Famicom AV + NESRGB mod + Framemeister (Help requested)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Kakashi

Famicom AV + NESRGB mod + Framemeister (Help requested)

Post by Kakashi »

Hello. New to this forum. Been reading some threads to try to understand my situation. I live in the Greater Tokyo area and sent my Famicom AV to Osaka to have an NESRGB mod installed. I'll skip the boring parts about it not working at all and me having to send it back once to get it "fixed" and tell you what the situation is now:

I currently am using the RGB21 SFC cable that came with my Framemeister, have the board set up for NTSC / 75 Ohm and three pallettes. Here's a gallery of photos taken of all the internals. The only soldering I have done personally was clean up J4 and solder J8 (yes, I'm an amateur). I can get video+audio output on a composite multi-out through my framemeister. I can get audio output through the 3.5mm jack. I can get audio, but no video through my RGB multi-out through my framemeister. The guy who installed it for me really has no idea what to do and even refunded me for the cost of the installation. (Heck, he didn't even know about changing pallettes and I didn't want to spend more time and money trying to teach someone who just wanted to follow Tim's tutorial.) I am currently using FirebrandX's profiles and have been attempting to change the sync options Framemeister to no avail. It's a little beyond my knowledge since the SFC and PS2 have always worked perfectly using an Auto setup. What's next? Should I pull sync from CS# or even PPUV instead of V? Should I clean up more of the solder joints with IPA like I did with the top?

I don't think this has anything to do with the situation, but I have a bunch of original Famicom carts as well as an Everdrive N8.

Your help would be very much appreciated.
ApolloBoy

Re: Famicom AV + NESRGB mod + Framemeister (Help requested)

Post by ApolloBoy »

Does your RGB cable use composite sync instead of composite video for sync? If so, that's why you're not getting RGB output. I would recommend adding an additional wire for composite sync; to do this you would connect the CS# pad on the NESRGB to pin 3 of the multiout, which is right below the yellow wire on the AV Famicom board. I'm surprised the person who modded it didn't even ask about it. Back when I did NESRGB installs for people I would always wire up everything by default to avoid this issue.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Well I don't what your RGB cable is like so those don't help unfortunately. You could try cracking open the multiout end to see what's wired up, but that could be destructive since the multiout halves are typically glued shut. Try adding the additional wire to the NESRGB as I described and see if you get a picture.
Kakashi

Post by Kakashi »

I'll map everything with a multimeter and then add that wire tomorrow. I'll let you know how I go. Thanks.
Kakashi

Post by Kakashi »

Here's the pinout of the SCART cable when connected to the Famicom AV:

AV -----> SCART

01 (R) ----> ?
02 (G) ----> ?
03 (V+S) -> ?
04 (B) ----> ?
05 (GR) ---> 3, 7, 13, 14, 17, 18, 21
06 (GR) ---> (This is bridged to AV 5)
07 (Y) ----> 9
08 (C) ----> ?
09 (V) ----> ? (works on composite multi-out and has continuity with NESRGB V pad)
10 (+5V) -> 11
11 (L-A) --> 1
12 (R-A) --> 5

Pins 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 have no pinout on the SCART end.

The guy who installed the NESRGB said he tested my cable, but clearly didn't. My cable connects to the SCART->Mini-DIN convertor that came with the Framemeister, so I'm not sure what I need to buy if I need to get a GameCube SCART cable...

UPDATE: Just tested the pinout on my SFC and got the exact same readings. So, if the SFC works with RGB, then the AVFC should. Hence, the next step is to hook up CS# to AV 3. (After I fix the wire on the pallette switch that has now come loose.)
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Your pinout shows the cable is wired for Luma sync so you should connect Y from the NESRGB to the multi-out pin 7. While you are at it also connect C to pin 8 and CS to pin 3 so everything is connected.

Strange that you don't have continuity with R,G,B?
Kez

Post by Kez »

I think there are caps on the lines
Kakashi

Post by Kakashi »

There are caps on the lines, yes.

I am really bad at soldering and spent a long time today trying to solder those tiny pads. I might try during the week, but I think it will be a next weekend project.

Thanks for the advice.