I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Star1

Re: I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

Post by Star1 »

Thanks for the input guys. I'm just looking for a way to send Hdmi audio to my receiver without windows detecting it as a 1080P monitor. I'm aware of the Audio extractor in the OP, but it's rather costly.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Star1 wrote:Thanks for the input guys. I'm just looking for a way to send Hdmi audio to my receiver without windows detecting it as a 1080P monitor. I'm aware of the Audio extractor in the OP, but it's rather costly.
Several of the switches have optical spdif and analog stereo out. As long as you don't mind limiting your audio formats a bit then that's a pretty cheap way to go.
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
excalibur wrote:Anybody have any experiences with either of these two 8-port HDMI switches? I want to get the switch recommended in the first post of this thread for my main / 4K devices but I need the extra ports for non-4k devices. I don't want to run into a bunch of problems, so I'm looking around for options, I probably need 10 - 12 total HDMI ports to connect everything.

Here are the switches I'm referring to.

Monoprice 8-port HDMI switch

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4067

IOGEAR 8-port HDMI switch

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-8-Port-Sw ... B005S0YNNM

Worth mentioning, There is also a 4K version of the IOGEAR 8-port switch too, but it's much more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-8-Port-Sw ... B07HLR9QGV
I have not tried either since they don't auto switch. Let us know your results if you try one!

The IOGEAR non-4K version mentions power on detection in the quick start guide, which means it should auto switch to a device when it's powered on. Plus some of the customer reviews / questions suggest that it does indeed auto switch, even though it doesn't seem to be listed in the description.

The IOGEAR 4K version mentions auto switching in the description and even has a physical switch on the back of the device, to enable / disable it.

Not sure about the Monoprice one though, The IOGEAR switches are probably the better options anyway.
pyroman512

Post by pyroman512 »

I've recently updated to a newer sound bar with the surround kit. I have my retro games (framemeister, gcn, dc, n64 (all hdmi)) hooked up to the ARC HDMI slot on my tv. I hooked the new soundbar up there and hooked up the hdmi switch with all my stuff to the sound bar. The video doesn't work until I change the input and it looks like garbage now. So now I'm back here to this thread confused about what I need for my situation. Originally I just needed a good 4k switch for the other stuff on a different hdmi input.

Do I need the audio extractor and splitter to hook up the soundbar to the ARC and still have my retro games be able to plug into that slot? The way I understand it (pretty sure I'm wrong) is that I need the audio extractor to feed the arc line to the soundbar while the hdmi switch sends video to the hdmi arc port. Is that correct or do I need both pieces of equipment in a certain order?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

pyroman512 wrote:I've recently updated to a newer sound bar with the surround kit. I have my retro games (framemeister, gcn, dc, n64 (all hdmi)) hooked up to the ARC HDMI slot on my tv. I hooked the new soundbar up there and hooked up the hdmi switch with all my stuff to the sound bar. The video doesn't work until I change the input and it looks like garbage now. So now I'm back here to this thread confused about what I need for my situation. Originally I just needed a good 4k switch for the other stuff on a different hdmi input.

Do I need the audio extractor and splitter to hook up the soundbar to the ARC and still have my retro games be able to plug into that slot? The way I understand it (pretty sure I'm wrong) is that I need the audio extractor to feed the arc line to the soundbar while the hdmi switch sends video to the hdmi arc port. Is that correct or do I need both pieces of equipment in a certain order?
I have not messed with ARC much since it's format support is extremely limited and the functionality seems to depend on CEC which seems broken in general.

The extractor has a very simple function in my forward-only setups. It's just like a full hdmi splitter, except on the "audio only" port it replaces the the video with a standard signal that every device should be able to sync to. One of my extractors outputs 1080p black screen. And another outputs 720p blue bars.

So you have a simple video signal to reduce problems mixed with the original source audio.

Once again, I can't comment how that interacts with ARC because I've given up on ARC being a good idea.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

pyroman512 wrote:I've recently updated to a newer sound bar with the surround kit. I have my retro games (framemeister, gcn, dc, n64 (all hdmi)) hooked up to the ARC HDMI slot on my tv. I hooked the new soundbar up there and hooked up the hdmi switch with all my stuff to the sound bar. The video doesn't work until I change the input and it looks like garbage now. So now I'm back here to this thread confused about what I need for my situation. Originally I just needed a good 4k switch for the other stuff on a different hdmi input.

Is there a reason that you aren't connecting the output of your switcher directly to your TV, to one of the non-ARC ports, instead of hooking it up through the soundbar? It's possible that the HDMI chip in the soundbar simply doesn't like weird, somewhat- or fully-off-spec signals.

