shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:56 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:37 am 



Joined: 30 Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Good evening everyone. I did this mod to my 36fv300 and it all looks fine except for a couple of things. The color is a bit washed out which I assume I can fix with some menu tuning. The other issue I have is that the input is shown on the screen permanently. Any ideas what might cause this? Possibly related, the blanking seems to always be on no matter the position of my switch, flipping it just switches between left shifted and correctly positioned. If it makes a difference im feeding composite sync through video 3 and not the s video composite input. I appreciate any input you all might have.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:20 am 



Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 774
ebzero89 wrote:
Good evening everyone. I did this mod to my 36fv300 and it all looks fine except for a couple of things. The color is a bit washed out which I assume I can fix with some menu tuning. The other issue I have is that the input is shown on the screen permanently. Any ideas what might cause this? Possibly related, the blanking seems to always be on no matter the position of my switch, flipping it just switches between left shifted and correctly positioned. If it makes a difference im feeding composite sync through video 3 and not the s video composite input. I appreciate any input you all might have.


Have you pressed the display button on the remote?
_________________
___________________________________________________
MarkOZLAD
OSD/External RGB Mux Diagram
OSD/External RGB Mux Resistor Value Table 0.7Vp-p : 0.5Vp-p

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:33 pm 



Joined: 30 Jul 2019
Posts: 6
MarkOZLAD wrote:
ebzero89 wrote:
Good evening everyone. I did this mod to my 36fv300 and it all looks fine except for a couple of things. The color is a bit washed out which I assume I can fix with some menu tuning. The other issue I have is that the input is shown on the screen permanently. Any ideas what might cause this? Possibly related, the blanking seems to always be on no matter the position of my switch, flipping it just switches between left shifted and correctly positioned. If it makes a difference im feeding composite sync through video 3 and not the s video composite input. I appreciate any input you all might have.


Have you pressed the display button on the remote?


Took me a while to get a remote, but pressing the display button indeed fixed the problem. However, in plugging in a bunch of other systems, other strangeness has happened. My set up uses a gscartsw but I've tried with and without it. All of my cables (except one) are from retro-access or rgc and work fine on my other RGB modded TV using Composite video as sync. On this TV however, the only cable that produces a signal when the blanking switch is "on" is the one that is not from retro-access or RGC. If I plug any of those cables directly into the TV with blanking on or off nothing shows up on the screen. If I plug in the lower quality cable I get a screen with decent color and correctly positioned. If I flip the blanking switch "off" there's a bunch of interference on the screen and it's left shifted.

If I run one of the retro-access cables directly into the TV I get nothing regardless of the position of the blanking switch. If I run a retro-access cable through the gscartsw with sync regeneration turned on, I get nothing if the blanking switch is "on" but if it's "off" I get the same crappy colored interference signal. I know there's a lot of variables I have here, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the issue could be. I'm thinking it could possibly be the switch itself that's not a real On-Off, and is somehow connected inside? It's a SPDT switch and I only have 2 of the poles connected. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you'd like photos I can definitely get those.

EDIT: So I tried just twisting together the blanking wires to remove the switch from the loop. It turns out the switch is probably fine, and all the retro-access cables behave the same if they're just twisted together (also removed the gscart to eliminate that). Looking closer at the image it's probably not interference it's just REALLY bright and super washed out. Like the white balance is thrown way out of wack. The edges are still fairly crisp but the white/brightness makes it look really fuzzy. So the only thing I can think of being left is the 2200 ohm resistor I used. It was one that I just had laying around and is pretty suspect given how unstable of a reading my multimeter gives when I measure it. I have some good ones coming from mouser, so I'll see if that fixes the issue. Though it doesn't really explain why that one cable works with no blanking at all...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:34 pm 



Joined: 30 Jul 2019
Posts: 6
I've basically fixed the issue above. Firstly the the brightness was set too high. Secondly, the cable I was using for sync was too long and was unshielded. Making matters worse, whenever the back of the TV was put on the sync cable was forced to sit directly on top of the flyback. The mod works fine, I just need higher quality cables.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:51 pm 



