shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:37 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:28 am 

Kinda off topic, but I've done some further fiddling with my Smartooo/Xolorspace switches and found that the issue I was having with the XB1X was not necessarily the switch or the Xbox. I had it plugged into the last switch before the receiver, thinking that fewer things between it and the receiver would lead to better results with 4K60 HDR and all that. But if I let it use rest mode instead of fully powering off, it wouldn't be detected when I turned it back on. What was actually happening was that the second switcher (first in the signal chain) was being read as the "always on" input and the XB1X was a conflicting "always on" device. I have moved it to the other switch and now it works fine. I wonder if this would also help with the OSSC, but, since that doesn't seem to play nice with my Denon anyway, probably won't get around to checking it out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:49 am 

I just won an auction for a Key Digital KD-Pro4x1, once I get that in I’ll let everyone know how that works. Also I looked at the Extron 4K switches and I must have missed it earlier but they do have auto switching, they look promising as well. The SWx HD 4K series is 10GBps, so no 4K@60 but for those without the need for that it may work. The mobile website says:

Quote:
Automatically switches to the highest-numbered input with an active video signal

There is a SWx HD 4K Plus series now as well, I didn’t find any of those on EBay but they do all the 4K@60 HDR stuff you would expect with auto switching also, same description for it’s auto-switching. Those are probably $$$ but all it takes is some high profile client dumping a few on an auction to grab a deal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:01 am 

clintkolodziej wrote:
I looked at the Extron 4K switches and I must have missed it earlier but they do have auto switching, they look promising as well. The SWx HD 4K series is 10GBps, so no 4K@60 but for those without the need for that it may work. The mobile website says:

Quote:
Automatically switches to the highest-numbered input with an active video signal

There is a SWx HD 4K Plus series now as well, I didn’t find any of those on EBay but they do all the 4K@60 HDR stuff you would expect with auto switching also, same description for it’s auto-switching. Those are probably $$$ but all it takes is some high profile client dumping a few on an auction to grab a deal.

I tried the Extron 1080p/1200p HDMI switchers and didn't play nice with the OSSC. Unless they changed everything from the ground-up their 4k super pricy ones may not play nice either.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:00 pm 

Which model did you try? Looks like there is a SWx HDMI LC (https://www.extron.com/product/swhdmilc) and SWx HDMI (https://www.extron.com/product/swhdmi).

The SW HDMI user manual states this regarding auto switching:

Quote:
You can set up the SW HDMI to automatically select the active, connected input based on
detection of an active video signal (TMDS clock activity). If two or more inputs are active,
the highest-numbered input port with an active signal is selected (for example, input 4 on
an SW4 HDMI switcher). When auto-input switching is in effect, the green Auto Switch
LED on the front panel lights and the front panel input buttons are disabled.

The SW HDMI LC says this:

Quote:
You can set up the SW HDMI LC to automatically select the active, connected input based
on detection of an active video signal. If two or more inputs are active, the input with the
highest number is selected (for example, input 4 on an SW4 HDMI LC switcher). When
auto-input switching is in effect, the green Auto Switch LED on the front panel lights and
the front panel input selection buttons are disabled.

The SW HD 4K says this:

Quote:
The SW HD 4K can automatically select the active, connected input based on detection
of an active video signal (TMDS clock activity). If two or more inputs are active, the
highest-numbered input port with an active signal is selected (for example, input 4 on
an SW4 HD 4K switcher). When auto-input switching is in effect, the green Auto Switch LED
on the front panel lights and the front panel input buttons are disabled.

So basically the same thing on all three, that doesn't sound too promising, thanks for the feedback there. If I find a SW HD 4K for a deal on eBay I may pick one up to confirm, worst case I could use it as a down chain switcher for other non-OSSC devices. I'm curious what TMDS clock activity is, and curious if there is a difference between what the SteamLink is doing (when in sleep mode) and what the OSSC does in general. I wish there was some way to plug in a device to test what signals are being output to troubleshoot this better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:11 pm 

clintkolodziej wrote:
Which model did you try?

I tried the Extron MultiMatrix SMX switcher. Two different ones, with 2x different HDMI cards (8x8 and 4x4). Seem to be extremely similar to the Extron DXP line as well (which I didn't try). Didn't work for OSSC or OSSC + DSC 301 HD.