If your TV is otherwise fine with your console output, I would recommend just hooking the switcher directly into the TV, and leaving the soundbar connected to the ARC port; the TV should receive the sound from the retro chain and pass it on to the soundbar, which is the entire point of ARC.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

I have one additional note that has come up in my use. The ViewHD splitter Dirk recommends does work quite well overall, but I encounter some minor issues with using it with HDR. Sometimes when I send an HDR signal through the splitter, my TV will detect that it is an HDR signal but it does not display it correctly. Usually it comes out much darker/dimmer than it should be. When this happens, I go back to my TV's home screen (it's a Roku smart TV), select the input again but just let it sit there and load the preview, then go back to that input. That fixes it every time. I had initially thought that was an issue with the TV, but I have since removed the splitter from my signal chain and I haven't had that happen once since it was removed. An odd issue and a very minor one at that, but just something to think about. Keep in mind that the full signal chain was switcher > splitter > receiver > TV, so it's entirely possible that it was a combination of things causing the issue and YMMV, but just FYI.
pyroman512

Post by pyroman512 »

nmalinoski wrote:

Is there a reason that you aren't connecting the output of your switcher directly to your TV, to one of the non-ARC ports, instead of hooking it up through the soundbar? It's possible that the HDMI chip in the soundbar simply doesn't like weird, somewhat- or fully-off-spec signals.

If your TV is otherwise fine with your console output, I would recommend just hooking the switcher directly into the TV, and leaving the soundbar connected to the ARC port; the TV should receive the sound from the retro chain and pass it on to the soundbar, which is the entire point of ARC.

There is no reason. That was just the port it was always hooked up to. I have cable on hdmi 1, blu ray on hdmi 2, modern consoles on 3, and framemeister/everything previously described on 4. I was thinking what I would do since I don't want to lose any inputs is either connect all the games to hdmi 3 and daisy chain or just swap the blu ray and the retro games. I keep the blu ray on its own input since I have the tv calibrated differently for each input.

I agree that ARC has a lot of problems. Honestly I need to do some testing because the samsung tv has what they call soundconnect which allows me to connect to the soundbar via bluetooth. I'm willing to bet I can get the same sound out of the bluetooth connection than ARC with CEC. I like how my TV remote can control the sound without needing a universal remote.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

pyroman512 wrote:I like how my TV remote can control the sound without needing a universal remote.
This is the one redeeming feature of CEC to me.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Looks like the Vorke HD41pro is no longer available from Amazon, and the only 4x1 switcher they have from Vorke is this thing, which does not appear to be the same hardware design.

The ViewHD Prosumer model is still available, but still significantly more expensive.

There's also what appears to be a similar model (at least in terms of looks), with an Aimos branding, on Ali Express for about $46 USD shipped. There are a bunch of other sellers selling what appears to be the same thing with the same branding, but for $55-$65 each. Anyone want to give it a try? :P
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

This open box switch from Monoprice is $36 and has toslink audio output:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30968

You may be able to find a cheaper open-box option that can extract audio.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Guspaz wrote:This open box switch from Monoprice is $36 and has toslink audio output:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30968

You may be able to find a cheaper open-box option that can extract audio.
The audio extraction isn't really a feature I need (nor is the EDID spoofing); I mainly just want a switcher that will do automatic switching based on port priority and plays nice with the OSSC. If I can get something larger, like an 8x1 or, maximum, 16xN (not a matrix switcher), that still plays nice with the OSSC, then I'd probably prefer that.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I've said before that I have mimicked the setup in the original post. I'm having troubles prioritizing other devices with the OSSC attached to the Prosumer. Even if I put the OSSC in port 4, I have to turn it off before anything else will detect on the other ports. The Prosumer Auto Source is selected and ARC is off. Is there a setting on the OSSC that would cause it to always output a video signal even when not receiving one? I feel like if that was a setting, it should be disabled, though I doubt that's the issue here. I know others have had prioritization issues, but no mention of what solved them.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:I've said before that I have mimicked the setup in the original post. I'm having troubles prioritizing other devices with the OSSC attached to the Prosumer. Even if I put the OSSC in port 4, I have to turn it off before anything else will detect on the other ports. The Prosumer Auto Source is selected and ARC is off. Is there a setting on the OSSC that would cause it to always output a video signal even when not receiving one? I feel like if that was a setting, it should be disabled, though I doubt that's the issue here. I know others have had prioritization issues, but no mention of what solved them.
My understanding of the OSSC's video output is that it will always output the test pattern on boot, and then you need to feed it a sync signal and take it away for it to shut off its video output. If you leave the OSSC powered on from that point, it will only turn its video on when it receives sync.

