shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:01 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Extron DSC 301 HD (RGB>HDMI+scaling)-Best settings for 4
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:42 am 

Fudoh wrote:
Quote:
I can probably safely assume this thing is toast, no?

if you're certain that you got an active source connected, then yes, probably.

Without an active source, the Extron disables its output as well. You can bring up a menu, but it has got a rather quick timeout. Also if you got a HDCP source, but HDCP on the Extron is disabled, you might not get a picture. I found a VGA or composite source a much more reliable test to start out with.

Thanks. I've now fed it via all the inputs and nada. I even held in "enter" for 20sec while applying power to do a factory reset. Just a solid amber light. Sigh.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:02 am 

The seller refunded me, which is nice, but I've already got a basement full of dead gear.

Trying to disassemble it to see if there's anything obviously wrong from a visual standpoint (bulged cap, etc).

What I can't figure out is how to remove the two knobs on the front. They seem to have an inset hole on the bottom but I'll be damned if I can figure out how / what I'm supposed to use to remove them.

Anyone care to check their unit and hazard a guess as to how you'd remove the knobs?

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:33 am 

HDgaming42 wrote:
Anyone care to check their unit and hazard a guess as to how you'd remove the knobs?

Look closer - there's a grub screw, probably allen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:37 am 

Dochartaigh wrote:
HDgaming42 wrote:

Look closer - there's a grub screw, probably allen.

Right you are! Damn they're small. Thanks--have it disassembled and it's as I feared--no swelling caps, which is about the only thing I could have troubleshooted. :(

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:54 am 

Hi guys,

Thank you for this topic! , I just got this gear and do some clip video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2VbdKGBdVo&t=6s

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:30 am 

Hey guys,

I have static vertical lines/artefacts in my image on my dreamcast with the Extron DSC 301 HD + OSSC setup. You can see them on the right side of this image:

It's also visible here on the grey bottom texture:

Generally the whole image has always these lines but they are better visible in motion during gameplay. So it was not that easy to make them visible on screenshots.
Is there a way to get rid of these lines/artefacts? Do I have some wrong settings in my setup? Is it just bad vga cable/ vga box quality? Is it normal?

Many thanks in advance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:04 am 

are the input resolutions settings correct on both devices ? OSSC set to DTV and is your input info screen on the DSC showing the right resolution ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:25 pm 

Many thanks Fudoh, the DTV setting did the trick. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:11 pm 

Are there any alternatives to these scalers that can simply take analogue RGB and output HDMI but simply passthrough the signal?

I thought I could use one of these DSC 301's to solve my problem of getting 15khz/480i analogue sources into a flat panel that does excellent with 15khz but doesn't have analogue RGB inputs, but I just realized this Extron unit, like all other scalers and VGA-to-HDMI converters I've found, seem to have been designed only with PC resolutions in mind, so at best they only take 480p, and when they do take 15khz like this one they inevitably upscale it. Is an OSSC the only option available?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:15 pm 

fernan1234 wrote:
Are there any alternatives to these scalers that can simply take analogue RGB and output HDMI but simply passthrough the signal?

I thought I could use one of these DSC 301's to solve my problem of getting 15khz/480i analogue sources into a flat panel that does excellent with 15khz but doesn't have analogue RGB inputs, but I just realized this Extron unit, like all other scalers and VGA-to-HDMI converters I've found, seem to have been designed only with PC resolutions in mind, so at best they only take 480p, and when they do take 15khz like this one they inevitably upscale it. Is an OSSC the only option available?

I think the OSSC is currently the best option for straight digitization. The RT2X will do it, but it doesn't do RGB, is limited to 15kHz input, and I think it needs to be configured for passthrough every time you power it on (someone please correct or confirm).

Where the DSC 301 HD is concerned, as far as I can tell, the scaler is always on, and it always scales to a specific output resolution and framerate, which makes it a great choice for doing last-mile upscaling and framerate normalization for the OSSC, but that makes it a bad choice for straight digitization. There might be a way to turn off the scaling, but I haven't had enough time with mine to figure that out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:34 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
I think the OSSC is currently the best option for straight digitization.

