shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:29 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:04 am 



Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 402
As pikkon mentioned in the main modding thread, check if your wires are going near the flyback.

I use shielded cable for all of my video lines, from old high quality VGA cables, with shields grounded at both ends. Also a good idea to keep cables as short as possible.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:52 am 



Joined: 06 Nov 2018
Posts: 29
Yeah, I may have to re-run/resolder wires. Is it not weird though that the noise is somehow introduced
through the monitor plugged into the integrated graphics?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:29 pm 



Joined: 06 Nov 2018
Posts: 29
So it turns out that noise is coming from my PC. That appears on my lcd monitor attached to integrated graphics with the TV disconnected and unplugged.

Any ideas what would cause THAT?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:05 pm 



Joined: 14 Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Rewire the cable and still not get any results , thats what i get when on windows xp + soft15HZ : https://klovimg.com/album/l663

As you can see on some pictures, the screen is a bit clearer when the switch is on, but then i get all that black stripes and stuff when windows boots, oh and thats affect the normal channels too not only AV

Will take off the board tomorrow and re-check everything, just a question: if i still can see the OSD menu and use the composite, so thats a signal i not destroy the CRT? or that i not took off the wrong surface resistors? thanks


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:50 am 



Joined: 06 Nov 2018
Posts: 29
That looks like missing hsync.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:56 am 



Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 402
mgerety wrote:
So it turns out that noise is coming from my PC. That appears on my lcd monitor attached to integrated graphics with the TV disconnected and unplugged.

Any ideas what would cause THAT?


Have you tried another VGA cable?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:04 am 



Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 402
HellRazor wrote:
oh and thats affect the normal channels too not only AV


This mod will affect all inputs when the switch is flicked but will only sync up on the AV input that has the sync coming in. On all other inputs you will see a rolling RGB image.

This looks like a sync issue to me, do not change the RGB mod.

As I asked mgerety, if there is anyway to test with a console or something else with a standard sync signal? This thread is about RGB modding, not connecting a PC to a TV.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:10 pm 



Joined: 14 Nov 2018
Posts: 24
MarkOZLAD wrote:
HellRazor wrote:
oh and thats affect the normal channels too not only AV


This mod will affect all inputs when the switch is flicked but will only sync up on the AV input that has the sync coming in. On all other inputs you will see a rolling RGB image.

This looks like a sync issue to me, do not change the RGB mod.

As I asked mgerety, if there is anyway to test with a console or something else with a standard sync signal? This thread is about RGB modding, not connecting a PC to a TV.


I can understand man, will try to find any solution on the specific threads


Last edited by HellRazor on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:29 pm 



Joined: 06 Nov 2018
Posts: 29
MarkOZLAD wrote:
mgerety wrote:
So it turns out that noise is coming from my PC. That appears on my lcd monitor attached to integrated graphics with the TV disconnected and unplugged.

Any ideas what would cause THAT?


Have you tried another VGA cable?


I’m now 90% sure it’s a bad PSU. Can affect and eliminate the noise by manipulating the main power wire coming out of the PSU. Already have a new modular PSU on order, should be here tomorrow, along with brand new VGA cables as well (just to be sure).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:05 pm 



Joined: 06 Nov 2018
Posts: 29
MarkOZLAD:

In the thread linked here: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56155&start=1510

Sparker 599 modded the 27fv300 (ba-5d chassis) in basically the same way I did (same jumpers for RGB, different value inline resistors for RGB), looks like a different blanking input (went after the Lxxx coil instead of the jumper... beyond that, identical), but didn't use the 75ohm resistors to ground on the RGB lines. This seemed to work.. any idea why? Is it because the source he used had 75ohm resistors to ground, but my VGA from my PC wouldn't? I'm just trying to simplify the final implementation of the BA-5D mod as much as possible.

Any feedback on that?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:20 pm 



Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 402
mgerety wrote:
MarkOZLAD:

In the thread linked here: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56155&start=1510

Sparker 599 modded the 27fv300 (ba-5d chassis) in basically the same way I did (same jumpers for RGB, different value inline resistors for RGB), looks like a different blanking input (went after the Lxxx coil instead of the jumper... beyond that, identical), but didn't use the 75ohm resistors to ground on the RGB lines. This seemed to work.. any idea why? Is it because the source he used had 75ohm resistors to ground, but my VGA from my PC wouldn't? I'm just trying to simplify the final implementation of the BA-5D mod as much as possible.

Any feedback on that?


Ah that guy.... He works by experimentation and based it on some work I had done prior to the final formulation of the OSD Ext RGB Mux method. Whilst he has a decent result, the way we've done it is correct and has it's basis in mathematics.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:08 am 



Joined: 14 Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Hello! I Manage to get a Sega Saturn for tests. Also try on a raspberry pi with VGA out and i starting to see something (retropie):
Image
Image
Image
Image

The other channels all show a rolling image as Mark says, so i think im on the right track


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:41 am 



Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 402
That second image shows me the RGB is fine. Have you tried setting the Pi to output 240p. There are heaps of guides online.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:53 pm 



Joined: 14 Nov 2018
Posts: 24
You can confirm if bad resolutions can bring that black horizontal stripes or its more circuit related? oh the thing also shows over the OSD
Image

I really not sure if that VGA666 adaptor is sending the right frequencies, i think its sending 60hz and thats the problem too, that one above is set at 240p

EDIT: Almost there: https://klovimg.com/album/lryV that crazy vga666 resolutions brings all kind of pain to the crt, most resolutions not work, however now i think i sure its a signal or wiring problem and not a mod problem, what you think Mark? will test the Saturn when i back home

ps: that doubled screen can be a sync problem too?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:49 pm 



Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 402
So the double screen is stable?

I’d expect that is due incorrect configuration of the Pi.

Very close now.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:25 am 



Joined: 14 Nov 2018
Posts: 24
MarkOZLAD wrote:
So the double screen is stable?

I’d expect that is due incorrect configuration of the Pi.

Very close now.


The doubled screen is very stable but just on that resolution, the pixels stay there, but there some blueish on the red of that red joystick on the (retropie) intro and that blueish blinks, i know that not normal because the normal retropie joypad intro is just red, not more


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:15 am 



Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 402
The RGB mod part of the equation is so simple you needn’t worry much. Hook up that console and you’ll see it is fine.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 am 



Joined: 14 Nov 2018
Posts: 24
omg im close man! :)
put sync on composite pin of the 10 pin saturn mini din and got this:
Image
Image

The first one is normal composite (i dont know why its green on the photo some crazy anomaly), then i got the RGB one yellowish and out of focus sadly. Gonna try to put the sync on sync and not on composite pin but really still not know what could be wrong here, something on my mind telling me to put a resistor or capacitor in some place..i put that 470 ohm resistor they recommend on scart cables on the composite pin of the mini din plug too, will remove and see what happens


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bobrocks95, Google [Bot], Sargon, slerch666, superg and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group