Are there any CRT pro monitor capable of 1080p?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nodoyuna

Are there any CRT pro monitor capable of 1080p?

Post by Nodoyuna »

Hi

I've seen some CRT BVM monitors can do 720p and 1080i, but I haven't seen any info about 1080p being supported on pro crt monitors

Are there any?
Is it better to get a HD TV for those resolutions, or maybe a LCD pro monitor?

Thanks in advance
Fudoh

Re: Are there any CRT pro monitor capable of 1080p?

Post by Fudoh »

The video monitors are limited to 1080i, but if you get a PC monitor (e.g. a Sony FW900) then 1080p (or higher) are no problem at all.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Fudoh wrote:The video monitors are limited to 1080i, but if you get a PC monitor (e.g. a Sony FW900) then 1080p (or higher) are no problem at all.
I think it will be better to get something like the Sony FW900 for 16:9 and have all those resolutions together...
It will be expensive, I suposse...

I've seen the Sony FW900 is a 24" 16:9, what should be the equivalent size in 4:3?

Also, are there any alternatives to the FW900?

I think there are no bigger 16:9 monitors than 24", right?
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

That monitor is a 16:10 when displaying 16:9 you will loose real state on the top and lower part of the monitor. But you can stretch everything out to fit 16:10 which circles will become oval. maybe an alternative is to wait for the 22" 4K OLED monitor and see how that looks like and performs. People are anticipating end of this year released for less than 1k
The Future Is Now
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:The video monitors are limited to 1080i, but if you get a PC monitor (e.g. a Sony FW900) then 1080p (or higher) are no problem at all.
One of them can do 1080p, you talked about it a year ago or so? Though it's super rare, it is 16:9 and I think the size was 23" or 24", but I can't remember the model number.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

The BVM-F24U apparently does 1080p60 (though it was heavily marketed for its special 1080p24 mode, triple scanned to reduce flicker), and there's a brochure here. Wow, I'd forgotten that the mighty BVM D32 still doesn't do 1080p. Total stagnation in the line since that cool super-early 1080i monitor a lucky member mentioned here - as far as resolution goes. Lots of cool features added over the years for cinematography and news organizations.

There should be a number of high-end CRT TVs supporting 1080p. They'll be big (36" imperial, and up, and a few hundred pounds) and expensive.

In the other direction, 21" monitors (including rebadged Sony monitors, like the Compaq P110 I had for a while years back) should give you about the same real estate for 4:3 content - possibly a bit more. Viewable space for 16:9 will be tiny, of course. The FW900 and these should be fairly similar to the BVM 24" series and 20" respectively, except serving up higher resolutions through RGBHV (PC VGA), and of course the FW900 is designed for 16:10 aspect content as SNK-NEO-GEO mentioned, which was 1920x1200. I'm not really sure of a sensible use case for these monitors outside PC gaming, and even there it's getting impossible to drive these monitors off modern graphics cards. The last graphics card outputting VGA was released ages ago, and I think analogue DVI disappeared soon after.

You're definitely going to get more space for the weight with modern displays. There's lots of 1080p and 4K models out these days with low input lag. If you're a last-gen devotee, you can also find some cheapo 720p models (though beware that some of these have weird pixel counts that are slightly off 720p and might not perform exactly perfectly).
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Hi... Thanks a lot for the replies...

I'm redoing my game room and I've located all I want for my 4:3 needs with a couple CRT presentation monitors. Whith these, I'm covering everything up to 800x600 and (if everything goes well, also 1024x768)

I'm asking now about 16:9 as I'd like to get a similar approach for more new stuff, including later consoles, later PC games and also watching movies. I'd love to get a CRT for these, but it seems a better option would be to get a high-end TV CRT as I'd like to get a big one :)

I already have a 19" PC monitor, but I'd like to get something bigger... Also, the one I have is 4:3, so it's not the best option...

@Ed Oscuro: which are some high-end CRT TV's?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Ed Oscuro wrote:The BVM-F24U apparently does 1080p60 (though it was heavily marketed for its special 1080p24 mode, triple scanned to reduce flicker), and there's a brochure here. Wow, I'd forgotten that the mighty BVM D32 still doesn't do 1080p.
I'm not sure but I could swear I saw in a D-series brochure or manual that the D-series BVMs also do 1080p24 (and of course only 1080ip60/50). Actually testing this feature sounds like it would involve a bit of a complicated setup.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

What's your intended usage?

Why the obsession over a pro monitor? A pro 4k screen is going to be about £20,000 ... 1080 probably £4k ... and I've no idea about input lag. Upshot: Just not worth it unless your the kind of person that would already know the answers to ...well... anything. And even then, still not worth it imho.

At this stage I would be confident saying you'd be best putting research into a decent lcd (+ scaler?) for whatever your usage is. Remember any pro crt you buy at this stage is probably 15+ years old... last new I saw were 2004, maybe production went on for a year or 2 more?

