PS2 color issues with Hydra

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
hugo19941994

PS2 color issues with Hydra

Post by hugo19941994 »

Hi,

I've recently purchased a PS2 and i'm having some issues with color reproduction when using Lotharek's Hydra SCART switcher. I've sent him an email, but in the meanwhile I thought about posting here just in case someone had more ideas for me to try to make it work. BTW I had my unit for over a year and it's been rock solid with everything I've thrown at it. The issues i'm having with the PS2 are not a deal breaker for me and I still think the Hydra is a solid piece of hardware.

Lotharek modded the Hydra so that one of the ports accepts Sync on Green signals:
Spoiler
The port works fine, but when using RGB on the PS2 the colors are off. If the signal carries 480i video it has a greenish tint (happens with 240p too):
Spoiler
On the other hand, if the PS2 switches over to a 480p signal the Hydra stays put and won't disconnect, but the video will now have a red tint:
Spoiler
I also noticed that on this port the OSSC always syncs with both RGBS and RGsB, with no change in color between them.

If I use any of the other unmodded ports the colors are fine, but whenever a game switches to 480p it looses sync (as expected).

I've also found out to my surprise that SCART cables can carry the PS2's YPbPr signal without any adaptor (BTW does this work with the Wii and the OG Xbox too??). If I use YPbPr the colors look mostly fine in any port, but there seems to be some sort of banding or red/blue streaks over certains elements.
Spoiler

Just like when using RGB, if a game switches over to 480p while using YPbPr the Hydra will loose sync except in the modded port. However the color banding issue is present in all ports, but the tint is not present anywhere.

I'm using an RGC Packapunch Pro cable with Luma Sync. Just in case I switched to a cheap 10€ cable, but the same effects appear. I've also tried switching the Hydra's PSU, and the PS2 is using it's official power brick.

If I force the Hydra to stay in an unmodded SCART socket and use RGB all issues dissapear, but it's a pain having to switch the auto scanning on and off. Also, if I connect the PS2 to the OSSC directly both YPbPr and RGB work fine. If all else fails I might try to get my local modder to modify the PS2 to use CSync as per citrus3000psi's guide, but he is very particular with the mods he is willing to make and insists in just using component cables. I'd rather use a SCART cable as it's more convenient in my setup.

Cheers!
Classicgamer

Re: PS2 color issues with Hydra

Post by Classicgamer »

The PS2 is not meant to sync on green in 480i but if I flick the SOG switch on my Extron interface then the image turns green. That would indicate that you are outputting SOG when you are not supposed to be. The red image on 480p is an odd problem that I can't replicate.

I don't anything about the cables you use but I have had good results with the Ultimarc PlayStation RGB cable. The one sold "for multi frequency monitors". It outputs everything as RGBS via a vga cable. It has a built in sync seperator.