Extron DSC 301 HD (RGB>HDMI+scaling)-Best settings for 480p?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dr_myslihiiri

Re: Extron DSC 301 HD (RGB>HDMI+scaling)-Best settings for 4

Post by dr_myslihiiri »

Dochartaigh wrote:
dr_myslihiiri wrote:Was the text you quoted complete?
Yes. Only other text on bottom of page is what the PREVIOUS updates did.
Huh, that’s strange. Why release a new firmware with no changes? The other possibility, of course, is that they fouled up when compiling the release notes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dr_myslihiiri

Post by dr_myslihiiri »

dr_myslihiiri wrote:The other possibility, of course, is that they fouled up when compiling the release notes.
Well, I received a link to the release notes from Extron's tech support, and it seems the problem is that the CSS layout on the web page is broken. As a result, web browsers truncate the content, hiding the actual changes.
The following is a list of changes and fixes in this release.

Fixed Issue (originated in 1.00.0011) – Input presets deleted after a power cycle – After restoring a box config to a DSC 301 HD and performing a power cycle, the recently restored input presets would be lost. This issue has been resolved in version 1.28.0001.

Fixed Issue (originated in v1.00.0011) – Recalled input preset values could be lost after an input hot plug or power cycle – The signal sampling and picture control values of a recalled input preset could be lost after a hot plug of the input signal, or after a power cycle as values were not being written into Auto Memory. This issue has been resolved in version 1.28.0001.

Updated Feature – Copyright year out of date – The copyright year has been updated to the correct year.

Updated Feature – Copyright message out of date – The copyright message has been changed from “Extron Electronics” to “Extron”.
pneumatic

Post by pneumatic »

Hello, new user here.

I was about to pull the trigger on an mClassic when I read about the DSC 301 in the mClassic thread. It seems like this may be worth the extra money over the mClassic.

I want to use it in the following scenarios:

1. Wii outputting 480p from Mayflash HDMI adapter -> DSC 301 upscale to 1080p YUV -> Samsung TV

2. Wii U outputting 1080p RGB limited range -> DSC 301 convert to 1080p YUV (limited or full, I'm not bothered) -> Samsung TV

Crucially, I need to output YUV because my display has bad video processing in RGB mode which cannot be fixed. The DSC 301 manual implies we can manually force the output format to YUV - can anyone confirm this works on Wii U? I can't even get my HDMI switcher to work with Wii U because it uses that silly 1080p RGB limited format.

Crucially, I also need it to perform the 601 to 709 colourimetry conversion when upscaling 480p to 1080p - does DSC 301 oblige? According to this report, mClassic does correctly convert 601 to 709 (but obviously interferes with the colours in other ways that are undesirable). Basically, Mario's had should look a deep saturated red, not a pale orangey red (http://www.glennchan.info/articles/tech ... ec601.html). As far as I can tell OSSC and Retrotink 5x do not convert 601 to 709 (please correct me if I'm wrong, there is such little info on this).

Thanks
azumaro

Post by azumaro »

Hi guys,

I recentry got extron SSP-200 from ebay and old PCS from this post.

Do you have insider access to the Extron PCS update?
They never give insider account to end-user. :(

with gratitude from Japan
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Picked up a second DSC, getting artifacts when brightness and contrast are adjusted to certain levels, tried the same exact video chain on my other unit and it’s fine. Tried factory resetting and going through the menus to see if I missed anything, but the issue is still present.
Spoiler
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Firmware disparity?
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Went away after changing some settings, not sure what it was.
Dusko

Re: Extron DSC 301 HD (RGB>HDMI+scaling)-Best settings for 480p?

Post by Dusko »

Hello all!
I just bought a DSC-301-HD for a decent price and I wonder if the output will be sharper than my RGB-HDMI-300-a, has anyone compared the two?
For reference, I'm using the 300-a to capture my 486 PC VGA output (using a ezcap Gamedock Ultra as the capture device)
I also have a Gefen ext-vgaaud-2-hdmis and the image quality is spectacular, but it has some really annoying notification when the resolution changes that can't be turned off.
Any thoughts?
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

IIRC, The Gefen VGA to HDMI uses the the same scaling engine as their VGA to DVI units, if that’s the case, the sharpness is far superior on on the 301.
Dusko

Post by Dusko »

SGGG2 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:49 am IIRC, The Gefen VGA to HDMI uses the the same scaling engine as their VGA to DVI units, if that’s the case, the sharpness is far superior on on the 301.
Compared to the Extron 300a or the Gefens?
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

I have no experience with the 300a.
Dusko

Post by Dusko »

SGGG2 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:19 pm I have no experience with the 300a.
Got it, thanks for clarifying. Happy Holidays!
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

FYI, make sure to get a high quality VGA to RCA adapter for component sources. I was shocked at how much sharper and detailed the image was with a BNC adapter over the Monoprice VGA to Component adapter I was using. Even better would be using an OSSC for line doubling and/or transcoding before the 301.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

SGGG2 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:55 pm FYI, make sure to get a high quality VGA to RCA adapter for component sources. I was shocked at how much sharper and detailed the image was with a BNC adapter over the Monoprice VGA to Component adapter I was using. Even better would be using an OSSC for line doubling and/or transcoding before the 301.
DSC 301 HD has a simple VGA/RB15 connector for analog signals. It'll let you use a super cheap (usually, on eBay a lot) Extron brand 5x BNC to VGA/DB15 cable (which I've used with cheap RCA to BNC adapters – I've tried about 200 of them and brand doesn't seem to matter), and I commonly use 12-25' runs... NO reason to use anything else with the high availability of this cable (and/or the shorter dongle version with female BNC's you can hook a nice regular Extron BNC to BNC cable to or whatever). In setups you can run RGBHV, RGBS, YPbPr, etc over that same cable ending in VGA/DB15 (just don't use the BNC's you don't need).

And yeah, ever since the start I was using OSSC to initially line-double/2x 480p to 960p for input to the DSC 301 HD.
Dusko

Post by Dusko »

I received my new Extron DSC-301HD in the mail last week, and can confirm that the image quality is much better than the RGB-HDMI-300A to capture DOS.
The Gefen VGA to HDMI Scaler is sharper than the Extron DSC-301HD, the pixels are better defined on the Gefen. (I have all 3 of them).
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I believe the Gefen scalers were 4:4:4, so good graphics scaling makes sense. Unfortunately, those didn't have frame lock or programmable frame rate output, so the motion will not be great. Frame rate conversion is unavoidable.
We apologise for the inconvenience