shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:28 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:46 pm 



Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Posts: 283
Here is a quick vid of Sonic running on the monitor. It's the best I could do while holding the camera with one hand... turns out you need two hands to play Sonic or you can't jump over baddies.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cgjVcbH9Pio

I looked all over the screen to see if I could detect any unwanted effects from the fast motion. I couldn't see any. Take a look at the video though. Maybe you'll be able to stop a problem that I missed.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:03 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2013
Posts: 314
I can't entirely tell if I see warping on the screen or not due to the shaky cam :P

I think a really good test to spot screen warping is the scroll test on the 240p Test Suite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b75Y8BEV4T4


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:50 am 



Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Location: MN, USA
So I’m really interested in getting one of these for MVS and X68000 use.

How was the delivery? Did you need to be there for the delivery? I assume they had a lift gate truck or something and left the pallet by your door?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:39 am 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2015
Posts: 456
Location: Rome
These pictures looks super crisp to me!

Definitely a great buy for someone in need.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:47 pm 



Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Posts: 283
No Onions wrote:
So I’m really interested in getting one of these for MVS and X68000 use.

How was the delivery? Did you need to be there for the delivery? I assume they had a lift gate truck or something and left the pallet by your door?


It was meant to be around $140 but, looking at my invoice, it appears that they only charged me the original rate of $90. I need to check my bank statement to see if I got billed the extra.

Mine was delivered to a residential address with no questions. It was dropped off outside my garage door which means they had a liftgate and moved it up my driveway on wheels.

I had to sign for it. If you can't be home for deliveries, try calling them to see if Saturday delivery is an option. I wouldn't risk leaving it out in the rain all day personally.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:29 pm 



Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Posts: 283
donluca wrote:
These pictures looks super crisp to me!

Definitely a great buy for someone in need.


Yup, espiecially as there are so few other options for buying a new CRT arcade monitor these days :)

If you are someone who values an authentic arcade experience, it's a great option.

The image and tube may lack the technical excellence of my Ikegami broadcast monitor but playing on a real (and large) arcade monitor gives me more joy.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:59 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2013
Posts: 314
I just got a shipping notification for the original shipping amount ($99 to Arkansas). Never got an email saying it'd cost more. :D


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:15 pm 



Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Posts: 283
cr4zymanz0r wrote:
I just got a shipping notification for the original shipping amount ($99 to Arkansas). Never got an email saying it'd cost more. :D


That's great news. Maybe the guy that emailed me was wrong. The monitor is heavy but it is didn't feel like it was heavy beyond UPS's weight limit.

For things that require freight shipping like my CNC machines, you literally can't budge them an inch without a crane or forklift. Two people would have no trouble lifting one of these monitors onto a desk.

Make sure you ordered the power cable and a vga gender changer off ebay.

If you plan to use it with an Extron interface, you should also order a female BNC to vga adapter. Those interfaces only output on male BNC cables so it will make life easier.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:24 pm 



Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Posts: 283
For those avoiding arcade monitors because they don't want to build an enclosure, I have found a place that sells crt monitor back covers for Sega Net City cabs like this:

http://www.shadaloo.eu/index.php?route= ... uct_id=188


I sent an enquiry to find out if they can be shipped to America (from the U.K.) and if so, how much.

They are selling for around $25-$30 depending on the exchange rate. I believe they will fit these 27" Makvision monitors.

With one of these back covers and the bezel that Happ sells, these 27" / 29" flat Tri-sync crt monitors would look like a regular tv or monitor.

I'll post an update when I get some answers. If they won't ship, I'll ask my family in the UK if they will buy some and ship them for me. Maybe a few of us could share the shipping costs.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:26 pm 



Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Location: MN, USA
I put in an order for one of these along with a bezel over the weekend. Hopefully it will ship out in the next couple days and I will have it by next weekend since it only needs to make the trip from IL to MN. Shipping ended up being $125 via UPS ground, I'm guessing thats because of the bezel being in another box.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:44 pm 



Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Posts: 283
No Onions wrote:
I put in an order for one of these along with a bezel over the weekend. Hopefully it will ship out in the next couple days and I will have it by next weekend since it only needs to make the trip from IL to MN. Shipping ended up being $125 via UPS ground, I'm guessing thats because of the bezel being in another box.


Are you talking about the monitor or the back cover? If you found a place that sells the back covers in America then I would be interested in ordering one too.

The shipping quote I got for the back cover to be sent from England was 150 pounds so it is not really worth it unless it can be split between a few of us.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:00 pm 



Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Location: MN, USA
Classicgamer wrote:
No Onions wrote:
I put in an order for one of these along with a bezel over the weekend. Hopefully it will ship out in the next couple days and I will have it by next weekend since it only needs to make the trip from IL to MN. Shipping ended up being $125 via UPS ground, I'm guessing thats because of the bezel being in another box.


Are you talking about the monitor or the back cover? If you found a place that sells the back covers in America then I would be interested in ordering one too.

The shipping quote I got for the back cover to be sent from England was 150 pounds so it is not really worth it unless it can be split between a few of us.