... But to answer:
Nodoyuna wrote: I've seen the Sony FW900 is a 24" 16:9, what should be the equivalent size in 4:3?
About 20" ... You can find more 4:3 20" crts knocking about than FW900s though - multisyncs/diamond pros etc. (Though even these are getting far fewer.)
Nodoyuna wrote: Also, are there any alternatives to the FW900?
There are some ... but they'll probably be even harder to find that FW900... mostly orientated around CAD/manufacturing/medical/academic usage, don't remember them being that popular for video/broadcast - most of the video/broadcast around then would tend to still make use 4:3 and letterbox widescreen formats (as opposed to jail barring 4:3 - which you'd do these days).

720p/1080i are more common commercially, but suitability might depend on your intended usage... anything up and including 360/ps3 will be fine on 720p and would be well worth your consideration when thinking about availability/age/cost/found quality ... *if* that fits your intended usage. Be aware with some digital processing, there are reports of some of these screens introducing input lag if this is a concern.
Nodoyuna wrote: I think there are no bigger 16:9 monitors than 24", right?
Not widescreen 1080p off the top of my head ... The size/weight/flat face geometry issues of crts was just an impractical issue for both office and home.
Again; more options around 720p... after all by the time 1080p was really a consumer/commercial thing (what post 2005 ish ... maybe even later, post 360 + ps3 + blu-rays) and we were well into lcds being the standard, even if in the office they tended to be still 4:3...
Last edited by gray117 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I think, as far as CRT TVs go, you can find pretty much any late-model high-end set will have good quality, something like the Sony XBR series. Follow a simple plan: Investigate what TVs are available locally, and then run the model numbers through your favorite web search to see if you can figure out the specs.

Chiming in after gray117: Yeah, 720p is pretty much the real last-gen standard. The PS3 and Xbox 360 may support 1080p, depending on the exact model, but many games still only render around 720p and then upscale later, if you're connected to an 1080p display. The 360 didn't have 1080p support at launch, it turns out! linky thing. Some games, like Ninja Gaiden II on 360, render substantially less than 720p internally, let alone 1080p. There's probably not a ton of reason to pine after an ultra-high-end CRT TV for such games.

1080p24 is pretty much a cinematography thing, it's going to be useless for gaming. I don't have any idea what would happen if you tried to display 30fps or 60fps on such a device. The same is true of all the other exotic equipment - sure it puts out a nice image, but you might not find many features for gaming there.

The same goes for OLED screens (which SNK-NEO-GEO mentioned, not the op). Yeah, the price is pretty crazy. There are some nifty features on those screens but they're not worth the price for gaming, especially as input lag is a known factor and getting quite low.

For my money, you want to check out gaming monitors (for sizes up to 27" and for more modern gaming) or TVs (for larger sizes). CRT TVs still have a place, but that's for older gen consoles imho.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

gray117 wrote:What's your intended usage?
The usage will be modern consoles, from the two latest generations (PS3, 360 and even PS4, Switch) I think the previous generation is only capable of 480p (like PS2 and all) Also, I'd like to be able to watch movie content (movies, anime...)
gray117 wrote:Why the obsession over a pro monitor? A pro 4k screen is going to be about £20,000 ... 1080 probably £4k ... and I've no idea about input lag. Upshot: Just not worth it unless your the kind of person that would already know the answers to ...well... anything. And even then, still not worth it imho.
I'm starting to investigate. It seems pro monitors for these resolutions will be too expensive, but as I already have pro monitors for 4:3 usage, I'd like to use pro monitors for 16:9 too
gray117 wrote:At this stage I would be confident saying you'd be best putting research into a decent lcd (+ scaler?) for whatever your usage is. Remember any pro crt you buy at this stage is probably 15+ years old... last new I saw were 2004, maybe production went on for a year or 2 more?
If not a CRT, what should be the best option? Plasma, LCD, LED?
gray117 wrote:720p/1080i are more common commercially, but suitability might depend on your intended usage... anything up and including 360/ps3 will be fine on 720p and would be well worth your consideration when thinking about availability/age/cost/found quality ... *if* that fits your intended usage. Be aware with some digital processing, there are reports of some of these screens introducing input lag if this is a concern.
That should be the main usage: PS3 generation and above...
gray117 wrote:Again; more options around 720p... after all by the time 1080p was really a consumer/commercial thing (what post 2005 ish ... maybe even later, post 360 + ps3 + blu-rays) and we were well into lcds being the standard, even if in the office they tended to be still 4:3...
So, If I understand right: I could have a CRT for 720p / 1080i, as the already named pro monitors, and a LCD as a standard for everything after that (1080p)
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I think, as far as CRT TVs go, you can find pretty much any late-model high-end set will have good quality, something like the Sony XBR series. Follow a simple plan: Investigate what TVs are available locally, and then run the model numbers through your favorite web search to see if you can figure out the specs.

