Why is 480p larger on CRT monitor screen than 960p w/ OSSC?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thetallguy24

Why is 480p larger on CRT monitor screen than 960p w/ OSSC?

Post by thetallguy24 »

This is may be a simple answer, but my brain feels too fried tonight to figure it out.

So when I hookup my Dreamcast (VGA) to my OSSC and then run it to my ViewSonic p225f through an HDMI to VGA adapter, the 480p passthrough mode is larger on the screen than the 2x line (960p) doubling mode. Is there a reason why? Is it a quick fix or do I have to adjust the size of the monitor each time?
Last edited by thetallguy24 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
thetallguy24

Re: Why would 480p be larger on the screen than 960p?

Post by thetallguy24 »

Default Settings
480p passthrough

Default settings
2x mode
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

thetallguy24 wrote:So when I hookup my Dreamcast (VGA) to my OSSC and then run it to my ViewSonic p225f through an HDMI to VGA adapter
I'm trying really hard to not be mean, but, why on earth are you doing so many useless signal conversions?
thetallguy24 wrote:the 480p passthrough mode is larger on the screen than the 2x line (960p) doubling mode. Is there a reason why?
My guess is the OSSC or the HDMI to VGA adapter is outputting the 960p image as 1080p with blank lines above and below.
thetallguy24 wrote:Is it a quick fix or do I have to adjust the size of the monitor each time?
Just hook the Dreamcast VGA output directly to the monitor and you will get the best possible picture. Putting the OSSC and the HDMI to VGA converters in there just much up the image.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

the Goat wrote:I'm trying really hard to not be mean, but, why on earth are you doing so many useless signal conversions?
Because I run tournaments across the country with multiple consoles (NES, SNES, Dreamcast, Xbox 360) and stream them, so this is the easiest way to switch out consoles after each tournament without changing out a lot of equipment.

Console -> OSSC -> HDMI Splitter -> VGA to HDMI Adapter (and PC capture card) -> CRT Monitor

Before I did this it was:

240p Consoles -> Scart splitter -> Scart to component -> CRT TV and Scart Splitter -> OSSC -> Capture card
480p consoles -> VGA splitter -> CRT Monitor and VGA Splitter -> OSSC -> Capture Card
BazookaBen

Re: Why is 480p larger on CRT monitor screen than 960p w/ OS

Post by BazookaBen »

So your monitor doesn't remember the geometry adjustment for 960p? My CRT's save my settings for about 15 or 20 resuloltions at a time.

Maybe there a battery in there you need to replace.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

BazookaBen wrote:So your monitor doesn't remember the geometry adjustment for 960p? My CRT's save my settings for about 15 or 20 resuloltions at a time.

When I switch to 960p it just shrinks the screen
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

thetallguy24 wrote:
BazookaBen wrote:So your monitor doesn't remember the geometry adjustment for 960p? My CRT's save my settings for about 15 or 20 resuloltions at a time.

When I switch to 960p it just shrinks the screen
while the CRT is sync'ed to a 960p signal adjust the screen size on the CRT's OSD - it should save the settings and return to them the next time it receives a 960p signal
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

thetallguy24 wrote:When I switch to 960p it just shrinks the screen
So then adjust it to full screen. Most monitors will save 960p and 480p separately
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

crt monitors will almost always have their own internal storage settings. Fix this by doing the adjustments on the current resolution is no problem, but they don't have open profiles like tv's do so switching things like aspect ratios is a pretty be pain.

On lcd's this happens to be it's own issue sometimes when the scaling includes overscan and not all tv's have the ability to turn that off. 480p gets full, but blurry, 960p is sharp, but with boarders. *bangs head on desk.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

BazookaBen wrote:
So then adjust it to full screen. Most monitors will save 960p and 480p separately
Does resizing it add any input lag? The reason I ask is I can actually use my NES on that monitor with the OSSC and play Duck Hunt up to 4x mode (960p), but when I resize it in 960p to fit the screen, the light gun stops working which makes me think it adds lag.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

thetallguy24 wrote:
BazookaBen wrote:
Does resizing it add any input lag? The reason I ask is I can actually use my NES on that monitor with the OSSC and play Duck Hunt up to 4x mode (960p), but when I resize it in 960p to fit the screen, the light gun stops working which makes me think it adds lag.
no
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

CRT monitors have no digital processing, so any adjustments you make won't add lag. Not sure hwhy you get more missed shots on the ight gun when you stretch it
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Ummm plenty of crts have digital filtering that adds lag.

Digital comb filters ect, OPs TV is lag city assuming it's a HD tv.

Dont even bother trying to get lightgun games working on a wide screen in 4:3

Edit** assumed op TV was a HD Sony. That's what I get for skimming.
Read ossc and 960p and just thought HD crt
Last edited by Syntax on Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

EDTV's might be a better bet, but you'd probably want a pc crt display as it can get higher modes (over 2k on some tubes) and it's all native without the digital processing.

