Why is 480p larger on CRT monitor screen than 960p w/ OSSC?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thetallguy24

Re: Why is 480p larger on CRT monitor screen than 960p w/ OS

Post by thetallguy24 »

Gunstar wrote:
I've not seen something like that before, closest I can think of is that it's a little bit like the top screen bend you get on an Extron RGB unit when you have one of the dipswitches set on/off (I forget which), the DDSP? but different as it seems to be only at the edges. What's your OSSC settings and console/game?
I think it may be the Tendak. I took everything downstairs and hooked it up to my Plasma TV.

First test was OSSC -> Tendak -> Victsing VGA to HDMI adapter -> TV
Color sucks, the issue is still there

Second test was OSSC -> TV
No issue. Color and quality looks great
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

20 mins of searching and I cant find a link or picture of the issue for you ffs.
I know there's reference to it in the NESRGB thread but doing this off my phone is hard.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Gunstar wrote:There's noticeable jitter if you're using a Tendak on an LCD/Flatscreen of sorts (I believe people want these type of DACs to use on their Flatscreen's VGA port to bypass any TV processing), you'll see jitter on 'high-end' DACs too like with the HDFury range, not sure there's a 100% perfect DAC out there. Analogue will be releasing a DAC and there's some hope it'll be better than what's readily available now.

For analogue displays it's not as much of an issue as it's more of a micro jitter on a single line and, at least in my testing on a PC CRT, it's barely noticeable. I've seen micro jitter on a direct digital connection to an LCD with an OSSC so it's tolerable imo
so is the tendak is just "passing through" jitter that's already present on the signal? or are you saying it's introducing the jitter itself?
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

the Goat wrote:
tongshadow wrote:OSSC is good on monitor CRTs because you can add scanlines and deal with 240p/480i better.
CRT monitors already have scanlines.
Pretty sure that PC CRT Monitors that use VGA standards do not.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

tongshadow wrote:
the Goat wrote:
tongshadow wrote:OSSC is good on monitor CRTs because you can add scanlines and deal with 240p/480i better.
CRT monitors already have scanlines.
Pretty sure that PC CRT Monitors that use VGA standards do not.
they do - but they are much smaller

on a fine DPI shadow mask monitor it's difficult to notice them from any distance, they are more noticeable on a trinitron
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Well, I'm talking about real and thicc scanlines anyways, the kind you only see on good PVMs.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

So far it seems to only be an NES RGB issue.

When I run my SNES, Saturn, N64, and Dreamcast (VGA) from the OSSC to the Tendak to the CRT Monitor, I get no issues

Either its an OSSC settings issue or the Tendak doesn’t like the NES timings. When I run the NES to the OSSC straight to the Plasma TV, I get no issues.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

tongshadow wrote:Well, I'm talking about real and thicc scanlines anyways, the kind you only see on good PVMs.
I'm not a big scanline person, but I do think the ones you get on a PC Trinitron when viewing 31kHz content are quite nice

They have the same crisp definition as the PVM ones just thinner
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

thetallguy24 wrote:
Syntax wrote:Consumer crt TV have something called AFC (ACF?) that controls sync processing and is very lenient with odd sync rates. They hide this issue.

Plug your RGBNES into a PVM or BVM and you will see that skew on the top 8 pixels.
I'm using a CRT monitor though not TV
Depending on the PC CRT, it could be even more sensitive than a PVM/BVM to sync issues, which is what you're seeing. The older BVMs, for instance had a special VCR mode just for handing issues like this and what you're seeing is identical to the issue on newer BVMs that lack the internal sync cleanup function that was the VCR mode. This is also what the SERR jumper on Extron RGB boxes is supposed to correct. It's a source-side issue specific to your NES.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

thetallguy24 wrote:
Syntax wrote:Lol, that's sync jitter which is native to an RGB modded NES.

Install a sync dejitter mod and it will disappear and capture cards and ossc line modes will have higher compatability.
I've never had that issue before until I used the Tendak with the CRT monitors
It kinda resembles the H Hold issues I get from Supergun on my crt arcade monitor. I can fix the issue by adjusting the H Hold pot on the monitor's remote board. I don't know what I would try if I didn't have an easily accessible HHold pot.

The other time I have seen issues that looked like that was when I bought a cheap scart to BNC adapter with a built in sync stripper. In that scenario, the issue was fixed by removing and returning the offending adapter. Have you tried other cables?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

On the lightgun side, I wondered if fast phosphor decay was messing with the lightgun. But it seems that lightgun misses happen just from resizing the image, on a monitor it worked fine on before - so perhaps the extra sharp scanlines are causing the lightgun to either be confused about which scanline to focus on (if phosphor decay is slower, and the lightgun sees multiple lines at the same time), or the scanlines are surrounded by too much blank space (and the lightgun is not seeing enough of the scanline to process it). Unfortunately, just speculations on my part.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

Ed Oscuro wrote:On the lightgun side, I wondered if fast phosphor decay was messing with the lightgun. But it seems that lightgun misses happen just from resizing the image, on a monitor it worked fine on before - so perhaps the extra sharp scanlines are causing the lightgun to either be confused about which scanline to focus on (if phosphor decay is slower, and the lightgun sees multiple lines at the same time), or the scanlines are surrounded by too much blank space (and the lightgun is not seeing enough of the scanline to process it). Unfortunately, just speculations on my part.
I actually discovered that with the higher Line modes and screen resizing, I had to increase the scanline settings to get the lightgun to work. Apparently, the zapper needs sharpp scanlines to work on a CRT monitor