Good place to get shielded RGB cables now?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

Good place to get shielded RGB cables now?

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I used to get all my cords from Retro Console Accessories, and she seems to be on hiatus. Maybe Voultar shamed her too much for gluing the cables together. :lol:
I do like her cables though. I don't know what happened to her.

Can anyone recommend a cable maker? They have to be shielded, so unless Retrocables UK started doing that, I'm not interested.

I've seen some "Retrovision" cords, I think, that skip the converter process completely, and just do the component. But they were nuts expensive.
ldeveraux

Re: Good place to get shielded RGB cables now?

Post by ldeveraux »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I used to get all my cords from Retro Console Accessories, and she seems to be on hiatus. Maybe Voultar shamed her too much for gluing the cables together. :lol:

Can anyone recommend a cable maker? They have to be shielded, so unless Retrocables UK started doing that, I'm not interested.

I've seen some "Retrovision" cords, I think, that skip the converter process completely, and just do the component. But they were nuts expensive.
Why do you think Retro-Access doesn't sell cables any longer? There's not indication on their site. You know how that shop works, right? The craziness with in/out of stock. If not there, buy from RetroGamingCables; some people think these are higher quality anyway...
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

ldeveraux wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:I used to get all my cords from Retro Console Accessories, and she seems to be on hiatus. Maybe Voultar shamed her too much for gluing the cables together. :lol:

Why do you think Retro-Access doesn't sell cables any longer? There's not indication on their site. You know how that shop works, right? The craziness with in/out of stock. If not there, buy from RetroGamingCables; some people think these are higher quality anyway...
I didn't think they sold cables, because their shop is always down on EBay. That's where I used to by them. I could try the site itself.

EDIT: I tried the site, and almost everything is out of stock. I'll write her a message, and see if I can get any info. I like their cables, personally. I just know if you want to take them apart, it's near impossible. I don't do that, so it's not important to me.

Retro Gaming Cables UK is not for me. Unless he shields them now. I have had a few of his cables, and have had problems with them. For the Genesis, the brighter you turned up the picture, the more buzz you got out of the TV. I mean...come on.
From reading the info on his "Pack A Punch" cable, it reads like it might be shielded, but never uses that word. It's out of stock anyway.
Kez

Post by Kez »

RGC pack a punch cables have individually shielded wires.
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

Retro-access.com is Retro Console Accessories from ebay. She does not sell on ebay anymore. The cables were sold out for a while because she was moving. If anything she has been easier to get cables from since moving off of ebay. No offense to RGC but I personally always prefer the RA cables. She only sells 75ohm impedance individually shielded coax cables. The fitment on everything is great.

She has started 3d printing plug hoods for strain relief, which actually work great. I have never personally had a single issue with her cables and I own 1 or 2 of every SCART cable she makes. I have used the RGC packapunch cables and was not impressed with the time/price/quality. Aside from the molded plug. I really liked that.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

I've got a full set of RGC Packapunch. And only recently learned that RA's cable is quantifiably better. So I might be making a slow trek back up the cabling mountain with RA in the future. I'm sure my wife will be absolutely thrilled about more cables (she *HATES* the amount of cables I have for different stuff).

The "out of stock" notices everywhere are a tiny bit confusing at first. But it's posted basically everywhere that they sell only up to their production capacity. So just check back soon.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

DirkSwizzler wrote:I've got a full set of RGC Packapunch. And only recently learned that RA's cable is quantifiably better.
I’m also knee deep in RGC packapunch cables, what makes the RA cables better?
Mobiusstriptech

They are actually 75ohm impedance and specifically designed for NTSC cabling standards with EVERY line individually shielded. Honestly I am not sure why she gets so much flak. RGC had all of the same problems she did. Glue inside connectors, epoxy in connectors, incorrect circuits, Boosted CSYNC, etc. They both went through the same things but for some reason everyone jumped on her more.

The interesting thing about the out of stock messages is that RGC has a similar business model. The don't hand build everything which give a bit more throughput. However they both essentially use a pre-order system. I ordered an AES cable from RGC and it still took 1.5 months to arrive. That's not just a difference because of shipping. Shipping time was only maybe a week.

I am not trying to diss RGC either. They still make good cables. I just personally think the RA cables are better.

Gara

Post by Gara »

Yikes! At first I thought this was a necro post. The Ebay store is long gone. They are able to sell out daily on their website so there is no reason for it. They recently moved and just reopened a few days ago so orders are filling up fast each day. You'll have to get your order in early but they are open for business. Observe!
Spoiler
Glued plugs are also long gone. They are rocking their own 3D printer and custom making them. Retro Access is more expensive but they are the best on the market. You won't be disappointed.

