PS1 vs PS2 SCART cables? (re: 200uF capacitors)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
sofakng

PS1 vs PS2 SCART cables? (re: 200uF capacitors)

Post by sofakng »

What's the difference between the SCART cables for a PS1 and PS2?

I've purchased a PS2 SCART cable from RetroGamingCables and it says that it has 200uF capacitors. According to them, a PS1 cable shouldn't have these capacitors.

Can I use my PS2 SCART cable (with the 200uF capacitors) on my PS1? What might be different than using a correct cable that doesn't have these capacitors?
Lawfer

Re: PS1 vs PS2 SCART cables? (re: 200uF capacitors)

Post by Lawfer »

sofakng wrote:What's the difference between the SCART cables for a PS1 and PS2?
PS1 220uf Capacitors (220uf is what Sony used for their official PS1 RGB cables)

PS2 No Capacitors

sofakng wrote:I've purchased a PS2 SCART cable from RetroGamingCables and it says that it has 200uF capacitors. According to them, a PS1 cable shouldn't have these capacitors.
Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

sofakng wrote:Can I use my PS2 SCART cable (with the 200uF capacitors) on my PS1? What might be different than using a correct cable that doesn't have these capacitors?
Yeah, you can even use it on a PS2, but a PS2 scart cable to use on a PS2 console should have no capacitors since the capacitors are already inside the console.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Ooops! I misread the cables website. You are right that the PS1 cable has the capacitors and not the PS2 cable.

With that said, will my PS2 cable (no capacitors) work on a PS1? What will be different in the video or audio because of the no capacitors?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

sofakng wrote:With that said, will my PS2 cable (no capacitors) work on a PS1?
No don't use it, you need a cable with capacitors in it.

sofakng wrote:What will be different in the video or audio because of the no capacitors?
Capacitors are there for a reason, it won't be attenuated so don't use it and get a PS1 RGB cable instead with 220uf capacitors in it.
Gara

Post by Gara »

This has come up a few times. Here are some useful links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brMW6KFue-I#t=22m00s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brMW6KFue-I#t=23m55s

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61221

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62287

Visual artifacts seem to be the side effect of using improper cables.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

In those links at most I saw one comment about the 1000uf caps solution having a slight disadvantage when used on a PS2, but does anyone know if there's any disadvantages from using a 1000uf cable on a PS1?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

fernan1234 wrote:In those links at most I saw one comment about the 1000uf caps solution having a slight disadvantage when used on a PS2, but does anyone know if there's any disadvantages from using a 1000uf cable on a PS1?
1000uf? Isn't that overkill? As mentioned Sony themselves used 220uf on their PS1 RGB cables, so I would say that's a sure indication that's what is supposed to be used. Retro-Access is also using 220uf on their PS1 RGB cables.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Lawfer wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:In those links at most I saw one comment about the 1000uf caps solution having a slight disadvantage when used on a PS2, but does anyone know if there's any disadvantages from using a 1000uf cable on a PS1?
1000uf? Isn't that overkill? As mentioned Sony themselves used 220uf on their PS1 RGB cables, so I would say that's a sure indication that's what is supposed to be used. Retro-Access is also using 220uf on their PS1 RGB cables.
1000uF allows you to use the cable on both consoles. Retro-access also offers a PS1/PS2/PS3 cable option that has 1000uF caps. I forget if there are any disadvantages though.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Lawfer wrote:

Retro access uses 1000uf caps on all her Playstation cables unless you specify different. Oddly it does not explicitly state this in all psx listings.

https://retro-access.com/collections/pl ... -cord-lead

It allows the cables to be used across all systems. I personally don't notice any difference using these cables.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Gara wrote:
Lawfer wrote:

Retro access uses 1000uf caps on all her Playstation cables unless you specify different. Oddly it does not explicitly state this in all psx listings.