I really don't know why tv manufacturers had to screw the whole process up when we started the HD trend. PC gaming had it nailed down for a solid decade, then we get tv's that can't even spit out an image at the exact millisecond they receive it. I'm still "WTF?!?" on it all. They should have just accepted vga as the standard and be done with it.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Isn't OP's display a PC crt???
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

FinalBaton wrote:Isn't OP's display a PC crt???
Yes
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Those OSSC devices are really aimed at flatscreen users. 1080p is not divisable by 480p so to make it look good after upscaling, they line double 480p to 960p but, as already mentioned above, the OSSC will output it as a 1080p signal with borders for the 120 lines left blank. Some 1080p flat screens might upscale the 960p image to fit / fill the 1080p panel but crt monitors usually don't need to do this.

The beauty of CRT monitors is that they can switch resolutions instead of having to scale all images to fit a native pitch like flatscreens do. When you output a 480p signal, the monitor switches to 31khz mode and the image natively fills the screen with no scaling required.

Upscaling the image for cable convenience is silly. Everything looks best when displayed at it's native res. Instead of connecting it through a scaler, spend $15 on a used vga switcher off eBay.

If you are using a flatscreen, leave it as 960p with borders if you want a good image. 480p might fill the screen but the monitor will be upscaling the image (badly) to fill it's native res.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

OSSC is good on monitor CRTs because you can add scanlines and deal with 240p/480i better.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

is this thing still considered the best way to connect a PC CRT to the OSSC?

thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

maxtherabbit wrote:is this thing still considered the best way to connect a PC CRT to the OSSC?
I don't know. Most reviews show the Tendak being the best which is what I just tried. The main issue with it is that it doesn't pull the audio from the OSSC for some reason.

Here is a review list of several HDMI to VGA adapters

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... A_adapters
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

tongshadow wrote:OSSC is good on monitor CRTs because you can add scanlines and deal with 240p/480i better.
CRT monitors already have scanlines.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

thetallguy24 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:is this thing still considered the best way to connect a PC CRT to the OSSC?
I don't know. Most reviews show the Tendak being the best which is what I just tried. The main issue with it is that it doesn't pull the audio from the OSSC for some reason.

I've been reading lately about people having problems with the tendak - like jitter maybe? I can't remember exactly what the complaints were

personally I route audio completely separately, so that is meaningless to me
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

maxtherabbit wrote:
thetallguy24 wrote:

I've been reading lately about people having problems with the tendak - like jitter maybe? I can't remember exactly what the complaints were

personally I route audio completely separately, so that is meaningless to me
I've read about the jitter but I'm not seeing it. The issue I seem to be having it the top corners are curling in a weird way. I've tried 2 different monitors with the Tendak and still have the same issue. Any ideas what's casuing this?

Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

There's noticeable jitter if you're using a Tendak on an LCD/Flatscreen of sorts (I believe people want these type of DACs to use on their Flatscreen's VGA port to bypass any TV processing), you'll see jitter on 'high-end' DACs too like with the HDFury range, not sure there's a 100% perfect DAC out there. Analogue will be releasing a DAC and there's some hope it'll be better than what's readily available now.

For analogue displays it's not as much of an issue as it's more of a micro jitter on a single line and, at least in my testing on a PC CRT, it's barely noticeable. I've seen micro jitter on a direct digital connection to an LCD with an OSSC so it's tolerable imo
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I have best results using a modded GBS for my pc crt monitors.
Rama has been working some magic with the firmware as of late, things only keep getting better :)
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

thetallguy24 wrote:
I've read about the jitter but I'm not seeing it. The issue I seem to be having it the top corners are curling in a weird way. I've tried 2 different monitors with the Tendak and still have the same issue. Any ideas what's casuing this?

I've not seen something like that before, closest I can think of is that it's a little bit like the top screen bend you get on an Extron RGB unit when you have one of the dipswitches set on/off (I forget which), the DDSP? but different as it seems to be only at the edges. What's your OSSC settings and console/game?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Lol, that's sync jitter which is native to an RGB modded NES.

Install a sync dejitter mod and it will disappear and capture cards and ossc line modes will have higher compatability.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

Syntax wrote:Lol, that's sync jitter which is native to an RGB modded NES.

Install a sync dejitter mod and it will disappear and capture cards and ossc line modes will have higher compatability.
I've never had that issue before until I used the Tendak with the CRT monitors
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Consumer crt TV have something called AFC (ACF?) that controls sync processing and is very lenient with odd sync rates. They hide this issue.

Plug your RGBNES into a PVM or BVM and you will see that skew on the top 8 pixels.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

Syntax wrote:Consumer crt TV have something called AFC (ACF?) that controls sync processing and is very lenient with odd sync rates. They hide this issue.

Plug your RGBNES into a PVM or BVM and you will see that skew on the top 8 pixels.
I'm using a CRT monitor though not TV