I can't speak to the switching issues. The other day, my Vorke HD41pro weirdly seemed like it was automatically switching to new sources, ignoring port priority, but I didn't give it a thorough testing. I power cycled it and it seemed to switch normally after that.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:I've said before that I have mimicked the setup in the original post. I'm having troubles prioritizing other devices with the OSSC attached to the Prosumer. Even if I put the OSSC in port 4, I have to turn it off before anything else will detect on the other ports. The Prosumer Auto Source is selected and ARC is off. Is there a setting on the OSSC that would cause it to always output a video signal even when not receiving one? I feel like if that was a setting, it should be disabled, though I doubt that's the issue here. I know others have had prioritization issues, but no mention of what solved them.
My understanding of the OSSC's video output is that it will always output the test pattern on boot, and then you need to feed it a sync signal and take it away for it to shut off its video output. If you leave the OSSC powered on from that point, it will only turn its video on when it receives sync.

I can't speak to the switching issues. The other day, my Vorke HD41pro weirdly seemed like it was automatically switching to new sources, ignoring port priority, but I didn't give it a thorough testing. I power cycled it and it seemed to switch normally after that.
I've tried this with a previously synced feed, not from OSSC restart. Let's say I play a Genesis SCART source through the OSSC into port 4, then turn off the system. That should disable video output from the OSSC? I'm not sure that happens, because when I then activate an HDMI source (from the DSC 301 HD) in port 1, the Prosumer stays on port 4. I definitely have the switch set to "auto" source, which is why I think there must be something in the OSSC. I essentially have that at stock settings.

But I'm ultimately trying to integrate my gcompsw with the system @DirkSwizzler intended in the OP. I'm trying to have a completely auto switching system where regardless of the source I activate (SCART from OSSC, component from gcompsw) it will auto switch to it. I had initially tried plugging the component into the OSSC and have that auto search for input, but I always had to press the button anyway to get it to find the source. And the input searching timeout was too short to be useful. So if anyone else has an idea how I can integrate these, lmk!
Jdurg

Post by Jdurg »

I too ran into that problem with my autoswitchers and the OSSC seemingly messing things up. Sadly, I was not able to find a simple way around it. The problem is that the OSSC is a hot device that will always be spitting out something that messes with the autoswitching. The only option is to actually cut the power to the OSSC.

In my case, my only use for the OSSC is to integrate my SNES into my setup as there are no HDMI boards for the SNES. I believe I posted it here in this thread, or in the Ask Any Questions thread, but there is a power-on switching device that I designed so that when I turn on my SNES, it'll turn on my OSSC and I just leave the OSSC switch in an on position.

On the bottom of the OSSC, I soldered a wire from the +5V line on the SCART Input to the enable line of my switch. When I turn on my SNES, the +5V triggers the power-switcher which then allows the power feed to go into the OSSC and turn that on.

Everything works perfectly for me now. I have no issues with the switcher and have the following devices connected and working perfectly:

1: Cable TV
2: NES
3: SNES Via OSSC
4: N64
5: Gamecube
6: Wii
7: PS3
8: Wii U
9: Switch
10: PC HDMI

Thanks to this thread, they all work wonderfully with my Cable TV as my primary and "base" device, then everything else turning on and switching properly when needed.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Jdurg wrote:I too ran into that problem with my autoswitchers and the OSSC seemingly messing things up. Sadly, I was not able to find a simple way around it. The problem is that the OSSC is a hot device that will always be spitting out something that messes with the autoswitching. The only option is to actually cut the power to the OSSC.

In my case, my only use for the OSSC is to integrate my SNES into my setup as there are no HDMI boards for the SNES. I believe I posted it here in this thread, or in the Ask Any Questions thread, but there is a power-on switching device that I designed so that when I turn on my SNES, it'll turn on my OSSC and I just leave the OSSC switch in an on position.

On the bottom of the OSSC, I soldered a wire from the +5V line on the SCART Input to the enable line of my switch. When I turn on my SNES, the +5V triggers the power-switcher which then allows the power feed to go into the OSSC and turn that on.

Everything works perfectly for me now. I have no issues with the switcher and have the following devices connected and working perfectly:

1: Cable TV
2: NES
3: SNES Via OSSC
4: N64
5: Gamecube
6: Wii
7: PS3
8: Wii U
9: Switch
10: PC HDMI

Thanks to this thread, they all work wonderfully with my Cable TV as my primary and "base" device, then everything else turning on and switching properly when needed.
Yeah, I remember your post now. The problem is, I have ~14 consoles into the SCART input of the OSSC, not one where I could activate it via 5V. Maybe my only solution is to get the Shinybow SCART to component converter and just run everything through the gcompsw. Though I have compatibility issues with that switch and I doubt it will handle the always on OSSC well either.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

@DirkSwizzler, have you experienced any auto switching issues? Or have a recommendation how to integrate all these systems into one switch?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

ldeveraux wrote:@DirkSwizzler, have you experienced any auto switching issues? Or have a recommendation how to integrate all these systems into one switch?
The setup I've detailed in the original post worked for 100% auto switching leaving the OSSC on all the time that my gaming rack was powered.