Chiming in after gray117: Yeah, 720p is pretty much the real last-gen standard. The PS3 and Xbox 360 may support 1080p, depending on the exact model, but many games still only render around 720p and then upscale later, if you're connected to an 1080p display. The 360 didn't have 1080p support at launch, it turns out! linky thing. Some games, like Ninja Gaiden II on 360, render substantially less than 720p internally, let alone 1080p. There's probably not a ton of reason to pine after an ultra-high-end CRT TV for such games.

1080p24 is pretty much a cinematography thing, it's going to be useless for gaming. I don't have any idea what would happen if you tried to display 30fps or 60fps on such a device. The same is true of all the other exotic equipment - sure it puts out a nice image, but you might not find many features for gaming there.

The same goes for OLED screens (which SNK-NEO-GEO mentioned, not the op). Yeah, the price is pretty crazy. There are some nifty features on those screens but they're not worth the price for gaming, especially as input lag is a known factor and getting quite low.
Thanks, it seems a TV set should be more compatible between gaming and movie setups, without the need to have two separate monitors for each use
Ed Oscuro wrote:For my money, you want to check out gaming monitors (for sizes up to 27" and for more modern gaming) or TVs (for larger sizes). CRT TVs still have a place, but that's for older gen consoles imho.
I order to get a non-CRT TV for 16:9, what should be the best option? Plasma, LCD or LED?
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

Nodoyuna wrote: Thanks, it seems a TV set should be more compatible between gaming and movie setups, without the need to have two separate monitors for each use
This is arguably the right answer. Not only for convenience, but modern games have UIs designed around large 16:9 displays with high resolutions. You also have the angle where both 720p and 1080i/1080p, along with 240p, integer scale into the 2160p of a modern "4k" UHD TV.

As for what to get, the latest LG OLED TVs are arguably the best out there for for legacy SD/ED/HD content with a SDR dynamic range. OLEDs aren't the last word out there for HDR content due to peak brightness concerns, but for classic games you aren't going to find anything better unless you need lots of brightness in a daylight-lit room, at which point the Samsung QLEDs are a good pick. As always, look at reviews from Rtings to get the best TV reviews out there.

PC monitors are a whole world unto themselves and a bit of a separate conversation. Things worth buying here are going to be 27" or 32", but it's arguably worth waiting a year or two for the wave of 4K displays to hit with a combination of HDR, DP 1.4, and HDMI 2.1.
Last edited by energizerfellow‌ on Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I would still get a 4:3 CRT TV for classic consoles and the PS2 - for the Xbox, GameCube, and everything newer, flat panels are a good bet.

I actually just got a 55" LG OLED set up today. Man, that extra resolution really brings out color shimmer in over-the-air episodes of The Next Generation! :lol: Pretty brilliant set all around though.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I would still get a 4:3 CRT TV for classic consoles and the PS2 - for the Xbox, GameCube, and everything newer, flat panels are a good bet.

I actually just got a 55" LG OLED set up today. Man, that extra resolution really brings out color shimmer in over-the-air episodes of The Next Generation! :lol: Pretty brilliant set all around though.
Yes, I already have the 4:3 classic gaming covered from 240p to 1024x768 resolution with a couple CRT monitors.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

As Ed implies I would just use crt for 4:3 for everything pre-ps3.

You can go crt 16:9, but it's very difficult to find any sets, and the most likely finds are going to be the more consumer orientated 720p sets which would be ok for ps3 and below. Pro crts @ 1080 are going to be a a bit of crap shoot to just find, let alone condition + cost + what happens if they crap out a couple of years from now ... and unless you really want crt for current gen it just really won't be worth the effort imho.

But yeah I'm really feeling you'd be best served at the kind of effort/space/cost that 2. would get demand, to instead explore current tv's and scaling solutions, which could give you the more flexible future proof setup, and which will bridge those awkward gaps that might be standard def widescreen ps2/wii type stuff.

If you're new to any of this definitely check out Fudoh's site:
http://www.hazard-city.de/

And then, yeah, the choice will be what set to purchase. Personally I think LCD LED lit set either new or used will be the best cost/quality way to go - just find a low lag set and check out the reviews. Just beware of TN panel types if buying a pc monitor and colour quality is a big concern of yours (viewing angles/consistency tend to be poorer).

If new for sure canvas some opinions on the forum for your region.

If you choose OLED probably best to buy new and get a guarantee that is over 5 years (presuming at the price you get it at you want to ensure it remains perfect for over 4 years) - recent sets *should* be fine - some older fabs have decayed - either way anyone who says that their OLED product fabrication is now fine should have no problem backing that up with a guarantee... which could be a big thing if you go for a high end 4k set.

Plasma aren't worth the effort to source; unless you can find a low lag one that you can just pickup for cheap, and your choice [due to cost] is simply between that and another similarly aged screen ... but it doesn't sound that cost is quite that restrictive in your case?

Ofc if you already have a decent gaming tv (?), perhaps all you need to check out is connectivity and a scaling solution... :)

4. Contemporary pro solutions exist but they tend to be prohibitively expensive :)

Having said all of this if you really want 2. then by all means go for it, but I wouldn't advise someone spend their time/effort/space in this manner ;)