https://retro-access.com/collections/pl ... -cord-lead

It allows the cables to be used across all systems. I personally don't notice any difference using these cables.
FBX did mention that there is a difference, but you need to do a side by side comparison to notice it. I am someone that used to play games on a PS2 using a Sony PS1 RGB cable, but after FBX mentioned that there is a picture degradation, then I switched and got proper cables from Retro-Access (no capacitors on PS2 cable and 220uf capacitors on PS1 cable).
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Or just use the stock component cable for ps2 with a scart breakout.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Syntax wrote:Or just use the stock component cable for ps2 with a scart breakout.
The component cable won't be able to transmit 15kHz RGB from either the PS1 or PS2, which is ostensibly the point of using a SCART cable to begin with, no?.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

My component cable has 6 rca on it. So yes it can. Might not be stock though it's been awhile.

My monster one is missing composite video so that's a no go.

You would have to find a scart breakout with rgbs.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

I made the whole thing much less confusing and simply removed the capacitors from my PS2. That way I can use the same cable on the PS1 and PS2 and they both look correct. :P
Taiji_Mods

Post by Taiji_Mods »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Lawfer wrote:
1000uF allows you to use the cable on both consoles. Retro-access also offers a PS1/PS2/PS3 cable option that has 1000uF caps. I forget if there are any disadvantages though.

Technically these cables would be out of spec for a PS2. RGB signals need an AC coupling capacitor of value between 220uF and 1000uF. Attaching cables with 1000uF caps to a PS2 would give a total series capacitance of 180uF which is below the bare minimum of 220uF.

It would be better to have either 2 cables (no caps/ 220uF - 1000uF caps) or internally mod the ps1 with caps. Or use @andehX solution ^^
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Syntax wrote:My component cable has 6 rca on it. So yes it can. Might not be stock though it's been awhile.

Ordinary component cables are 5 rca.
It isn't enough for red, green, blue, sync, left audio, and right audio.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

theclaw wrote:
Syntax wrote:My component cable has 6 rca on it. So yes it can. Might not be stock though it's been awhile.

Ordinary component cables are 5 rca.
It isn't enough for red, green, blue, sync, left audio, and right audio.
This. The only 6xRCA component cable I've ever seen in practice is the Xbox 360 component cable, which has one group of three for YPbPr and another for analogue stereo and composite video. The component video cables for consoles like the Xbox, PS2, PS3, GameCube, Wii, DVD players, and cable boxes generally all only had 5x RCA, because you don't really need to be running composite video alongside YPbPr, and regions where RGB is a thing have SCART (or the VGA adapter for the 360).
James-F

Post by James-F »

I use PS1 cable (with caps) from VGP for the PS1 and PS2.
I don't see any difference between cables with or without caps on the PS2.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

James-F wrote:I use PS1 cable (with caps) from VGP for the PS1 and PS2.
I don't see any difference between cables with or without caps on the PS2.
AFAIK usually the same RGB cable will work on PS1, PS2, or PS3.
I'm not sure in what situations the caps become an issue.
James-F

Post by James-F »

I believe the caps are there for AC coupling, nothing more.
They also form a highpass filter with 200uF the 75ohm load at around 10Hz, it doesn't affect the image.
Taiji_Mods

Post by Taiji_Mods »

James-F wrote:I believe the caps are there for AC coupling, nothing more.
They also form a highpass filter with 200uF the 75ohm load at around 10Hz, it doesn't affect the image.

It is unlikely to cause a noticeable drop in picture quality, using an AC coupling capacitance of 180uF (PS2 220uF + cable 1000uF). I was just saying it's out of spec for standard analogue video AC coupling. Having no AC coupling capacitor at all will result in picture issues (darkening).
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Taiji_Mods wrote:
James-F wrote:I believe the caps are there for AC coupling, nothing more.

It is unlikely to cause a noticeable drop in picture quality, using an AC coupling capacitance of 180uF (PS2 220uF + cable 1000uF). I was just saying it's out of spec for standard analogue video AC coupling. Having no AC coupling capacitor at all will result in picture issues (darkening).
may or my not be an issue but using that low of a coupling capacitance could cause field/line tilt

it's probably ok though