I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DirkSwizzler

Re: I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K 18Gbps

Post by DirkSwizzler »

ldeveraux wrote:I have this finally setup and working brilliantly! Am I correct that If I only have the OSSC into the Prosumer that I can just remove the switch? Or does the Prosumer provide some benefit to the overall stream?
You are correct. The switch is there if you have multiple consoles trying to share a TV and/or receiver input.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

DirkSwizzler wrote:You are correct. The switch is there if you have multiple consoles trying to share a TV and/or receiver input.
Oh that's awesome, I guess I'll eliminate it. Oh well! A while back, I bought that crazy insane 17 port HDMI switch that was mentioned on RetroRGB's blog, so I think I have enough ports for all my gaming systems! Thanks again for doing all the legwork with this, very much appreciated.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DirkSwizzler wrote:I just got a VORKE HD41 Pro and Fudoh was correct. This thing behaves identically to the ViewHD Prosumer switch while being cheaper and apparently having marginally better support (I challenge you to find a ViewHD website).
I ordered a Vorke HD41 Pro this morning; I was already mulling the ViewHD Prosumer, and effectively getting one for about $30 less was enough justification to get one. The only concern I might have is that the reviews for it on Amazon are not stellar, as far as build quality is concerned; but, if their support is even moderately okay, it should be fine.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

nmalinoski wrote:The only concern I might have is that the reviews for it on Amazon are not stellar, as far as build quality is concerned; but, if their support is even moderately okay, it should be fine.
I'm sure if I looked through my graveyard I would find more highly rated switches....that didn't work in all my use cases. This thing works with everything I want.
DirkSwizzler

Re: I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Small updates. The most important of which. All of my "white dots"/"specks" notes about daisy chaining turned out to be a bad cable. I have 6 1.5ft cables from SecurOMax and it never even occurred to me that one might be a dud.

Secondly. I got the second Vorke HD41 and hooked it up. For 3 daisy chained switches providing a total of 10 ports. I *finally* have my fully auto switched setup I was questing after.

Primary Switch: PS4 Pro, XBox One X, Nintendo Switch, Daisy to 2nd
2nd Switch: PS3, XBox 360, Wii U, Daisy to 3rd
3rd Switch: Super NT, none, none, OSSC

And since I've got all my analog consoles fully switched with awesome gcompsw and gscartsw products. I turn on any console and it's on the screen with no further action required. And the picture is *always* perfect even after chaining. Because digital.

The daisy chaining configuration here is quite important because both the OSSC and each switch will block any device plugged into a higher number port on the parent switch. Ensuring the "always on" chain is always on port 4 allows any well behaved HDMI device on a lower port to grab attention back.

The one downside is that resolution switches take longer as you add more HDMI hops. As a test I fired up majora's mask on the N64 because the main gameplay is 240p and the notebook is 480i.

Using a direct OSSC -> Computer monitor connection. This transition was a 2-count (I skipped a timer just because I'm lazy. A count is roughly a second)
Using OSSC -> Splitter -> monitor. 3 count.
OSSC -> Extractor -> Splitter -> monitor. 4 count
OSSC -> 3rd switch -> 2nd switch -> primary switch -> extractor -> splitter. 6 count

I know I'm definitely not going to cut the the splitter and extractor out. But luckily my first configuration of splitter first, then extractor means I skip the extractor hop for my monitor and only pay that cost for the main tv.

But I might have to take 1 step back from fully auto-switched and put the OSSC back on the primary switch port 3 and power down the OSSC when not in use. I'm on the fence about it because fully auto-switched is extremely appealing to me.

I've read that this is likely due to each hop having to adjust it's signal timing before forwarding the signal. So putting in some kind of framebuffer based scaler between the OSSC and 3rd switch might eliminate the timing adjustment for instant switching.

I'm way out of my element at this point. So this is probably going to sound stupid.
Anyone know if it's even possible to adjust the output resolution of the OSSC without changing the signal timing. Like can the OSSC always output at a signal rate capable of 1080p60. But just put in a lot of dead data that doesn't actually do anything?
copy

Post by copy »

