Framemeister - no picture with CD32 + Philips CDi. Sync ?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
rickr000

Framemeister - no picture with CD32 + Philips CDi. Sync ?

Post by rickr000 »

Hello everyone,

Been wrestling with the Amiga CD32 (which has a TF328 + RGB riser board) and a Euro Philips CDi 220.

Can't seem to get any picture via the Framemeister through RGB SCART and I'm mystified by it! Both work A-OK via S-Video.

The Framemeister SCART adaptor is wired with a sync stripper - it's powered by SCART pin 8 I believe.

The CD32/TF328 outputs Cysnc and is wired to the Framemeister via an Amiga/RGB SCART cable. No Input detected.

The CDi Euro model outputs RGB (not sure re: Sync) and it's plugged via a standard RGB SCART male/female cable. No Input detected.

Any ideas much appreciated thank you!

Been thinking:
- perhaps the consoles are not outputting voltage down pin 8 that sufficiently powers the Framemeisters adaptor sync stripper?
- I should try an SCART adaptor for the Framemiester that has it's sync stripper externally powered (sadly out of stock now) :(
- I should try wire up a passive SCART adaptor to the Framemiester
- It is the will of the gods...be content with S-Video/RCA ;)
Kez

Re: Framemeister - no picture with CD32 + Philips CDi. Sync

Post by Kez »

I would look at the sync stripper first. If you can remove it from the scart adapter altogether it's probably worth doing, there isn't usually any need for a sync stripper with the FM.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Are they European Pal consoles?

If so, does the Framemeister handle 50hz rgb?

Whenever I get issues with no signal coming through at all, it is almost always related to the wrong sync type or the wrong cable (if the console and monitor both work). Everything else usually shows something (like a rolling image) but that is on CRT. On a digital display, a non compatible signal might just show nothing.

As a side question, I don't mean to hyjack the thread but, do you have any of the light gun games on the CDI? I'm curious. I remember the console coming out when I lived in the UK but I never knew anyone that bought one and I knew some serious gaming enthusiasts back then. Same with the CD32 but I am not curious on that one.

Philips were one of those companies that always seemed to come up with these "innovations" that nobody really wanted. They did make a great 21:9 tv though. It was a shame they didn't sell their stuff in America.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Classicgamer wrote:If so, does the Framemeister handle 50hz rgb?
It does.
rickr000

Post by rickr000 »

@Classicgamer - yes they are both Euro consoles and the Framemeister should be able to handle them. Do agree that it seems like a sync issue.

I'm going to try what @Kez suggested and run through a passive sync adapter to the Framemeister. If that doesn't work then will add syn strip circuits to the CD32 and CDi SCART cables.

On the lightgun games - there are a bunch for the CDi (but they are early so don't play as well as most 16bit stuff like Lethal Enforcers or Revolution X). The majority that play just so so are FMV ones (Mad Dog / Thunder in Paradise). On-rails CGI shooters like Chaos Control and Nightmare Creatures are good fun - recommended. The best part about these titles on the CDi is that if you are not sporting a CRT TV then the CDi mouse offers a fantastic control scheme. The mouse really makes these games playable without a pad, giving them a lease of life on a non lightgun friendly set up.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

rickr000 wrote:If that doesn't work then will add syn strip circuits to the CD32 and CDi SCART cables.
Again: You do not need a sync stripper for the Framemeister. It's only good for two things: 1) Increasing the profits of people trying to sell you one and 2) causing trouble.
rickr000

Post by rickr000 »

Lol well they already took my money! Got a Framemeister SCART adapter with sync stripper already - all OK until these two consoles gave me trouble.

On your advice am getting a passive adapter - so no sync stripper, just pass thru from SCART to the FM input.

Appreciate the help and will report back next week!
rickr000

Post by rickr000 »

Thank you very much @unseen!

Got a passive (no Sync stripper) adapter for the Framemeister and both the CD32 and CDi are working via RGB SCART now!

Brilliant, appreciate the help. :D