It sure looks that way. In fact it looks like it and the RT2X are the only options available (besides expensive input cards for Sony pro monitors). I guess there never really was a lot of demand for straight DACs for SD sources.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:48 pm 

Quote:
I guess there never really was a lot of demand for straight DACs for SD sources.

if it only was so easy. Analogue to digital always requires sampling and applying the proper rates can be essential. While for - let's say component to HDMI - the OSSC doesn't seem much differnent from the Retrotink (or any generic YUV to HDMI box for that matter), the differences are huge with the OSSC being so far ahead of its competition, that - if you look closely - anything more simple just won't do for a really good analogue to digital conversion.

Digital to analogue in comparison is a breeze.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:42 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
if it only was so easy. Analogue to digital always requires sampling and applying the proper rates can be essential.

The more I think about it the more this makes sense. No wonder DACs are a dime a dozen, whereas ADCs (which is what I meant to write in my previous post) are very specialized, and for most use cases people would want them to scale as well, almost no one would want them to just passthrough stuff given that flat panels are so crappy at handling old sources anyway.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:24 pm 

I recently played Ridge Racer V on my PS2 set up with a component cable with my Extron / OSSC combo with GSM Selector set to 1080i and OSSC set to line2x. The picture is pretty nice this way and very sharp. Unfortunately there is tearing from time to time. It's not always there but if it's there it's obvious. I am pretty sure this is not from the game but from the Extron. I have an old firmware version (1.14.0007) on the Extron so I'll try to update and see if there is a difference. I tried to set the output in the Extron settings to "YUV 444 Full" instead of "auto" but that didn't change a thing. "auto" will output RGB 444 Full. Output resolution of the Extron is 1080p. Does anybody know how to solve this? Has somebody else experienced this? To me it looks like it's a bit too much processing for the Extron.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:47 pm 

dc_coder_84 wrote:
I recently played Ridge Racer V on my PS2 set up with a component cable with my Extron / OSSC combo with GSM Selector set to 1080i and OSSC set to line2x. The picture is pretty nice this way and very sharp. Unfortunately there is tearing from time to time. It's not always there but if it's there it's obvious. I am pretty sure this is not from the game but from the Extron. I have an old firmware version (1.14.0007) on the Extron so I'll try to update and see if there is a difference. I tried to set the output in the Extron settings to "YUV 444 Full" instead of "auto" but that didn't change a thing. "auto" will output RGB 444 Full. Output resolution of the Extron is 1080p. Does anybody know how to solve this? Has somebody else experienced this? To me it looks like it's a bit too much processing for the Extron.

I get tearing only when my ipad is connected and outputting 1080p and only when the extron is set to output the native resolution of my TV (852x480). No idea why.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:08 pm 

strayan wrote:
I get tearing only when my ipad is connected and outputting 1080p and only when the extron is set to output the native resolution of my TV (852x480). No idea why.

What kind of TV is that with such a resolution? Maybe an old LCD or Plasma TV?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:12 pm 

fernan1234 wrote:
strayan wrote:

Yeah. Old Hitachi plasma (model 42PMA300A) with a DVI input.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:21 am 

strayan wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:
strayan wrote:

Yeah. Old Hitachi plasma (model 42PMA300A) with a DVI input.

How do 16:9 Wii games look on it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:46 am 

I have now updated the firmware on my Extron from 1.14 to 1.26. The issue with tearing is still there when playing Ridge Racer V on PS2 in 1080i via GSM Selector and OSSC set to line2x output mode.

But what has changed is the 480i/576i picture and OSSC set to line3x. In static images there are almost no more "uncertain" / "jumping" pixels. Maybe the image for these Signals is a bit softer / less sharp now but I am not sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:15 am 

strayan wrote:
Today I discovered 2 things about my 301 (one good, one bad):

1. If I connect my PC to the D-sub connector it allows me to enable AMD Virtual Super Resolution [VSR] (woohoo!) in the Radeon Settings application whereas if I connect via HDMI, Virtual Super Resolution goes back to being 'not supported'. Any idea why this might be? Is there a workaround? I'd much rather stay in the digital realm.

2. Unfortunately if I connect my PC to the D-Sub input on the 301 it appears to throw the colour temp (or something) off. I can partially correct for it by adjusting the colour temp settings on my PC but something is still not quite right (everything has some kind of weird tint to it). Driving me nuts! Anyone else experienced this?

I ended up buying a Extron EDID 101V EDID minder and got VSR working again on my 1360x768 monitor even though AMD don't list this as a supported resolution. Can go up to 2560x1440 too.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5