Thanks for all the great info. I've been waiting to upgrade my HDMI switches for 4K and this is a huge help.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DirkSwizzler wrote:And since I've got all my analog consoles fully switched with awesome gcompsw and gscartsw products. I turn on any console and it's on the screen with no further action required.
How do you manage this without power cycling the OSSC? With my OSSC on 0.82, it gives up on searching inputs after a while.
DirkSwizzler wrote:The one downside is that resolution switches take longer as you add more HDMI hops.
I've read that this is likely due to each hop having to adjust it's signal timing before forwarding the signal. So putting in some kind of framebuffer based scaler between the OSSC and 3rd switch might eliminate the timing adjustment for instant switching.
My plan to address this is to put an Extron DSC 301 HD between my OSSC and the rest of my chain, set to the native resolution of my current display (Which would probably be around 1366x768). Yeah, it'll have framerate conversion, but that means I'll be able to play PAL games on my PS1 and PS2 at 50Hz, and I'll finally be able to use line3x/4x/5x, and the image won't be additionally up/downsampled by my TV.
DirkSwizzler wrote:Anyone know if it's even possible to adjust the output resolution of the OSSC without changing the signal timing. Like can the OSSC always output at a signal rate capable of 1080p60. But just put in a lot of dead data that doesn't actually do anything?
My understanding is that, no, the OSSC isn't capable of that, because that would require a full framebuffer. Something like an Extron DSC 301 HD would be able to handle that for you, but with the aforementioned caveats.

That said, from what I understand of Quick Media Switching in HDMI 2.1, if the OSSC and display were to support that, the display should be able to switch between line-doubled 240p, line-doubled 480i, and 480p without dropping signal, although it sounds like resolution changes will still result in dropouts, and it's not clear if other HDMI devices in the chain would interfere with that (might also need HDMI 2.1 switching equipment/HT receiver).
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

nmalinoski wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:And since I've got all my analog consoles fully switched with awesome gcompsw and gscartsw products. I turn on any console and it's on the screen with no further action required.
How do you manage this without power cycling the OSSC? With my OSSC on 0.82, it gives up on searching inputs after a while.
I leave my OSSC on RGBS input because my analog chain terminates everything in RGBS. If you open the spoiler on my forum signature you can see the bulk of my setup (character limit prevented newer HDMI mentions).

Just a handful of component devices running through a Garo (using Guspaz's mod). And no RGBHV devices. Although I do have the Kenzei and a VGA auto switch if I do add RGBHV devices later.
copy

Post by copy »

Bad news for me. The originally recommended ViewHD Prosumer HDMI switch will not pass 4K@60Hz from my Oppo UDP-203 to my TV. 4K@24Hz and all lower resolutions/frame rates seem to work okay. I'm surprised at this result since Dirk found success with 4K@60Hz from the PS4.

I'm using the latest AmazonBasics HDMI cables. The TV is a Sony X900E. A straight connection from the Oppo to the TV works fine for 4K@60Hz. Has anyone else tested with the UDP-203, or any other 4K Blu-ray player?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

copy wrote:Bad news for me. The originally recommended ViewHD Prosumer HDMI switch will not pass 4K@60Hz from my Oppo UDP-203 to my TV. 4K@24Hz and all lower resolutions/frame rates seem to work okay. I'm surprised at this result since Dirk found success with 4K@60Hz from the PS4.

I'm using the latest AmazonBasics HDMI cables. The TV is a Sony X900E. A straight connection from the Oppo to the TV works fine for 4K@60Hz. Has anyone else tested with the UDP-203, or any other 4K Blu-ray player?
Just to verify. Have you tried using both the cables going player->switch as well as switch->tv as a direct connection to the TV? At that bandwidth cabling becomes a serious issue.

I don't have that same model player. But I do have a Sony UBP-X800 that I can test. Any specific content you were using to generate 60Hz? I'm not sure what framerate my UHD disks are. But I would assume 24
copy

Post by copy »

DirkSwizzler wrote:Just to verify. Have you tried using both the cables going player->switch as well as switch->tv as a direct connection to the TV? At that bandwidth cabling becomes a serious issue.
I tried these combinations:

Doesn't work:
Player->Switch->TV
Player->Switch->AVR->TV

Does work:
Player->TV
Player->AVR->TV

I tested with two different cables from the switch to the TV, a 6-foot and a 10-foot.
DirkSwizzler wrote:I don't have that same model player. But I do have a Sony UBP-X800 that I can test. Any specific content you were using to generate 60Hz? I'm not sure what framerate my UHD disks are. But I would assume 24
I was using the UDP-203's "Custom" output settings to force 4K and 60Hz.

Almost all UHD discs are 24Hz, but according to the UBP-X800 manual (page 21) you should also be able to force 60Hz by selecting these settings:

Output Video Resolution: 4K
24p Output: Off
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

copy wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:Just to verify. Have you tried using both the cables going player->switch as well as switch->tv as a direct connection to the TV? At that bandwidth cabling becomes a serious issue.