Joined: 14 Apr 2020
Posts: 11
Hello friends. I am very happy with the beautiful image provided by the sony trinitron crt. I have made several rgb mods and the image is beautiful. But I have a problem with a sony crt tv model kv-21fv12 / 5 with BA5 chassis. The problem is that vertical stripes or bars appear as ghostly on TV. The rgb mod was a success but I would like to know if these stripes are solved with a replacement of electrolytic capacitors. If so, will it be only those in the horizontal section? or recommend changing all of the crt.
https://postimg.cc/rzkB7JXc
https://ibb.co/JkXByMC
https://ibb.co/dBMNYv2
https://ibb.co/Xt1tK01


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:41 am 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Aug 2018
Posts: 6
Location: Brazil
Guys has anyone had problems with the MOD on the BA-5D where the image disappears and only the sound remains on the TV? It is as if they went into protection after an hour and two or two hours on, the image disappears, is it a source defect with the damn CI MCZ3001D? Models KV-29FV305 and KV-29FA210, I do not believe it is a problem in the MOD since no one here has reported this problem.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:16 am 



Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 24
mgerety wrote:
snip

Thanks for the guide. I cleaned it up quite a bit.

If you have an BA-5D, you can do a really clean install by putting the d-sub 15 plug near the ANT.
https://i.imgur.com/8FQ9VKT.jpg

Attach the resistors onto the jumpers.
https://i.imgur.com/eTPVmmV.jpg

Put the 75 OHM resistors into the female end.
Use the S-video plug as ground.
Jump the sense pins to enable s-video 24/7.
https://i.imgur.com/ikd3MWB.jpg


Last edited by Ryeno on Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:25 am 



Joined: 10 Aug 2020
Posts: 7
abispac wrote:
Hey, thanks for this wonderfull guide, i just need a little help with my tv, the chassis says its a BA-5 but the pics dont look anything like mine, so i was wondering if someone would be so kind to help me decide what do i need to to mod this huge stone heavy tv, thanks for any help.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image


It looks like you have the same setup that my TV has, which is a KV-27FV17. The print on my PCB doesn't match anything referenced in the service manual for my set, even tho it is supposed to be a BA-5, according to the label on the back of my set, so I am stuck as well. I'm beginning to think there are MANY different "BA-5" chassis variants.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:47 pm 



Joined: 10 Aug 2020
Posts: 7
What's happenin, all?

So, I was having difficulty making sense of all of this information at first, but I got it sorted and have successfully RGB modded a KV-27FV17, piping sync into Component "Y", however my image is shifted slightly left. Any ideas on what to change to remedy this? Should I pipe sync into the S-Video port instead, or..? TIA.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:18 am 



Joined: 10 Nov 2020
Posts: 2
Cliggster wrote:
What's happenin, all?

So, I was having difficulty making sense of all of this information at first, but I got it sorted and have successfully RGB modded a KV-27FV17, piping sync into Component "Y", however my image is shifted slightly left. Any ideas on what to change to remedy this? Should I pipe sync into the S-Video port instead, or..? TIA.



Still haven't done my mod yet, but to fix that from what I understand you need to go into the service menu and adjust it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:05 pm 



Joined: 17 Dec 2020
Posts: 1
Cinder wrote:
Hello friends. I am very happy with the beautiful image provided by the sony trinitron crt. I have made several rgb mods and the image is beautiful. But I have a problem with a sony crt tv model kv-21fv12 / 5 with BA5 chassis. The problem is that vertical stripes or bars appear as ghostly on TV. The rgb mod was a success but I would like to know if these stripes are solved with a replacement of electrolytic capacitors. If so, will it be only those in the horizontal section? or recommend changing all of the crt.
https://postimg.cc/rzkB7JXc
https://ibb.co/JkXByMC
https://ibb.co/dBMNYv2
https://ibb.co/Xt1tK01


I have the same problem but I fixed it then it came back(I have to fix it again). From my understanding it most likely the connection to the in line resistors on the RGB lines I believe that I fixed this issue by reflowing the solder on the in line resistors and the rgb wires. If I fix it again I will let you know the solution


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:49 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2020
Posts: 106
So I was trying to find a CXA2154S datasheet via web search and I found this:

https://unitedcomunication.eu/cxa2154as-datasheet-35/

It's MarkOZLAD's circuit diagram and some webcrawler-harvested text from this thread. Interesting.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:48 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2020
Posts: 106
mgerety wrote:
I’m not sure how to read the svideo. There seem to be 2 pins which might be that presence detection you’re talking about. One goes to ground, and the other goes..... nowhere.