If you want some options.

https://retro-access.com/
Fully shielded. Try the cable builder.

https://insurrectionindustries.com/prod ... ry/cables/
Only the audio line is individually shielded.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/
Packapunch line for the full shielding.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_ ... 83&_sop=10
I'm not actually sure how well shielded The Foos cables are. I've never had a problem. His s-video cables are great.

https://castlemaniagames.com/shop?olsPa ... etrovision
https://www.amazon.com/s?marketplaceID= ... FAFA1RH5W5
HD Rectalvision cables are top notch.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

What's the difference between CSYNC RGB & LUMA SYNC ( saturn btw) my head is spinning trying to figure it out :cry:
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

garrz32 wrote:What's the difference between CSYNC RGB & LUMA SYNC ( saturn btw) my head is spinning trying to figure it out :cry:
http://retrorgb.com/sync.html

http://retrorgb.com/saturn.html

I know some people preferred to use Sync on Luma, but was this because the needed components weren't on the Sync line? Anyone mind confirming this?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

RottenToTheGore wrote:
garrz32 wrote:What's the difference between CSYNC RGB & LUMA SYNC ( saturn btw) my head is spinning trying to figure it out :cry:
http://retrorgb.com/sync.html

http://retrorgb.com/saturn.html

I know some people preferred to use Sync on Luma, but was this because the needed components weren't on the Sync line? Anyone mind confirming this?
Sync on Luma is often recommended just because it's generally easier to work with. You get the advantages of CSync (less potential for interference than Composite Video), without the compatibility concerns like voltage levels. So it's an easy recommendation to make to the average Joe who doesn't want to fuss with the concerns of CSync.

Now, there's always Extron and other equipment that will require CSync, so it's not an end-all solution, but it's an easy upgrade over composite video for sync.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

cheers fella's :)
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:I just personally think the RA cables are better.
I absolutely hate how the retro access site works. I'm not talking about every product going "out of stock" everyday (though that is annoying too). I'm talking about how you need to buy a cable and also buy several upgrades listed as different products. Super confusing for no reason.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

Gara wrote: HD Rectalvision
Normally you'd have to go to the proctologist for that...
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

the Goat wrote:
I absolutely hate how the retro access site works. I'm not talking about every product going "out of stock" everyday (though that is annoying too). I'm talking about how you need to buy a cable and also buy several upgrades listed as different products. Super confusing for no reason.
I remember having to buy the pro coaxial upgrade on ebay separately. But on the website it's just an option when you go to a product page- go in the drop-down and select pro coaxial or standard. At least for the cables I've looked at.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

bobrocks95 wrote:
the Goat wrote:
I remember having to buy the pro coaxial upgrade on ebay separately. But on the website it's just an option when you go to a product page- go in the drop-down and select pro coaxial or standard. At least for the cables I've looked at.
This. If you look at the product description for the coaxial upgrade items, it clearly says:
This item is no longer available as an upgrade to non coax cables because we simply sell the coax (ie fully shielded cables) as-is from their own listings.[/url]
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

nmalinoski wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:
the Goat wrote:I absolutely hate how the retro access site works. I'm not talking about every product going "out of stock" everyday (though that is annoying too). I'm talking about how you need to buy a cable and also buy several upgrades listed as different products. Super confusing for no reason.
This. If you look at the product description for the coaxial upgrade items, it clearly says:
This item is no longer available as an upgrade to non coax cables because we simply sell the coax (ie fully shielded cables) as-is from their own listings.
But that statement is not clear at all. If all the cables are already upgraded, what is that upgrade product listing for? The site and product listings are just way too confusing, for no reason.
-the Goat
Mobiusstriptech

She is in the process of changing everything around. The upgrade thing is just a leftover from when it used to be an option. She has been considering a cheaper cable alternative that is only outer shielded, like the RGC. I think the plan right now though is to not do that and stick with coax only. I am supposed to be talking to her this weekend sometime about some business stuff. I can mention the confusion that the option adds.

the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:She is in the process of changing everything around. The upgrade thing is just a leftover from when it used to be an option. She has been considering a cheaper cable alternative that is only outer shielded, like the RGC. I think the plan right now though is to not do that and stick with coax only. I am supposed to be talking to her this weekend sometime about some business stuff. I can mention the confusion that the option adds.
I think her web site could be cleaned up a lot. It has too many products with long rambling descriptions. Confusing. When I click the "Super Nintendo" link I get Gamecube cables included in the results. Confusing. The previously mentioned "cable upgrade products" that are no longer applicable. Confusing.
-the Goat
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:She is in the process of changing everything around. The upgrade thing is just a leftover from when it used to be an option. She has been considering a cheaper cable alternative that is only outer shielded, like the RGC. I think the plan right now though is to not do that and stick with coax only. I am supposed to be talking to her this weekend sometime about some business stuff. I can mention the confusion that the option adds.
tell her stick with coax! there's plenty of other mediocre cable manufacturers out there
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Is there a reccomended speed to burn at? or it don't matter?