Doesn't work:
Player->Switch->TV
Player->Switch->AVR->TV

Does work:
Player->TV
Player->AVR->TV

I tested with two different cables from the switch to the TV, a 6-foot and a 10-foot.
While helpful to test multiple configurations. This doesn't actually answer my question.

What I'm getting at with the proposed test is to do a direct link from the player to your tv. But swapping in *every* cable used during the Player->Switch->TV test. This test is meant to verify that each cable can individually handle the load.

With my own testing there was a flaw that I used a bad cable that was the same make and model as 5 others I had that were good. Without verifying each individual cable used, weird problems can persist. So some of my tests were initially reporting bad results that were later rectified with a cable swap.

As an additional diagnostic question. Did you verify that the switch was not set to some other port as input?
copy

Post by copy »

I thought I did address your question by mentioning that I tested different cables. Yes, I did swap the cables around. All of them enabled 4K@60Hz straight to the TV. None did through the switch.

I did have the switch set to the correct input, of course. I also tried multiple inputs on the switch to make sure it wasn't a bad port.

Have you tried your Sony UHD player set to output 4K@60Hz?
copy

Post by copy »

I forgot to add that I actually tested two different units of the ViewHD switch. (I bought two based on the strength of your recommendation.) Both equally failed with 4K@60Hz.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

copy wrote:Have you tried your Sony UHD player set to output 4K@60Hz?
When I last replied. I was still at work. I've tried it now. Works fine going through the full chain.

4K60p HDR movie
Spoiler
Menu setting and menu setting again with TV showing 4K60p
Spoiler

Main menu just because, showing 4K60p
Spoiler
Action shot of the signal going through all my devices.
Spoiler
Below the yellow splitter...
The signal comes in on a ~10ft hdmi cable into the topmost switch on port 3.
Chains through a 1.5ft cable to middle switch port 4.
Chains through another 1.5ft cable from middle to bottom port 4.
Chains through another 1.5ft cable from bottom to yellow splitter.
Chains through another 1.5ft cable to extractor.
Then another ~10ft cable to the TV.

Full imgur post https://imgur.com/a/gWIEyvu

copy wrote:I thought I did address your question by mentioning that I tested different cables. Yes, I did swap the cables around. All of them enabled 4K@60Hz straight to the TV. None did through the switch.
Hopefully I'm not coming off as an ass here. But I'm trying to be as specific as possible to identify potential sources of failure.
copy wrote:

Doesn't work:
Player->Switch->TV
Player->Switch->AVR->TV

Does work:
Player->TV
Player->AVR->TV

With the statement you made. You identify quite a few variables that I'm sure you've resolved in your head. But hadn't resolved in text on the thread.
Given that you've said Player->TV works and Player->AVR->TV works. It's safe to assume that Player, AVR, and TV are working. But there's a bit of hidden subtext between the lines that I'm trying to address. The cables, which don't yet have names. To name the cables, I'll also need to name the routes, the reasons will become clear later.

First the routes as numbers:
Player->[1]->Switch->[2]->TV
Player->[1]->Switch->[3]->AVR->[4]->TV
Player->[5]->TV
Player->[6]->AVR->[4]->TV

There, are 6 unique routes that I can see.

Now for cables as letters.
Route 1:A
Route 2 (6 foot cable):B
Route 2 (10 foot cable):C
Route 3:D
Route 4:E
Route 5:F
Route 6:G
7 potential cables. I'm sure there's some overlap, but my point is that the overlap is unclear from the text.

We define route 5 as working. So cable F is definitely a working cables.
It's *probable* that route 4 and 6 are the same signal as route 5. But not for certain. It's possible that your AVR fixes a timing issue. So I'd like to eliminate it as a variable.

So we're left with routes:
Player->[1]->Switch->[2]->TV
Player->[5]->TV

And 1 cable that we know *for sure* is good. F
So to verify for certain that another cable is known working. We have to swap it into route 5. And verify that works. Lets call this second tested cable H. I'm assuming you tried this with cable B or C. But it's unclear.

So now we can *only* use F & H for routes 1 & 2 to have a valid test. That's where I got hung up. There's not enough data to say if any cable other than F was ever verified on route 5. And there's not enough data to identify which cables A-H are the same cable.

