - Blurry Sprites?

Post by erik343 »

Hi,

I have the Framemeister XRGB-mini, and I am using it with the NES. I also loaded a profile from the firebrandx website: http://www.firebrandx.com/framemeisterprofiles.html

I am using the profile for 1080p - Deep Colour:
04NES5X.BIN

The issue is that when I play Super Mario Bros (1), Mario has some blurry pixels surrounding his sprite. These extra pixels are a color that is in between the outer sprite pixels (for example, red on Mario's hat ...) and the background color (like light blue for the sky ...). I suspect that this is anti-aliasing causing this (to make it look softer), and I would like to disable this feature. If I run an emulated version of Mario Bros, there are no blurry pixels surrounding Mario's sprite. This game is very pixilated, and I do not want any filters running like this, but other games look good with this turned on. Also, if I stand further away from the TV, the issue becomes less noticeable.

What causes this, and is there any setting to fix the problem?

Thanks,
Erik W.
SavagePencil

Re: Framemeister XRGB-mini - Blurry Sprites?

Post by SavagePencil »

What kind of cables are you running from your NES to the Framemeister?
erik343

Post by erik343 »

At first, I had a RCA/Composite video cable hooked up from the NES into the Framemeister.
I also tried using a AV to S-Video adapter and then hooked it up to the NES video/rca port, and then I connected a S-Video cable to the adapter and the Framemesiter.

Both connections had the sprite artifacts, but the AV connection was worse than the S-Video connection.

I am also using Monster Cables!
Kez

Post by Kez »

What you're seeing is likely 'dot crawl' from the composite output of the NES, there is not much you can do about it unless you RGB mod the NES. Check out My Life in Gaming's "how to get the best picture from your NES" for more info.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

The problem is that composite is already your lowest quality. You can’t “add quality” further down the chain with a conversion to S-Video. For the NES, you’re looking at needing it modded to get a higher quality out of it. You’ll likely need to invest in some SCART cables.

In addition to the video listed above, I’d recommend starting your quest at https://www.retrorgb.com
erik343

Post by erik343 »

Thanks for the advise guys, I will look into RGB modding my NES!

Also, the funny thing I noticed is that ONLY the first Mario Bros has the issue lol.

Also, the S-Video port is WAY sharper than the RCA/AV port.