If anybody wants to buy them from me let me know lol (I'm sure they're wonderful for non-OSSC HDMI switching + able to do VGA, RGBS, YPbPr, Audio, etc. switching too ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:40 pm 

Oh, so your issue was more on the side of OSSC didn't work at all on it, rather than just an issue with auto-switching? I'm assuming there is no auto-switching in a matrix setup, at least I haven't seen that before. I wonder why it wouldn't work at all, maybe with the odd video timings it doesn't pick it up as a valid video source or something?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:10 pm 

Haven't decided if I want to pick one of these up as well, but a seller on eBay just put up a large number of Extron SW4 HD 4K switchers for 99$ each. Based on Dochartaigh's feedback this *may* not work with OSSC unless they changed their processing on the newer switches, but it appears they have autoswitching and do 4K@30 so these may be better than some of the Amazon cheap-o's for many use cases.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Extron-SW4-HD-4K-HDMI-Switcher-Switch-60-1484-01-NIB-505-Retail-40-in-stock/372792306412?hash=item56cc272aec:g:148AAOSwwKpdlQ2O

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:33 pm 

Chipping in some experience gained when using an Xbox One S with the Vorke HD41Pro: DCHDMI on port 1, UltraHDMI on port 2, Xbox One S on port 3, OSSC on port 4. All of this equipment is powered by a rackmount PDU that I normally keep powered off. When I turn it on, the OSSC seems to be the first to turn on, which is fine. If I turn on any of the other three consoles, they grab priority.

Unfortunately, and I'm not sure yet exactly how this happens (might happen if I don't already have the input on my AVR set to Game; so, perhaps when the switcher doesn't have anything connected to output?), but the Xbox One S will get priority, even though it's powered off, and I specifically didn't enable the instant-on function so its HDMI output wouldn't be active. When this happens, I have to hit the input button on the Vorke to get it to switch back to the OSSC. (Alternatively, I can just shut off the PDU and turn it back on.)

At this point, I'm thinking of just connecting the Xbox One S directly to my AVR to avoid this problem, unless the Xbox 360 I'm going to swap it with does the same thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:37 pm 

I'll test that out as well, when you turn off the Xbox One do you just press the Xbox logo (suspend), or do you hold it for 5 seconds to fully power it off? I usually do the latter and don't recall seeing the same issue but once my Key Digital switch comes in I'm going to do further testing on my three switches (KD-Pro4x1, Monoprice Blackbird UltraHD, Sewell SwitchDeck 4K 5x1) and try to make a more detailed list of those edge cases or devices that cause issues.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:43 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
Chipping in some experience gained when using an Xbox One S with the Vorke HD41Pro: DCHDMI on port 1, UltraHDMI on port 2, Xbox One S on port 3, OSSC on port 4. All of this equipment is powered by a rackmount PDU that I normally keep powered off. When I turn it on, the OSSC seems to be the first to turn on, which is fine. If I turn on any of the other three consoles, they grab priority.

Unfortunately, and I'm not sure yet exactly how this happens (might happen if I don't already have the input on my AVR set to Game; so, perhaps when the switcher doesn't have anything connected to output?), but the Xbox One S will get priority, even though it's powered off, and I specifically didn't enable the instant-on function so its HDMI output wouldn't be active. When this happens, I have to hit the input button on the Vorke to get it to switch back to the OSSC. (Alternatively, I can just shut off the PDU and turn it back on.)

At this point, I'm thinking of just connecting the Xbox One S directly to my AVR to avoid this problem, unless the Xbox 360 I'm going to swap it with does the same thing.
What happens when you unplug the Xbox HDMI from the switcher and then startup? Does it still select that port? Or if you leave the cable plugged in but disconnect from the Xbox?

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:49 pm 

clintkolodziej wrote:
I'll test that out as well, when you turn off the Xbox One do you just press the Xbox logo (suspend), or do you hold it for 5 seconds to fully power it off? I usually do the latter and don't recall seeing the same issue but once my Key Digital switch comes in I'm going to do further testing on my three switches (KD-Pro4x1, Monoprice Blackbird UltraHD, Sewell SwitchDeck 4K 5x1) and try to make a more detailed list of those edge cases or devices that cause issues.

I long-press the Xbox logo button on the controller and select Turn Off Console. Keep in mind that the Xbox One S is currently connected to the same PDU I use for all my retro gear, so it acts like it has just been plugged in. It should stay off, but it seems like it takes longer to initialize than the OSSC, otherwise I would've identified this problem quite soon after setting it up.

ldeveraux wrote:
What happens when you unplug the Xbox HDMI from the switcher and then startup? Does it still select that port? Or if you leave the cable plugged in but disconnect from the Xbox?

First, I still need to do some experimentation to try to reliably replicate the behavior I was seeing; again, I'm not yet sure what causes it. I'll try a few things when I get home from work.

If I remove the Xbox One S, I would expect it would reliably select the OSSC, because the Dreamcast and N64 are fully powered off; they're not like modern computers that enter a very-low-power off state when they're plugged in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:12 pm 

I think that makes sense, I have a new Voltage Regulator that I have yet to integrate into my setup, once I do I'll use that as a master on/off switch for my consoles and related equipment. I'll keep in mind when I test things that there could be different functionality for auto-switching in that scenario, vs an always plugged in scenario. If consoles have standby functionality they may have settings as you mentioned that could affect auto switching, if they are enabled, such as instant-on/suspend.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:37 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
If I remove the Xbox One S, I would expect it would reliably select the OSSC

That's why you have to test it out :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9