CRT screen cleaning

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Magicalbottle

CRT screen cleaning

Post by Magicalbottle »

I got a PVM 2130, but there looks to be some substance on the glass screen which I can't remove with normal soap/water. If this is burned in for some reason, any way to clean this off?
Classicgamer

Re: CRT screen cleaning

Post by Classicgamer »

Screen burn can not be fixed.

If it is dirt on the outside, try rubbing alcohol.
Magicalbottle

Re: CRT screen dirt cleaning

Post by Magicalbottle »

Classicgamer wrote:Screen burn can not be fixed.

If it is dirt on the outside, try rubbing alcohol.
It's no screen burn, it's on the outside of the tube. Alcohol didn't work though.
Dochartaigh

Re: CRT screen dirt cleaning

Post by Dochartaigh »

It could be the screen coating which can break down over time. Many of the pro monitors (some regular TV's too) have this anti-glare coating on them. It can be peeled off if you take the front bezel off (which can be a pain), then you slowly start from one side and peel it off. There's a video or two about it on youtube.

If yours doesn't have the coating, and it's messing up the image while it's on, I would try magic eraser (I would actually try this before peeling the coating off because of how difficult that can be). I won't guarantee it won't make things worse, but after trying Windex, Alcohol, and Goof-Off on a screen and something STILL doesn't come off, I'll break out the magic eraser. I was scarred the first couple times I did it, but to date it hasn't marred any of the PVM's I've tried it on (I forget exactly which but I usually deal with PVM-20/14M2's and PVM 13/1953's type models for the most part). YMMV of course so do it with the understanding it could help, but could also damage (although it's never damaged mine).
nem

Re: CRT screen cleaning

Post by nem »

It's glass. You could try buffing it out.

Naturally, if there's an anti-glare film, you want to remove that before anything else.