Saturn Colour Issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thebeautifulones

Saturn Colour Issue

Post by thebeautifulones »

The blue signal is weak out of my VA0 Japanese Saturn. It's there, but barely. I got this console years ago. It had sound issues and possibly this colour issue, but I can't remember now. I was recapping some other consoles, so I did this one as well, but I ended up being a few capacitors short and put it aside until I ordered more. Finally got them today; everything's working well now except for the blue signal. The cable works fine on my North American Saturn.

Anyone have advice? I was planning to test it with a composite cable, but it's apart right now and thought I'd ask here first. So far all I've done is given the socket a shot of contact cleaner.

Edit: I reflowed some of the capacitors around the video encoder, reflowed the video socket at the same time and sliced my finger open on the shielding, so I can't say for sure what fixed it, but probably the capacitor on the blue line.
nmalinoski

Re: Saturn Colour Issue

Post by nmalinoski »

thebeautifulones wrote:I reflowed some of the capacitors around the video encoder, reflowed the video socket at the same time and sliced my finger open on the shielding, so I can't say for sure what fixed it, but probably the capacitor on the blue line.
Clearly it was the blood sacrifice. Just bleed on it every few years to keep the RGB crisp and clear.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

nmalinoski wrote:
thebeautifulones wrote:I reflowed some of the capacitors around the video encoder, reflowed the video socket at the same time and sliced my finger open on the shielding, so I can't say for sure what fixed it, but probably the capacitor on the blue line.
Clearly it was the blood sacrifice. Just bleed on it every few years to keep the RGB crisp and clear.
It's like Hellraiser. Just lure some people up there, and smack them on the head with a hammer. In time, that dude on all the Saturn ads will pop up from out of your floor, but with no skin.
thebeautifulones

nmalinoski wrote:
Haha ritualistic satanic repairs are the best repairs.

There's already some information about this around, but in case this is helpful to anyone else:

After my console (VA0--oldest Saturn revision with the power supply mounted to the top lid) heated up enough, which usually took from 30 minutes to a couple of hours, it would display interference, like thick horizontal bands, and eventually wouldn't read the disc until it cooled down again.

For me replacing the power supply's capacitors didn't fix the problem. Instead of trying to figure out which component(s) was/were causing the issue and replacing it/them, I did something like what this guy did: https://assemblergames.com/threads/how- ... ine.58578/ except that I soldered the wires instead of enlarging the holes. At the end of the guide he mentions that he cut the PCB but thought that it still might fit if he didn't cut it; it doesn't fit unless it's cut. That fixed all issues.
HellRazor

Post by HellRazor »

What capacitor you have on your blue line? i RGB mod a sony CRT and trying to hook up a saturn on this, the blue signal just not comes
thebeautifulones

HellRazor wrote:What capacitor you have on your blue line? i RGB mod a sony CRT and trying to hook up a saturn on this, the blue signal just not comes
Not my Saturn, but same board revision. I circled the capacitors I reflowed in blue and circled in red the one that looked like it may not have been soldered well initially.