Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:22 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Extron DSC 301 HD (RGB>HDMI+scaling)-Best settings for 4
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:34 am 

strygo wrote:
If anyone has the latest firmware (1.25), I would very much appreciate it!

I think the release notes would also be interesting, since I don't like blindly installing updates without knowing what they are supposed to change.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:17 pm 

Unseen: Yes, definitely. It may also be the case that an older firmware could be better for our needs, so I'd love any details folks might have about the different versions. I experienced some compatibility issues, so if a newer (or older) firmware helped, it would be great to know this.

I received a 301 HD as well as an HD HD and I've had a chance to test both of them a bit. The 301 HD is running firmware 1.17 and the HD HD is running 1.00. Like others in this thread, my Vizio 4K LCD isn't particularly compatible with the OSSC, so my primary motivation has been to improve that compatibility. My secondary motivation was to see if it would help with 480p scaling outside the OSSC (because the Vizio isn't particularly great at it). Overall, the units are a positive addition, but they are not without some caveats. I'm hoping some of the problems I've experienced are things I can address.

On the whole, I've actually had a better experience with the HD HD than the 301 HD, but the HD HD is lacking a few important features and isn't without its own compatibility issues. Starting with the strengths of the HD HD:

- Better handling of 4x and 5x OSSC signals. I see consistent sync drops on the 301 HD for a number of systems, including the Genesis (Sonic 2), Jaguar (Tempest 2K intro), and PlayStation 1 (Street Fighter Alpha intro). The same configuration works fine on the HD HD. If there is anything I can do to rectify this, I'd love to know.
- Smoother transitions. I frequently would see scrambled screen content when the 301 HD transitions and tries to sync. It's minor, but the HD HD doesn't do this.
- Controls: I happen to prefer the buttons over the knobs, but that's a personal preference.

Some of the strengths of the 301 HD (which others have mentioned in this thread):

- Size / position controls. It's unfortunate that these controls are lacking in the HD HD. Being able to scale the 960p signal inside the 1080p frame is a great feature.
- Frame lock (AFL). This feature was removed from the HD HD, although in my testing, I couldn't notice a difference. Enabling or disabling it didn't help with my aforementioned sync issues.

Both units excel in a number of ways. I'm most impressed by the following:

- 480p->OSSC 2x->960p scaling. My Vizio hasn't supported this mode, so experiencing this has been a real treat. F-Zero GX scaled to 960p with thin scan lines looks stunning and very similar to what I observe on a 20L5. Without scanlines looks quite similar to an HS420. This is now my preferred way to display 480p analog content on this display.
- 240p->OSSC 4x->960p scaling. I've lived with 3x until now and this is a nice upgrade. Especially with the size controls of the 301 HD.
- 720p->1080p scaling. In conjunction with my display's 1080p->4K scaling, I've found both devices improve the picture for me by scaling 720p to 1080p. The SNES Classic, AVS and PlayStation 3 (for example) are a bit crisper going this route than leaving the scaling entirely to the display. More testing is needed on other systems, but so far, I'm happy with what I see.

The negatives I've found of both include:

- 480p digital scaling. I have an original GCHD and I've been dissatisfied with my display's 480p scaling. I was hoping that these devices would help, but I'm seeing a softness in scaling the 480p to 1080p that I don't like. In the case of the GC, going the analog route through the OSSC produces better results for me.
- Xbox compatibility. I see sync drops when running in 480p passthrough or 480p->OSSC 2x. Anyone have ideas on what might be the cause?
- NES/SNES compatibility: As others have stated, the jitter issues are real. It's nice that you have some options (dejitter mods or SuperNt/Nt Mini/AVS), but this is annoying if you don't immediately have a workaround.

That's it for now. It would be great if I can rectify some of the issues, either via firmware changes or adjusting settings somewhere. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:47 pm 

strygo wrote:
- Xbox compatibility. I see sync drops when running in 480p passthrough or 480p->OSSC 2x. Anyone have ideas on what might be the cause?

Same for me - doesn't happen too often but my OG Xbox hooked up via RGBS or YPbPr cable drops out for me with this combo as well. Haven't dug into it to see if there's a fix quite yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:43 am 

Unseen passed along a link to the 1.25 firmware. It's been a big improvement. It completely eliminated the problems I was seeing with the OSSC 4x/5x modes and also improved the behavior I am seeing with Xbox. If you're running a firmware lower than that and experiencing issues, I recommend giving it a try. Message me if you need a link to it.

Offline Profile