Options for using PS1 without slow cd loading times?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Star1

Re: Options for using PS1 without slow cd loading times?

Post by Star1 »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:For anyone wanting to get a ps-io that can't do the switchboard install. It really is not expensive. I do them frequently and have always maintained a low price. It's still very cost effective and a well built device.
Right now, seeing as the audio glitch is fixed (apparently?), the only real downside of the PS-IO is the fact that there is at least a four month waiting list to get one.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Star1 wrote:the only real downside of the PS-IO is the fact that there is at least a four month waiting list to get one.
You might want to check stone age gamer tomorrow.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
Arthrimus

Post by Arthrimus »

the Goat wrote:You might want to check stone age gamer tomorrow.
Yep, I just ordered one from them, $124.99 plus shipping. Not too bad of a mark up to receive it now instead of several months from now. I have an order through cybdyn that won't ship till march of next year. I guess I'll just have a spare.
plus ça change,
plus c'est la même chose,
The more that things change,
The more they stay the same.- RUSH- Circumstances

I install and sell mods at arthrimus.com | SNES RGB Bypass+Dejitter available now! | Watch me live stream my work on YouTube
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

rama wrote:Yes, that's the flawed emulator. Not a great option at all.
I didn't realize it was an emulator.
Star1

Post by Star1 »

the Goat wrote:
Star1 wrote:the only real downside of the PS-IO is the fact that there is at least a four month waiting list to get one.
You might want to check stone age gamer tomorrow.
Thanks!
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Pretty sure these are being drop shipped as I live in Aus and received email confirmation from PSIO over a fortnight ago that it was in the mail on its way.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Mine was delivered on the 6th. I found it a little weird that DHL sent it to New Zealand, and then to the US from there.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

I decided to buy a modbo 5 chip and have a go at the install. It looks like there is a lot of wires to solder but for $5, I thought I'd have a go.

If I can get it to work, it should be the best way of playing PS1 games in terms of loading times (if they can be used off my hard drive). It's certainly less expensive than buying a PS1 and PSIO.
Star1

Post by Star1 »

Classicgamer wrote:I decided to buy a modbo 5 chip and have a go at the install. It looks like there is a lot of wires to solder but for $5, I thought I'd have a go.

If I can get it to work, it should be the best way of playing PS1 games in terms of loading times (if they can be used off my hard drive). It's certainly less expensive than buying a PS1 and PSIO.
You would be limited to using Popstarter (which as you might have gathered is not that great) if you want to run ps1 games from a hdd on a ps2.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

No, the mod chip allows direct boot of PS1 backups (or imports) on the PS2. I should be able to use the regular HDD loader.

The latest (version 5) of the modbo also has USB hdd support for PS1 and PS2 backups.

If I didn't like how any of that turns out, I could just play PS1 backups from disc as they load so quickly on the PS2.

I am most worried about installation as my soldering skills are amateur at best.
Star1

Post by Star1 »

Everything except booting discs will use popstarter, doesn't matter if you use HDLoader, usb...
That is the (only) advantage of installing a mod chip. As for the installation, it's not as difficult as many would have it, but at the same time, it is certainly not beginner friendly.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

The main advantage with the chip is cost. $5 instead of $130 + another $60 for a modded PS1.

For me, there just aren't enough PS1 games that I want to make it worth investing. It's only the light gun games really.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

just to clarify: there is no way to boot PS1 games using HDD Loader at all - HDD loader only works on PS2 titles and runs them natively with or without a mod chip

the modchip will let you boot PS1 backups directly, which is the only way to play them on a PS2 using bare metal and not POPS
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I bought two new old stock laser units from that Amazon seller and easily installed them on a 5500 and a 1000 console, both load discs almost as fast as loading disc images with a PSIO, so I'd recommend getting one of those as a great option. Back then they were $25 each but I remember hearing they have gone up in price.

They are PSOne laser units but will work on any model with the included ribbon extension.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

fernan1234 wrote:I bought two new old stock laser units from that Amazon seller and easily installed them on a 5500 and a 1000 console, both load discs almost as fast as loading disc images with a PSIO, so I'd recommend getting one of those as a great option. Back then they were $25 each but I remember hearing they have gone up in price.

They are PSOne laser units but will work on any model with the included ribbon extension.
Assuming you're talking about the Totalconsole KSM-440BAM units, they absolutely have gone up in price. Totalconsole is still selling them on Amazon, but it'll now cost you $70 plus $9 shipping (possibly also plus tax) to get it shipped from them, or it'll cost you $90 (possibly also plus tax) to get it from them with fulfillment by Amazon. They're selling them for $60 on their website, but you're still looking at shipping (and possibly also tax), but that's still WTF pricing. I would much rather have a $100~$150 ODE for this thing than spend that kind of money on a CD drive that's just going to die in another 10 years.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Yeah those are the ones. That sucks. It wasn't that long ago when they were only about $25 Amazon-fulfilled, pretty sure it was this year still. I may be wrong but I even remember the guy saying somewhere that he wasn't out to scalp anyone and bought the whole lot to save these units from being wasted or something like that.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

It was this year. I bought one in early January for $23; it's only shot up since. There are even several examples on eBay for >$100. (Pro tip: Don't buy any of these; these drives are not worth the asking price.)