Best way VGA Dreamcast into PVM 20L5

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
magus90

Best way VGA Dreamcast into PVM 20L5

Post by magus90 »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for always being helpful in getting my gear setup.

I am trying to now get my Dreamcast into my PVM 20L5 so i can play in 480P. What is the best way to go about this? I am not really worried about the 480i only games so idc if the setup only works for 480p.

Another question, is there a solid way to have end result be a component cable? That way i can plug all my component systems into a switcher, including the DC and be able to have all the systems connected at once. I have 2 inputs but one has my RGB/Gscart/BNC going into it. So i am left with 1 input for the rest of my component systems, and then this damn VGA dreamcast.

Thanks in advance
nmalinoski

Re: Best way VGA Dreamcast into PVM 20L5

Post by nmalinoski »

Since you're already using RGB SCART, I recommend a BeharBros Toro and a male-to-male SCART cable. That will integrate perfectly with your existing setup; it'll get you 240p, 480i, and 480p over SCART; and it'll be significantly cheaper than trying to hook it up to your component switch, which would require a Dreamcast breakout box anyway (to get RGBS/RGBHV output), plus an Extron RGB interface (for converting RGBHV to RGBS), a ShinyBow SB-2840 (RGB SCART to YPbPr component), and the assorted required cabling.

Also, the Dreamcast doesn't use VGA; it outputs DTV 480p (720x480 frames, not VGA 640x480), just like other 480p consoles, only it does so using RGBHV instead of RGBS. It's possible this was done to both provide compatibility with CRT PC monitors and avoiding damage to 15kHz-only consumer CRT TVs.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I don't see how that could add compatibility nor protects 15Khz only monitors - changing the width of the active frame area doesn't do anything except change the size of the blanking region.

One 14L5 / 20L5 thing you will need to do is increase the Y CLP delay in the service menu. Otherwise, the left side of the active picture will be clamped as the black reference level, and the image will get darker and have color streaks in it.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

mikejmoffitt wrote:I don't see how that could add compatibility nor protects 15Khz only monitors - changing the width of the active frame area doesn't do anything except change the size of the blanking region.
VGA monitors require RGBHV--they wouldn't work if the Dreamcast output 480p RGBS. The Dreamcast outputs RGBHV when using 480p, which means a VGA monitor is likely to be capable of displaying its output.

As for 15kHz-only TVs, those with RGB input (SCART, pretty much) are expecting composite sync, not separate sync, so my thinking was that such a display wouldn't be able to sync on horizontal sync alone, and thus wouldn't be overwhelmed or damaged by the 31kHz signal, which is one potential reason why the PS2 switches to RGsB for 31kHz+ and the Xbox only allows RGB output at 15kHz; however, thinking about it again, I think you're right about it not necessarily protecting the TV, because the RGBHV output would have to be TTL sync, which would surely be capable of damaging a TV on voltage alone.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

nmalinoski wrote:Since you're already using RGB SCART, I recommend a BeharBros Toro and a male-to-male SCART cable.
I use this exact setup for Dreamcast on a 20L5. 240p, 480i and 480p all work fine.
magus90

Post by magus90 »

DoomsDave wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:Since you're already using RGB SCART, I recommend a BeharBros Toro and a male-to-male SCART cable.
I use this exact setup for Dreamcast on a 20L5. 240p, 480i and 480p all work fine.
Interesting. I didn't know SCART could do 480p 30khz?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

magus90 wrote:
DoomsDave wrote:
Interesting. I didn't know SCART could do 480p 30khz?
Depends on what you're talking about. SCART cabling is capable of analogue 1080p; however, most SCART devices are limited to standard definition video when using RGBS. The Toro box will output 480p from the Dreamcast over SCART, but you still need something that can accept a 480p RGBS signal.