Best way to get a 240p signal to Apple III green CRT from pc

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Roboplodicus

Best way to get a 240p signal to Apple III green CRT from pc

Post by Roboplodicus »

Edit: I'm going to try to find a old Radeon card to use with CRT_Emudriver, does anybody know if the ATI Radeon ATW 9600XT is compatible with CRT_emudriver? There is one for sale for cheap near me.

original post

I want to use a Apple III green monochrome CRT for word processing on my PC. What would be the least expensive or simplest way to get a 240p signal to this screen? The only equipment I have right now that would be of any use is a HDMI to Compont/YUV scaler that can convert 480p HDMI to 480i Component. I tried using the monitor with a 480i signal but the flickering is too distracting even though it is a long persistence phosphor CRT. Am I correct that the least expensive way to do this is probably just to get an old radeon graphics card with s-video output, then use the CRT_Emudriver drivers with it to make it output 240p? From what I've gathered all the converter boxes that do what I want are either sort of hard to find and/or expensive.
Last edited by Roboplodicus on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Re: Best way to get a 240p signal to Apple III green CRT fro

Post by Fudoh »

Will the Extron RGB 201 Rxi convert 480p VGA to 240p RGBs? The features page at extron's site is sort of confusing.
no, you would need to pick up an Extron VSC as well. 480p to 480i using the VSC and then you can try the 201 to make the monitor display the signal as 240p instead of 480i.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I assume you are emulating the Apple// or Apple/// here?

Reproducing the output of a real machine from a PC will be tricky. I have never tried what you're doing, but I would use the Radeon card or use a Corio2 for the job.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Roboplodicus

Post by Roboplodicus »

orange808 wrote:I assume you are emulating the Apple// or Apple/// here?

Reproducing the output of a real machine from a PC will be tricky. I have never tried what you're doing, but I would use the Radeon card or use a Corio2 for the job.
I'm actually not planning on doing anything that sophisticated with it, for now anyway, haha, basically I'm trying to get into creative writing but I'm kind of easily distracted and I thought maybe a monochrome display would help me stay focused, like reduce the amount of visual stimulae. I know there are some monochrome LCDs that take VGA but I had this old apple tube laying around because I originally planned on playing super smash bros on the n64 on it but when I brought it home I realized it has long persistence "ghosting" phosphors so its pretty ill suited for any kind of gaming with moving objects so I just had it stored under my desk maybe(totally) being used as a footrest. And I figure before I go and spend 100+ dollars on a new LCD if there was a less expensive way to just use the screen I already have I wanted to go in that direction. I'm a little concerned about the flickering since even at 240p obviously its still going to only be displaying 60hz, but since this tube is one of those "ghosting" tubes which makes it bad for playing games on it actually makes it better for non gaming applications, since the ghosting is in fact specifically put there to reduce flickering. But ya I'm hoping using a monochrome monitor can help me get and stay in my writing zone. I also sort of figured since I have a little standard def 13" panasonic PVM if I got a old radeon card that can do 240p I could eventually use it not just to write on the Apple III monitor but also beautifully emulate a bunch of old game consoles with it too.
NJRoadfan

Post by NJRoadfan »

The Apple /// monitor really isn't suited for any fast motion at all. Its long persistence phosphors were originally for use with the interlaced display modes on the Apple ///, which was rarely used (the monitors were more numerous than the computers are were mostly used on Apple IIs). These monitors were a chore to play actual Apple II games on back in the day as a result. If you really want distraction free writing, find an actual Apple II to connect it to and use a period word processor (white text on a black background).
Roboplodicus

Post by Roboplodicus »

NJRoadfan wrote:The Apple /// monitor really isn't suited for any fast motion at all. Its long persistence phosphors were originally for use with the interlaced display modes on the Apple ///, which was rarely used (the monitors were more numerous than the computers are were mostly used on Apple IIs). These monitors were a chore to play actual Apple II games on back in the day as a result. If you really want distraction free writing, find an actual Apple II to connect it to and use a period word processor (white text on a black background).
Just get an old computer hmm....that might not be a bad idea. And that's interesting, I had assumed that it was meant to make 240p flicker even less apparent, but the apple III had 480i modes? Do you know if the apple III did anything like slight vertical smearing to make flicker even less noticeable like the "anti-flicker" option does in Smash Melee on Gamecube or was the long persistence of the phosphors enough alone deemed enough by most to deal with 480i flickering?
Roboplodicus

Post by Roboplodicus »

NJRoadfan wrote:The Apple /// monitor really isn't suited for any fast motion at all. Its long persistence phosphors were owriginally for use with the interlaced display modes on the Apple ///, which was rarely used (the monitors were more numerous than the computers are were mostly used on Apple IIs).
Do you know if the Apple II monitors used long persistence phosphors also btw?
NJRoadfan

Post by NJRoadfan »

The Monitor II monochrome unit uses regular green phosphors.
Roboplodicus

Post by Roboplodicus »

NJRoadfan wrote:The Monitor II monochrome unit uses regular green phosphors.
Do any of the Amber monitors use regular persistence phosphors?

Edit: Do you know if the ATI Radeon ATW 9600XT is compatible with CRT_emudriver?