I've recently been using an HDFury Vertex 2 to replace several devices in the chain. As well as let me chain to different hdmi switchers on different ports of that main device.

It cuts out once every few hours for a few seconds and has a few OSSC limitations I haven't fully mapped out. But the TMDS detection switching, built in splitter and audio out ports. As well as 4k/1080p up/down scaling make it very promising if you have money burning a hole in your pocket.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:@DirkSwizzler, have you experienced any auto switching issues? Or have a recommendation how to integrate all these systems into one switch?
The setup I've detailed in the original post worked for 100% auto switching leaving the OSSC on all the time that my gaming rack was powered.

I've recently been using an HDFury Vertex 2 to replace several devices in the chain. As well as let me chain to different hdmi switchers on different ports of that main device.

It cuts out once every few hours for a few seconds and has a few OSSC limitations I haven't fully mapped out. But the TMDS detection switching, built in splitter and audio out ports. As well as 4k/1080p up/down scaling make it very promising if you have money burning a hole in your pocket.
Nah, not looking to make that investment right now. Just need something that will auto switch reliably. I thought this setup would work, but something's twisted on my end I suppose. Still not really sure why that is. But as you say, HDMI is voodoo!
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

ldeveraux wrote:HDMI is voodoo!
Very true. And it doesn't help that all the data is very anecdotal.

For example, the switchers I've recommended seem to introduce a problem with my vertex 2 when placed between a ps4 4k60RGB signal and the vertex 2 input. But that same switcher has no problem anywhere else in my chains.

Freaking.... Voodoo.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

nmalinoski wrote:Looks like the Vorke HD41pro is no longer available from Amazon, and the only 4x1 switcher they have from Vorke is this thing, which does not appear to be the same hardware design.

The ViewHD Prosumer model is still available, but still significantly more expensive.

There's also what appears to be a similar model (at least in terms of looks), with an Aimos branding, on Ali Express for about $46 USD shipped. There are a bunch of other sellers selling what appears to be the same thing with the same branding, but for $55-$65 each. Anyone want to give it a try? :P
I'd almost be willing to take that risk (wish I'd pulled the trigger while the Vorke was available on Amazon!), but a 2 month wait time...yikes.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

HDgaming42 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:Looks like the Vorke HD41pro is no longer available from Amazon, and the only 4x1 switcher they have from Vorke is this thing, which does not appear to be the same hardware design.

I'd almost be willing to take that risk (wish I'd pulled the trigger while the Vorke was available on Amazon!), but a 2 month wait time...yikes.
Maybe @Dirkswizzler can test some alternatives ??
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

ldeveraux wrote:
HDgaming42 wrote:

Maybe @Dirkswizzler can test some alternatives ??

I'm really hoping to stop throwing money into the HDMI pit
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

The Smartooo or Xolorspace (whatever they are called now) I recommended a while back is still available and still works great...
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

thebigcheese wrote:The Smartooo or Xolorspace (whatever they are called now) I recommended a while back is still available and still works great...
This one?

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDR9Y2I

Does the auto switching work for you? If so, I may just buy it.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

ldeveraux wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:The Smartooo or Xolorspace (whatever they are called now) I recommended a while back is still available and still works great...
This one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDR9Y2I

I tried one of the smartoo's and was unable to get auto switching to work reliably :/
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
This one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDR9Y2I

I tried one of the smartoo's and was unable to get auto switching to work reliably :/
Well, I might reinvent the wheel, since I ordered one anyway. To be fair, I haven't had luck with the OSSC/Vorke combo anyway, so it may be moot.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

The only times I've had issues with auto switching using the Smartooo seem to have more to do with the devices connected to them. For example, OSSC is "always on" and thus doesn't play nice. Xbox One when using it's "instant on" mode suffers the same date. In these cases, I just turn off the OSSC when not in use and tell the XB1 to use energy saver power mode so it turns all the way off. No issues with Switch, PS4, 360, Wii U, PC, or whatever else I have hooked up.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

thebigcheese wrote:The only times I've had issues with auto switching using the Smartooo seem to have more to do with the devices connected to them. For example, OSSC is "always on" and thus doesn't play nice. Xbox One when using it's "instant on" mode suffers the same date. In these cases, I just turn off the OSSC when not in use and tell the XB1 to use energy saver power mode so it turns all the way off. No issues with Switch, PS4, 360, Wii U, PC, or whatever else I have hooked up.
Thanks for reporting this. I'm rolling the dice on the 5x1 unit from Amazon.ca. Will report back when I get it.