shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:32 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Sony kv 32fs320 in Europe?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:27 am 

Hi there. Want to get into CRT gaming asap and did some research already. Found out the the Sony kv 32fs320 should be among the best consumer sets out there, but the only Thing I could not find out if that TV was sold in Europe or not? If so do you guys how it was called in Europe? Or if it was not available could you recommend a TV with smiliar specs?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sony kv 32fs320 in Europe?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:44 am 

I don't think that set has a European equivalent. It's a nice set for Americans wanting to get into retro gaming with its 2 component inputs (although I'm not a fan of the flat tube, with its geometry issues). But as a European you have a much wider selection of choices, as almost every (late) '80s and '90s set has at least 1 rgb scart input.

I'd suggest you just look around for any decent set on offer in your neighborhood. Once you have one, nothing's stopping you to continue looking for great sets on offer. Try to look for the 4:3 black Sony Trinitron sets from the early to mid 1990's. Those are excellent for retro gaming.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:47 am 

Sony did not offer any 31khz compatible sets on the European market, nor any other CRT consumer sets with component inputs. The only 31khz-enabled sets were the FD1 trinitrons with VGA input.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:49 pm 

It's a US model so it's only found in the US. There are some macro differences (size, video inputs, SD/HD) between EU and US Sonys. No HD models in Europe and no component inputs, only composite, s-video and RGB. The biggest EU 4:3 models are 34" which is equivalent to US 32". But there are so few 34" models that the biggest common size is in fact 29" (= US 27"). The only 34" true flat model is to my knowledge the KV-34FQ75A (or D/K) which is 100Hz so not the best choice for games. I can only recommend to avoid all true flat (FD Trinitron) models and get a curved one.

- Anonymous on Facebook

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:09 pm 

Thanks for the advice. Then I will look for other models. The missing component plug in the European models is not a big deal. RGB is way more versatile anyway for gaming at least. The consoles I want to use on the old school TV are from an Area where RGB was supreme. The most modern consoles I want to use are the Sega Saturn,and the N64. The yuv port would only come in handy with my old DVD Player that Supports that of Connection. Until recently I wa watching DVD on my 4k with the xbox one S but the scaled Image to 4k does not look that good. So as I a want to a CRT for Retro gaming anway I thought I bring the old DVD Player back from the Basement and use it on the CRT.

MKL Thanks for the warning for avoiding 100hz Screens. 100 hz is no Option for me anyway. I have read that 100hz is not supporting light gun games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:14 pm 

If I were you I would not hold out for a WEGA crt : I'd try just about any RGB crt around you and pick the one in best condition(probably the most important factor here).

You are bound to find many sets with great picture. IMO the curved Trinitrons look even better than the flat WEGAs. I have a top-of-the-line curved Sony RGB set from 1988 here and it looks INSANELY good for games. I also love shadowmask tubes so if I were you I would also check those out. A good rgb shadowmask tube is a glorious thing for old games. Pretty much as good as it gets.

So yeah, try all dem RGB crt near you :) don't discriminate! you might find a gem.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:19 pm 

FinalBaton wrote:
If I were you I would not hold out for a WEGA crt : I'd try just about any RGB crt around you and pick the one in best condition(probably the most important factor here).

You are bound to find many sets with great picture. IMO the curved Trinitrons look even better than the flat WEGAs. I have a top-of-the-line curved Sony RGB set from 1988 here and it looks INSANELY good for games. I also love shadowmask tubes so if I were you I would also check those out. A good rgb shadowmask tube is a glorious thing for old games. Pretty much as good as it gets.

So yeah, try all dem RGB crt near you :) don't discriminate! you might find a gem.

Which model do you have? :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:33 pm 

Nodoyuna wrote:

Sony KV-25XBR (north american domestic model). supposedly it looks just like the top-of-the-line european and japanese Sony sets of the time

but to be honest, I expect all Trinitrons to look good when fed RGB. Heck, I expect pretty much all crts to look good with RGB (provided that it's in good condition). The "crt rgb mod thread" made me realise this. almost all screenshots I've seen in there look enjoyable and very playable, across all brands. of course you might want to avoid the very, very low end models. And higher end models should provide more accurate colour reproduction and contrast. But there's nothing like trying them in person. You never know when you might find a charming picture, even on lower end models

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:53 pm 

You could also try to look for the bang and olufsen TV sets. They seem to have a good Reputation in the Retro gaming scene as well. But not sure if they are as good the Sony though. If you want something smaller you could also look for some professional Monitor from Sony or Panasonic.

They are a bit more expensive than the consumer CRT sets though.

Let us know how your journey in the CRT realm ended. I hope it will end faster than mine. I am interested in Light Gun Shooters for quite some time, but was not able to find the perfect set yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:55 pm 

FinalBaton wrote:
Nodoyuna wrote:

Heck, I expect pretty much all crts to look good with RGB (provided that it's in good condition). The "crt rgb mod thread" made me realise this. almost all screenshots I've seen in there look enjoyable and very playable, across all brands. of course you might want to avoid the very, very low end models. And higher end models should provide more accurate colour reproduction and contrast. But there's nothing like trying them in person. You never know when you might find a charming picture, even on lower end models

I concur. I own a number of crt's, among them a cheapo Sanyo 20" tv I bought in 1993. The rgb image quality is top notch. Really, the most important factors to consider when buying a crt is tube condition and picture geometry IMO.

Offline Profile