I noticed the same thing going over the schematic for my KV-27FV16. The S-Video detection pin goes nowhere. Neither the front nor rear jacks. S-Video Y goes straight into the Jungle IC. Does the Jungle have some kind of internal detection logic to handle it?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:58 pm 



Joined: 10 Aug 2020
Posts: 7
Osirus wrote:
mgerety wrote:
I’m not sure how to read the svideo. There seem to be 2 pins which might be that presence detection you’re talking about. One goes to ground, and the other goes..... nowhere.


I noticed the same thing going over the schematic for my KV-27FV16. The S-Video detection pin goes nowhere. Neither the front nor rear jacks. S-Video Y goes straight into the Jungle IC. Does the Jungle have some kind of internal detection logic to handle it?


No plug needs to be inserted. Solder your sync input line to the back of the connector. It worked on my 27FV17 just fine.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:25 am 



Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 774
Osirus wrote:
So I was trying to find a CXA2154S datasheet via web search and I found this:

https://unitedcomunication.eu/cxa2154as-datasheet-35/

It's MarkOZLAD's circuit diagram and some webcrawler-harvested text from this thread. Interesting.


Weird.
_________________
___________________________________________________
MarkOZLAD
OSD/External RGB Mux Diagram
OSD/External RGB Mux Resistor Value Table 0.7Vp-p : 0.5Vp-p

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:35 am 



Joined: 04 Jan 2021
Posts: 5
DRC wrote:
MarkOZLAD wrote:
Very interesting!

It has the same jungle chip as the BA-5D - CXA2154s

The procedure should be very similar. The OSD circuit is nigh on identical.

OSD inlines are R025, R026, R027 5600 Ohms
OSD ground resistors are R086, R087 and R088 - ready for removal!
Caps are C352, C353 and C395 (I think..)

Would be cool if you could identify jumpers on these lines if there are any.

OSD Diodes are D003/D075. OSD Termination resistor is 3300 Ohms R004. 2200R on 5V line will be fine as per other sets.

Inline RGB resistors for OSD mux should be of value 910 Ohms. 1000 Ohms would likely be fine.



R - JW341
G - JW342
B - JW343

I got 5V from CN006 Pin 7, and blanking goes to the cathode of D003. Im sure there are top side jumpers that could be used but I didn't look.
I used 910Ohm inline resistors, 75Ohm terminations, and removed R086, R087 and R088. I hate surface mount components haha.

I wired everything up to molex connectors for easy case removal, and to use either VGA for a Dreamcast @15k, or a SCART connector if and when I get something that uses it.

Would switching sync to Luma on S-Video or Component fix the left shift of the image? I just wired to composite video as thats what I'd used on the other few TVs I had modded.

Pictures here -
https://imgur.com/a/lZTtECe



I have the same configuration. Trying to receive input from a computer with a VGA connector. Did the mod, and besides having issues getting the correct resolution, the OSD has no color at all...any idea what I may have done wrong?

Edit: here is a sketch of how I wired my board up, and some other info. I don't see any color at all (OSD or the wrong res image from PC).
Image

I can provide pictures also if that helps. I appreciate any help - I am a first timer.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:42 am 



Joined: 04 Jan 2021
Posts: 5
Making some progress - I can recognize windows in the scrolling screen (vertical and horizontal scrolling). Still trying to get a stable image with Nvidia custom resolutions. These settings I found got me in the ball park https://imgur.com/rL1UX7n

The image and osd as I noted above seem to be essentially black and white - not color. I just picked the TV off of craigslist and honestly didn't think to check the osd for color when I brought it home, only tested that the component in from a computer worked - it did and still does with color. I have a faint recollection thinking the color was odd when I did the initial test because I have another trinitron (not moddable) and the osd color on that one is green. So I may have received the TV with a crapped out OSD?

Could this be just due to sync issue, or do I need to replace the caps? Here are some pics...appreciate any suggestions or observations.

Thanks to all in this thread (especially MarkOZLAD), I really analyzed the info and was able to complete the mod with just the info here....so close!

Image Image Image Image Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:49 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2020
Posts: 106
Trying to remove the MA board from a KV-27FV16. Can anyone tell me how to disconnect this connector?

Image

Is it even possible? It looks like its all one piece. It connects the MA board to the neckboard and both ends of the cable have the same kind of connector.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:06 pm 



Joined: 10 Aug 2020
Posts: 7
Osirus wrote:
Trying to remove the MA board from a KV-27FV16. Can anyone tell me how to disconnect this connector?