I'm talking about the monitor and front bezel, I'm planning to build a little enclosure for the monitor using plywood to save on weight and paint that black and use the plastic bezel to give it a nice finished appearance.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:13 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2013
Posts: 314
I got mine in today. The box having handles made moving the thing not as bad as I anticipated. I could stop and sit it on a step for moment to rest while taking it down the stairs :P.

Anyway, I won't have time to unpack it and test until this evening, but I'm kinda wondering what the best way is to get it out of the box. I could just cut the sides open on the box, but I'd prefer to not do that as the box makes moving it easier, and it'll get moved after testing, then probably again when I start working on a case for it. Is it safe to just lay it face down and slide it out of the box? There's a protective film on the screen itself and it'd be up against the heavy duty corrugated cardboard that's on each side that it appears you have to slide off from the sides (so you can't get it off until it's out of the box).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:29 pm 



Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Posts: 283
If you don't have a friend to help lift it (carefully) out of the box, I would (carefully) cut the box. That is what I did anyway. If I had to risk one, I prefer to sacrafice the box and keep the monitor safe.

Do yourself a favor, go to Harbor Freight and spend $20 on a dolly. Every home should have one in the garage. Being able to put heavy stuff on wheel makes everything easier and safer to move.

I had to hurt my back and tear something in my arm before learning that lesson. Now I have dollys and a shop crane for anything that is too heavy to lift onto a desk on my own.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:34 pm 



Joined: 27 Sep 2018
Posts: 93
No need to cut the box. Get yourself a rug/blanket, then put the CRT face-down and gently pull the monitor assembly out face-down from the rolled-over box. CRT tubes and their related electronics aren't orientation sensitive as long as you don't shock load them, e.g. drop it, and there will be a ton of firm packaging around the CRT face, so feel free to pull face-down from the side all day long. Just don't do it on something like bare concrete or hard floor that can possibly damage the CRT face.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:05 pm 



Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Posts: 283
That was how I got my 25" out the box but I couldn't do it for this one.

My 25" came with hard foam padding sections which slid off easily. This 27" is padded with single pieces of 3" thick cardboard which go all the way around the monitor and were attached to the box on the underside (where I couldn't reach).

We are not talking about ordinary cardboard either. It is that multi-layered and super tough kind. I had a lot of difficulty cutting it off even with the sharpest of knives. I couldn't see any way of cutting it while it was still wrapped around the screen without any risk of scratching it if I slipped.

I though about keeping the box but the reality is that it is huge and there is really no reason to have it taking up space in the garage. If I didn't cut it to retrieve the monitor, I would have cut it up later to put in the recycling later anyway.

Unless anyone is buying these things as collectors items....


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2013
Posts: 314
I was able to lay it face down and slide it out. the big huge thick cardboard wasn't attached to the bottom.

However, I started to hook the thing up and (without powering it on) I noticed the colors didn't match up on the power card molex vs the one attached to the PCB. I checked the pinout and checked the power cord continuity and found that line/hot and neutral are swapped on the power cord. I don't know much about AC power, but that makes me extremely hesitant to plug it in like that. I'm not having much luck popping the pins back out of the molex connector on the power cord to swap them to the correct polarity.

Edit: I was finally able to get the pins out of the molex connector and swap them. Monitor is working, but still in the process of checking things out.

Edit again: It's not quite the holy grail I hoped it would be, but it's still nice. There are some geometry issues, and it does have the 'common' issue flat CRTs have where you can kinda tell it's warping some when it scrolls. It's sorta like a toned down fish eye effect, but only on horizontal scrolling. It seems the worst on the right side of the screen on 15khz sources https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Rodotron_666#Side_Compression_in_15KHz. Convergence wasn't as good around the edges of the screen but not awful. The main time I noticed was in the X68000 menus where the text was fuzzier towards the edges of the screen. In-game I didn't really notice much unless I just started looking hard for it up close to the screen. The versatility of it being tri-sync and able to adjust the H/V width/height on the fly for different sources is nice.

It's not blurry by any means, but don't go expecting this to be your BVM replacement if you want razor sharp scanlines. This does have a very charming "authentic" look. Things are still crisp in RGB, but has that arcade monitor look (except newer, not decades old ones you might run into today in dire need of extreme servicing) :P.

I kinda hoped it'd be better, but I don't know if that's just me being spoiled by the perfect geometry of LCDs. I'll definitely be enjoying it as a gigantic X68000 monitor (and everything else PS2 and older).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:54 pm 



Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Posts: 283
cr4zymanz0r wrote:
I was able to lay it face down and slide it out. the big huge thick cardboard wasn't attached to the bottom.

However, I started to hook the thing up and (without powering it on) I noticed the colors didn't match up on the power card molex vs the one attached to the PCB. I checked the pinout and checked the power cord continuity and found that line/hot and neutral are swapped on the power cord. I don't know much about AC power, but that makes me extremely hesitant to plug it in like that. I'm not having much luck popping the pins back out of the molex connector on the power cord to swap them to the correct polarity.

Edit: I was finally able to get the pins out of the molex connector and swap them. Monitor is working, but still in the process of checking things out.

