Anything for that damn clicking noise on the NES Zapper?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

Anything for that damn clicking noise on the NES Zapper?

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Just wondering if anyone ever came up with something for this. It's psycho annoying, and annoys everyone in my house as well.
Syntax

Re: Anything for that damn clicking noise on the NES Zapper?

Post by Syntax »

Nes zapper wont fire until you break a made connection.

So to fire the micro switch has to be held down then released. It fires only on the release but initiates on the press.
This is why the trigger gets to a certain spot then you feel the insides spring back. Super accurate as far as haptic feedback goes I love the idea.

You could try wiring it as NC and see if it still works then remove the internal spring or just teach yourself to release trigger to fire.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Aww...I was hoping someone just came up with something for it. It's 2018! Current Year!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Probably changes the whole dynamic, but you can fit your Zapper with a regular microswitch if you don't like the sprakung noise it makes.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

The noise is the whole fun of the zapper! It's so satisfying.
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

nmalinoski wrote:Probably changes the whole dynamic, but you can fit your Zapper with a regular microswitch if you don't like the sprakung noise it makes.
Yeh, those are my kits. The NES Zapper one just swaps out the spring loaded latch with a 3D printed piece of plastic: https://imgur.com/a/8NpfccG

It's how Syntax described though, the games are all coded to register a trigger pull the instant the switch is released from a contact state. You can get a generic zapper (Tomee for example) and they behave exactly like this, just lacking the audible sproing.
thebigcheese wrote:The noise is the whole fun of the zapper! It's so satisfying.
Agreed! I only made the kit because I was asked to by a few folk.

EDIT: Well I just wired the switch in my modified Zapper to common and normally closed, and the trigger now behaves like you'd want it to, instantaneous fire on pull of the trigger, not dependent on release. Presently tested with both Duck Hunt and Barker Bill's Trick Shooting.