Image

Is it even possible? It looks like its all one piece. It connects the MA board to the neckboard and both ends of the cable have the same kind of connector.

You can't unplug it. You either have to work while teathered to the neckboard, or desolder it at one end or the other.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2020
Posts: 106
Cliggster wrote:
You can't unplug it. You either have to work while teathered to the neckboard, or desolder it at one end or the other.


Suspected as much. What a load of crap. Because of that one connector I have to haul this whole TV up to the workbench instead of small circuit board. :x


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 1461
Why not just disconnect the CRT socket?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:11 pm 



Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Posts: 51
Conveniently, I too have a KV-27FV17, and had trusted it had a BA-5 chassis, so I guess I too can toss my hat in the ring, see if we can sort this mess out and properly document it.

That requires tearing mine down, so step 1.

I had ordered some mod boards from OSH Park last year and was hoping to house the mod on that board. I have three of them, so if it works I can document in relation to that.

Yeah, this one:

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/Nvh6xyRy

If that link returns 404, try this one:

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/JpxJNG1c


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:48 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2020
Posts: 106
I finished mine, used a DE-15 connector like I always do. Didn't do a write up since this chassis is already well documented.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:48 pm 



Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Posts: 51
Cliggster wrote:
abispac wrote:
Hey, thanks for this wonderfull guide, i just need a little help with my tv, the chassis says its a BA-5 but the pics dont look anything like mine, so i was wondering if someone would be so kind to help me decide what do i need to to mod this huge stone heavy tv, thanks for any help.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image


It looks like you have the same setup that my TV has, which is a KV-27FV17. The print on my PCB doesn't match anything referenced in the service manual for my set, even tho it is supposed to be a BA-5, according to the label on the back of my set, so I am stuck as well. I'm beginning to think there are MANY different "BA-5" chassis variants.
Seems like you worked it out. Did you happen to take any notes or pictures?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:56 pm 



Joined: 10 Aug 2020
Posts: 7
Quote:
Seems like you worked it out. Did you happen to take any notes or pictures?


Once I looked at the bottom of the "MA" board, I started finding some of the components referenced in the service manual. From there, I was able to figure out the rest.

Keep in mind the the component #s in the schematic may not match the #s on your board, but you can figure out where in the circuit you are by getting the value and type of a particular component on your board, since the values of your components will match the values on the schematic.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:23 pm 



Joined: 04 Mar 2021
Posts: 4
If the blanking is made to be always on will I be able to use other inputs? I have a KV-32FS300 and I'd like to be able to switch between component and RGB without having to flip a physical switch on the tv.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:39 pm 



Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Posts: 51
Okay, well that is good to know at least. So everything should match (value-wise) the BA-5 schematic back on page 1 of the thread?

If so, I will try to document component numbers for posterity.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:00 pm 



Joined: 10 Aug 2020
Posts: 7
numbski wrote:
Okay, well that is good to know at least. So everything should match (value-wise) the BA-5 schematic back on page 1 of the thread?


Affirmative.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:50 pm 



Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Posts: 51
r757chan wrote:
If the blanking is made to be always on will I be able to use other inputs? I have a KV-32FS300 and I'd like to be able to switch between component and RGB without having to flip a physical switch on the tv.
Nope. Blanking means exactly that. Video is blanked out for the OSD RGB.

I have been kicking around ideas for triggering the blanking apart from a physical switch. In theory, the sync line can be detected using an IC (forget which one, but I have 10 or so laying around here, not expensive). One could watch for sync from the SCART connector, and when it is present, switch the blanking line. When it isn’t present, revert to YPbPr.

I need to get my display modded up, but once I do that, this should be trivial to implement, and would be a nice quality-of-life improvement.

Potential downside would be not having protection against having both a RGB signal and a YPbPr signal being input simultaneously, but that may not even be problematic, as you would have that if you called up the OSD display on that input. If so, a relay bank could be used to swap wholesale.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:32 pm 



Joined: 04 Mar 2021
Posts: 4
Hmm, this makes me tempted to just convert RGB to component for the CRT and just forget the RGB mod unfortunately. Is there anywhere on the board you can get voltage from based on what input you set the TV to? If so this could probably be used to trigger a relay or something and still keep everything remote controlled.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abispac, Foxe, geekmiki and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group