Console Games Updates/Patches?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Makoto_Nanaya

Console Games Updates/Patches?

Post by Makoto_Nanaya »

Hello All,

Pardon me if this is not the appropriate forum for these questions.

As a gamer living in the US, if I purchase games from other regions (like the Korean version of Battle Garegga for the PS 4, for instance), how will updates/patches work? Will I need a VPN in order to download and install updates? Will my US-based VPN allow me to access the updates? I wonder the same about the Psikyo Collections for Switch. Will I be able to download the patches for those games

I have a J-360 and have installed updates for many of those games, but I cannot purchase certain DLC as it is region locked, which leads me to be concerned about how updates/patches might work on current gen consoles.

I'll appreciate your thoughts!
nmalinoski

Re: Console Games Updates/Patches?

Post by nmalinoski »

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you'll be able to download patches without issue. Typically, it's just retail discs (up until the current generation, at least) and digital purchases that are segregated by region.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

You have your PS4 connected to the internet, you insert the disc, check for updates and download the updates that's it, patches are not region locked.

For DLCs, you would need a japanese account, but you can create one for your US console, no problem.
Makoto_Nanaya

Post by Makoto_Nanaya »

Lawfer wrote:You have your PS4 connected to the internet, you insert the disc, check for updates and download the updates that's it, patches are not region locked.

For DLCs, you would need a japanese account, but you can create one for your US console, no problem.
Thank you. I do have a Japanese account for my PS 4. It's just always been unclear to me if updates/patches are region locked. On the J-360, updates are not region locked, and some DLC is not region locked. Other DLC IS region locked. So, I'm assuming it may be similar on a PS 4. I guess I don't want to spend money on imports if I cannot patch them with the latest update.