Once again, not trying to be an ass. I'm just trying to be very specific because we're operating at the edge of working tech here. Precision matters.
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

Only thing I noticed with my ViewHD 4x1 switch is that it didn't like the PS3. If it detected it would be fine, but if switching to another it wouldn't come back/resolution changes. Disabling 1080p/super white seems to have fixed it. I re-enabled 1080p and it seems fine now.
Jdurg

Post by Jdurg »

Thank you for putting this list together. Back in November I upgraded pretty much all of my equipment and it's working great thanks to this thread. The Auto Switch is fantastic and I only wish it had more than 4 ports on it. I have two linked together but need to work on my wiring order so it will show television broadcast by default, but switch over to other devices when I turn them on.

A question; what is the input priority in these switches? Is input 1 the higher priority, or is input 4 the higher priority? What I mean is, if I have two 4x1's daisy chained, if I put my Cable TV signal into Input 1 on Switch 2, then have Switch 2 plugged into Input 1 on Switch 1 (Which goes out to my TV), will the Cable TV Signal be the default device in there, and if I turn on another device it will automatically switch over?

When I first set this up I had to put my N64 on a certain input since it wouldn't work otherwise (Could have been due to faulty cabling though as at that point I was only using whatever HDMI cables I had lying around). I just want to make sure I have the priority of the inputs correct for when I am re-wiring stuff in the coming weeks. (Adding a Gamecube to my mix of devices (PC/PS3/Switch/NES/OSSC/TV/N64) so will be readjusting the setup).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Jdurg wrote:A question; what is the input priority in these switches? Is input 1 the higher priority, or is input 4 the higher priority? What I mean is, if I have two 4x1's daisy chained, if I put my Cable TV signal into Input 1 on Switch 2, then have Switch 2 plugged into Input 1 on Switch 1 (Which goes out to my TV), will the Cable TV Signal be the default device in there, and if I turn on another device it will automatically switch over?
I believe it was mentioned (either in this thread or in the documentation for the switcher) that lower numbers have higher priority, and that problematic devices (hello, always-on Roku Express+) should be connected to port 4.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

nmalinoski wrote:
Jdurg wrote:A question; what is the input priority in these switches? Is input 1 the higher priority, or is input 4 the higher priority? What I mean is, if I have two 4x1's daisy chained, if I put my Cable TV signal into Input 1 on Switch 2, then have Switch 2 plugged into Input 1 on Switch 1 (Which goes out to my TV), will the Cable TV Signal be the default device in there, and if I turn on another device it will automatically switch over?
I believe it was mentioned (either in this thread or in the documentation for the switcher) that lower numbers have higher priority, and that problematic devices (hello, always-on Roku Express+) should be connected to port 4.
That's been my finding. I daisy chain 3 of them together and always use port 4 of the parent switch to avoid issues. With my always-on OSSC hooked up to port 4 of the final switch.
Jdurg

Post by Jdurg »

Figured I'd add in to this thread as well with another very good, and inexpensive, 4k60 HDMI Auto-Switcher.

I recently picked up the KNIVIO 550BN auto switcher from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CR ... UTF8&psc=1

I have always had great success with their line of switchers, and was happy to see the come out with inexpensive, but solid quality, 4k60 capable switchers. It's a 5 input/one output switcher that I now use in my setup. For some reason, no matter what I did and how I chained them together, using two of the 4k Prosumer switchers recommended in this thread just didn't work. It would auto-switch to the recently turned on device, but would never switch back when done. So something was up only when I had two chained together.

I replaced one of those switchers with the KNIVIO and now everything works perfectly. Instant switching, then instant switching back. So the Prosumer now sits as the main device in my chain since I need to take advantage of the audio breakout capabilities. Thanks again for putting this thread together and helping me get all 9 of my HDMI devices into the 1 input on my TV without any issues.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Interesting. Many people are definitely interested in expanded port count. Have you had a chance to run a gamut of compatibility tests?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Also, a small note on lag.

I have a plan to test lag where I verify that the recommended splitter either doesn't add lag or adds the same amount for both outputs. Then I can run both outputs through an independent set of HDMI->VGA adapters, into a Kenzei to sync combine RGBHV to RGBS. Then I can display the 240p test suite on 2 CRT's I have.

At that point I can swap different configurations into one of the splitter ports while keeping the other as a control.