I burned all mydiscs at either 4x or 8x, and it has worked fine for me...
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Kez

Post by Kez »

FinalBaton wrote:Is there a reccomended speed to burn at? or it don't matter?

Slightly off-topic. :P This has been discussed somewhere in the past, the short answer is if your burner does high speed, and your discs are rated for high speed, you should burn at high speed (max speed or close to it). You are more likely to have errors burning at a low speed on drives that are designed for high speeds.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Weird that she just stocks at 10 AM each day. Anyway, thanks for the help, I got my cable.
Gara

Post by Gara »

FinalBaton wrote:Is there a reccomended speed to burn at? or it don't matter?

4x-2x is what you should aim for. It's difficult to find a burner in good shape that will still do those speeds. Most modern ones do 12x or higher minimum. I've heard the advice about burning higher rates disc's and players at the recommended speeds but I never had any better results. If a burner was doing a bad job I couldn't find a single speed where it suddenly did better in a perceivable way. I tried about 5 modern burners from good brands like plextor but they all stunk. I found a new old stock external USB plextor and it burns 4x disc's that seem to read as well as my originals. Use the right media as well. TY isn't as good as it used to be. I've gotten a batch or two that gave me errors then others that are all perfect.

evil_ash_xero wrote:Weird that she just stocks at 10 AM each day. Anyway, thanks for the help, I got my cable.
With their high popularity and word of mouth advertising it gives them a pretty nice setup. Take as many orders as you want in any given day. A few and take it easy or open the flood gates and ride the wave. I'd wrastle for a job with that kind of flexibility.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Is their any true benefit for their cables being so darn thick now?

I mean, they say they have extra extra shielding, and that the community requested it. Personally, these cables are too freaking thick. They're nice and all, but when you have tons of systems hooked up, and lined up close to each other, it makes it hard to work with the cords.

Oh well. What's the benefit? I thought the shielding before was good.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Is their any true benefit for their cables being so darn thick now?
Yes very much so, it's even explained on their website here:

https://retro-access.com/blogs/news/why ... eo-signals

Same thing for audio speaker cables, the more copper/silver the better.
Gara

Post by Gara »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Is their any true benefit for their cables being so darn thick now?

I mean, they say they have extra extra shielding, and that the community requested it. Personally, these cables are too freaking thick. They're nice and all, but when you have tons of systems hooked up, and lined up close to each other, it makes it hard to work with the cords.

Oh well. What's the benefit? I thought the shielding before was good.
Their coax cables are actually as thin as they have ever been. They got rid of the extra lines and made all cables directional with an input and output. They label the scart heads on scart to scart so you don't get confused. That thickness and shielding are what you're paying for. Lots of manufacturers make their cables appear thick so that you assume it's high quality and well shielded. At retro access you're actually getting what you paid for. Their old stuff is thicker yet! Routing them is a nightmare

The shielding before was good. Now it's excellent. With so many other cable manufacturers entering the mid range cable market I think retro access decided to just focus on their premium line. It's what they are best known for and obviously their bread and butter. They are currently the best product on the market. May as well play to your strengths with flagship cabling.

If all you want is good then the insurrectionindustries.com stuff looks great. The most noticeable issue caused by cheap cables is audio buzz. Their cables solve that by giving the audio line proper shielding. How much if any video problems are going to be based on your setup and environmental factors.

My system has become a routing puzzle with long runs. It's wonderful knowing I can do long runs through large complex setups and not have to worry if my cables are causing me trouble. It's a near absolute when I'm surrounded by 20+ year old electronics that love to cause problems.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Interesting. Can their SNES cables actually get rid of that interference? I get that, even with the official cables. I still get interference (not very noticeable now) on the SNES Mini (RGB modded).
I wonder if that would fix that? That's like the worst offender, when it comes to interference.

But yes, they are very hard to manage. They need a certain amount of space. I can't tie them up, like the other ones.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

thicc cables are the best