Edit again: It's not quite the holy grail I hoped it would be, but it's still nice. There are some geometry issues, and it does have the 'common' issue flat CRTs have where you can kinda tell it's warping some when it scrolls. It's sorta like a toned down fish eye effect, but only on horizontal scrolling. It seems the worst on the right side of the screen on 15khz sources https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Rodotron_666#Side_Compression_in_15KHz. Convergence wasn't as good around the edges of the screen but not awful. The main time I noticed was in the X68000 menus where the text was fuzzier towards the edges of the screen. In-game I didn't really notice much unless I just started looking hard for it up close to the screen. The versatility of it being tri-sync and able to adjust the H/V width/height on the fly for different sources is nice.

It's not blurry by any means, but don't go expecting this to be your BVM replacement if you want razor sharp scanlines. This does have a very charming "authentic" look. Things are still crisp in RGB, but has that arcade monitor look (except newer, not decades old ones you might run into today in dire need of extreme servicing) :P.

I kinda hoped it'd be better, but I don't know if that's just me being spoiled by the perfect geometry of LCDs. I'll definitely be enjoying it as a gigantic X68000 monitor (and everything else PS2 and older).


Sounds like you either have the 75ohm / 1kohm switch set wrong or you have the contrast and / or brightness set too high. I made the same mistake at first.

The symptoms of the wrong termination or contrast / brightness being too high are a loss of clarity on the left and right edges of the screen, additional geometry issues and noise in some modes.

Using the wrong settings causes the coils to temporarily overheat producing all kind of unsightly problems. Once I set everything correctly, the geometry issues and clarity issues were largely gone.

For any remaining issues, I was able to correct 99% of them with the pots on the chassis and remote board. You don't want to touch most of them on the board but they sometimes get knocked during transit.

The other thing to check for is that you are feeding the monitor composite sync or seperate sync, not composite video sync.

On the power cable, it should only fit in one way. It doesn't usually matter which way round hot and neutral are on an ac power cable. There are plenty of plugs that allow you to insert it into the outlet from both sides.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2013
Posts: 314
I've got the switch (set to the left, when facing the front of the monitor) to what is marked as the 75 ohm setting, which should be correct for any console or VGA source. VGA (DC, X68000) will have HV sync. Everything else is going through my Extron Crosspoint which requires csync and outputs TTL csync. User manual for the monitor seems to indicate it's expecting TTL csync.

You seemed to imply some discrepancy in the switch labeling in an earlier post. Does it need to be switched to the right (marked 1k ohm) instead? I'm pretty sure it set to the left (75 ohm) when I unboxed it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:56 pm 



Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Posts: 283
cr4zymanz0r wrote:
I've got the switch (set to the left, when facing the front of the monitor) to what is marked as the 75 ohm setting, which should be correct for any console or VGA source. VGA (DC, X68000) will have HV sync. Everything else is going through my Extron Crosspoint which requires csync and outputs TTL csync. User manual for the monitor seems to indicate it's expecting TTL csync.

You seemed to imply some discrepancy in the switch labeling in an earlier post. Does it need to be switched to the right (marked 1k ohm) instead? I'm pretty sure it set to the left (75 ohm) when I unboxed it.


I'll go check what mine is set to when I get home later. I can't remember of the top of my head.

You can find out fairly quickly by trying the other setting. If it makes it better then you'll know if was wrong. If it makes it worse then then turn it off and switch it back. Also note what happens when you turn down brightness and contrast. You'll want to keep it lower until it is broken in.

I would encourage you to get familiar with all the available adjustments on the chassis and remote board as there are a lot of them and a lot of ways to adjust the image to your liking.

All CRT's of that size have some geometry issues at the edges but it should not be anything that is noticeable in game once it is set up right. I would also expect the center to be slightly clearer than the outer edges of the screen on a monitor that size but again, it shouldn't be noticeable in game. You should only be able to see it on the Windows desktop (again if set up right).

Also, try other sources as another method of seeing what issues are on the monitor vs the cable or source voltage. What sources have you tried so far and what resolutions? The reason why I ask is that I have been testing a cheap Supergun on my 25" this week and it does not like it at all. It produces all kinds of image issues I haven't seen on other sources. I suspect it is a voltage issue (I.e. too much from the Supergun rgb).

Plus, try connecting sources directly where possible. Both My arcade monitors have trouble with my Extron devices for most sources except my PC, for some reason. The PS2 works but is better connected directly.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:38 pm 



Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Location: MN, USA
My monitor was delivered yesterday, I haven't pulled it out of the box yet though. The power cable is on backorder until next week so I don't have that yet and I can't use it anyway.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happ has sale on new 27" tri-sync crt monitors
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:14 pm 



Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Posts: 283
No Onions wrote:
My monitor was delivered yesterday, I haven't pulled it out of the box yet though. The power cable is on backorder until next week so I don't have that yet and I can't use it anyway.


I got mine off ebay. It was the standard Wells Gardner kind.

If you don't want to wait, you could make your own. Just cut off the molex and attach any ac power cable you have at home.

It is incredibly annoying when they nickel and dime you on things like power cables though.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bobrocks95, Google [Bot], maxtherabbit, Ruprit, slerch666, superg and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group