This whole plan is still waiting on a second Kenzei unit I ordered back in December and still hasn't even shipped :(

Once that comes in I'll be able to provide lag numbers. I realize I can probably come up with some slightly fuzzier testing that doesn't require a second kenzei. But I want bulletproof data so I don't have to run the tests twice.
Jdurg

Post by Jdurg »

DirkSwizzler wrote:Interesting. Many people are definitely interested in expanded port count. Have you had a chance to run a gamut of compatibility tests?
Was kind of hooking everything up during my lunch break at work so I couldn't give a full, intense test-session but I was able to confirm that my SNES via OSSC worked great at 5x without any issues, my UltraHDMI N64 had zero problems, the Nintendo Switch worked great, the HiDefNES modded NES worked great, my Gamecube worked great, I had zero issues at all. A very solid product.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Jdurg wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:Interesting. Many people are definitely interested in expanded port count. Have you had a chance to run a gamut of compatibility tests?
Was kind of hooking everything up during my lunch break at work so I couldn't give a full, intense test-session but I was able to confirm that my SNES via OSSC worked great at 5x without any issues, my UltraHDMI N64 had zero problems, the Nintendo Switch worked great, the HiDefNES modded NES worked great, my Gamecube worked great, I had zero issues at all. A very solid product.
I'm probably being a wet blanket, but the UltraHDMI, Switch, HiDef NES, and GCVideo products all have very standard, stable output, so, at least for me, the expectation is that these would all work fine on even a moderately crappy switcher. The UltraHDMI, for example, does framerate conversion to get a solid 60Hz output; and the HiDef NES underclocks the processor to hit the same target.

Anything you have to run through the OSSC, like RGB-modified NES/SNES, Amstrad, and so on, would be a much better validation of compatibility and flexibility, because the source framerate and dimensions can/will be all over the place.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

I agree. I'm not trying to attack at all. But I believe we're really starved on concrete testing data for most HDMI devices.

I can't really get behind a device before I know it handles my common failure cases. NESRGB and Genesis at every OSSC multiplication and every variant of 5x. As well as PS4 Pro 4K60 RGB and 4K60 HDR.

I understand I'm a bit extra-niche with the 4k requirements. But if Jdurg can run a wider range of OSSC tests, I might pick one up to do more testing.
Jdurg

Post by Jdurg »

As soon as I get a chance I will give it a much more thorough testing. So far, I haven't had any issues with my SNES through all resolutions. I did perform a de-jitter mod on my SNES, however, in case that changes things.

I don't know when i'm going to get the chance to test everything out fully, but once I can I will provide some updates here. It's the least I can do after all your other recommendations came out so great.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Does anyone have recommendations for embedding digital audio into an hdmi signal? I recently got one of those 7:1 automatic toslink switches from tindie and have cobbled together a piecemeal toslink setup for xbox and ps2 that automatically falls back to analog stereo coming out of my gscartsw 3.4

I tried gofanco Prophecy 4K 60Hz HDMI Audio Extractor & Embedder via S/PDIF Toslink + 3.5 MM Stereo, 4K 60Hz YUV 4:4:4, HDR, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2, 18Gbps, ARC, CEC, Audio Extraction & Embedded and it doesn't quite work as well as I expected. It mostly gets the job done but I wouldn't recommend it. Seems to have a few video incompatibilities with the OSSC. Occassionally drops frames. As well as the truly bizarre failure of showing video but silent audio for OSSC 5X 1080p. Whereas 5X 1600x1200 passes audio fine.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Looks like that Vorke HD41Pro, as previously linked, is no longer available; however, there is what appears to be the same exact kit from another seller (BenRong-US; I wonder if that's intentional) on Amazon for a bit less ($36 USD versus $43).
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Interesting. It does appear to be exactly the same. I wonder why it's a new listing instead of adding BenRong as a seller to the existing listing.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

DirkSwizzler wrote:Does anyone have recommendations for embedding digital audio into an hdmi signal? I recently got one of those 7:1 automatic toslink switches from tindie and have cobbled together a piecemeal toslink setup for xbox and ps2 that automatically falls back to analog stereo coming out of my gscartsw 3.4

I tried gofanco Prophecy 4K 60Hz HDMI Audio Extractor & Embedder via S/PDIF Toslink + 3.5 MM Stereo, 4K 60Hz YUV 4:4:4, HDR, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2, 18Gbps, ARC, CEC, Audio Extraction & Embedded and it doesn't quite work as well as I expected. It mostly gets the job done but I wouldn't recommend it. Seems to have a few video incompatibilities with the OSSC. Occassionally drops frames. As well as the truly bizarre failure of showing video but silent audio for OSSC 5X 1080p. Whereas 5X 1600x1200 passes audio fine.
Apologies for being off topic again (not 4k), but I'll share what works with my OSSC.

I use Kramer FC-49 behind a OSSC v1 to embed stereo audio into HDMI 1.3.

It's not 4k and it only does stereo, but it works with everything I've tried.
We apologise for the inconvenience