I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ldeveraux

Re: I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

Post by ldeveraux »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
ldeveraux wrote: I'm using this cheap $15 cable because it was the only thing that would wake the monitor from LPM. I tried a Portta and host of other solutions and they either produced no video, or wouldn't wake the monitor when I moved the mouse. We'll see how this adapter works first.
I'm assuming your terminology of waking from LPM (low power mode?) is saying that you never get signal over 15ft hdmi.

If so, that fits the reasoning for the DAC of your $15 cable being on the hdmi side. It's actually somewhat challenging to transmit high bandwidth digital hdmi over 15ft. Whereas analog will just "gracefully" lose quality.

You can definitely find solutions to cover 15ft over hdmi. But that's a bit more of a crapshoot. So you might have already formulated the best plan by breaking out audio and using 15ft of analog.

If you want to go HDMI over the 15ft run. I've had reasonable luck with securomax cables on Amazon. But I've only gone up to 10 feet on those. Maybe a 10&6 with a repeater in the middle?

The longest run I ever tried to get working was 25ft and that was a pain in the butt to keep working before I switched to displayport for that run.
I figured out why it wouldn't wake the last time I tried the Ugreen HDMI-VGA adapter. I had it powered off the USB port on the TV, which probably doesn't actually provide power when the TV is off or LPM. The second I plugged into an always on port it came alive. So I took your suggestion and spanned a 3ft HDMI cable from the KVM to the Ugreen to the DSUB on the TV. I'm pretty sure everything is working great now as far as the waking goes. I'll have to test more, but I don't have audio interference from the cables either.

I know you say HDMI is voodoo, but do you have a brand of cable you recommend? I have a bunch that I bough tin bulk, and others that came with devices, so who knows about the quality...
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

ldeveraux wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:If you want to go HDMI over the 15ft run. I've had reasonable luck with securomax cables on Amazon.
I know you say HDMI is voodoo, but do you have a brand of cable you recommend? I have a bunch that I bough tin bulk, and others that came with devices, so who knows about the quality...
When I need cables. I usually buy SecurOMax on Amazon. I haven't explored the cable space nearly as thoroughly as I've explored the device space. And I definitely haven't done anything that could be confused with science to determine quality. So it's less of a recommendation, and more of a "worked for me" scenario. And I should mention that I've had some that stop working with 18Gbps 4K signals. Presumably because I fiddle with my setup quite a bit and they get flexed and bent a lot.

I especially love their 1.5ft cables for interconnects. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CRA9GU0 .
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:If you want to go HDMI over the 15ft run. I've had reasonable luck with securomax cables on Amazon.
When I need cables. I usually buy SecurOMax on Amazon. I haven't explored the cable space nearly as thoroughly as I've explored the device space. And I definitely haven't done anything that could be confused with science to determine quality. So it's less of a recommendation, and more of a "worked for me" scenario. And I should mention that I've had some that stop working with 18Gbps 4K signals. Presumably because I fiddle with my setup quite a bit and they get flexed and bent a lot.

I especially love their 1.5ft cables for interconnects. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CRA9GU0 .
Thanks again for your help with this! The audio interference is gone after playing around with this for a bit. I guess I should have assumed a cheap cable wouldn't be of the highest quality...
Ruxton

Post by Ruxton »

I've got a Dynalink re-branded Vorke HD41Pro - https://www.altronics.com.au/p/a3082-dy ... and-rs232/

Unfortunately whenever i turn the PS4 pro on, it passes CEC fine and switches everything correctly but the video never comes on. I always have to power the unit off and on and then the video displays :/

Anyone experienced anything similar?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Ruxton wrote:I've got a Dynalink re-branded Vorke HD41Pro - https://www.altronics.com.au/p/a3082-dy ... and-rs232/

Unfortunately whenever i turn the PS4 pro on, it passes CEC fine and switches everything correctly but the video never comes on. I always have to power the unit off and on and then the video displays :/

The PS4 Pro does tend to present problems more than other consoles. But I've had good luck with my setup as described.

It's possible that there's a problem on the sink side. I'd be curious if you get different behaviors going from the Dynalink to a different monitor.
I'd also try different video modes on the ps4 to see if there's a pattern there.

Also, the link you provided shows the unit as $215. That's a bit shocking. High enough that it makes me curious if it's got different guts.
Ruxton

Post by Ruxton »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
Ruxton wrote:I've got a Dynalink re-branded Vorke HD41Pro - https://www.altronics.com.au/p/a3082-dy ... and-rs232/

The PS4 Pro does tend to present problems more than other consoles. But I've had good luck with my setup as described.

It's possible that there's a problem on the sink side. I'd be curious if you get different behaviors going from the Dynalink to a different monitor.
I'd also try different video modes on the ps4 to see if there's a pattern there.

Also, the link you provided shows the unit as $215. That's a bit shocking. High enough that it makes me curious if it's got different guts.
Pretty sure it's the same guts, I'll post a pic of it when I get home. Re: price, just all the import taxes and local shop markup adding up (their markup must be hardcore on these to cover OEMing them for just AU/NZ though)
Ruxton

Post by Ruxton »

Ruxton wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:

Pretty sure it's the same guts, I'll post a pic of it when I get home. Re: price, just all the import taxes and local shop markup adding up (their markup must be hardcore on these to cover OEMing them for just AU/NZ though)
Yep, same same. Image

I have an older one too.
Ruxton

Post by Ruxton »

I also came across https://github.com/fenderle/esphome-vorke-hd41 the other week, which I thought was a cool mod. So I'll take that for a run sometime soon. I've also ordered some CC2530's to attempt the same thing but on Zigbee.

Anyway, I e-mailed fenderle, because I noticed he was on the newer firmware version. He too had issues flashing the new firmware like everyone here. He ended up getting another unit, backing up that firmware with an ST-Link and restoring that to the broken one. Then doing the loop of flashing, trying, restoring if it was broken until it worked. It eventually worked and he backed the working upgrade up with the ST-Link and restored that to the other. So I bought an STM32 programmer.

So you CAN flash the firmware, it MAY work, maybe. But just get an STM32 programmer like an ST-Link to take a backup first, and make sure you can restore it. You can't use the websites updated firmware via the STM32 programmer. But you can restore a backup you make. Who else is game? :P
lechu

Post by lechu »

Has anyone tried this splitter: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HR1WD4S/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

Specs look good (claims 4K60, 18Gbps, and HDR). It's something I'd like for wiring all my consoles for different output scenarios (straight output, Mclassic, and OSSC Pro when that comes out)
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

lechu wrote:Has anyone tried this splitter: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HR1WD4S/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

Specs look good (claims 4K60, 18Gbps, and HDR). It's something I'd like for wiring all my consoles for different output scenarios (straight output, Mclassic, and OSSC Pro when that comes out)
I have not. According to amazon, I bought HDMI Splitter 1 in 4 Out 18Gbps 4K@60Hz HDR10 by J-Tech Digital HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2.2 Compliant with Smart EDID Control, Supports 3D and VESA Video formats [JTECH-4KSP14] which has a similar physical layout. But I can't find any notes for it. So I'm assuming it's unimpressive compared to the ViewHD UHD1X2 or the gofanco on the first page. But I can't confirm that at the moment without notes.

Usually splitter specs look great but fail the further away you get from 1080p stereo. I'm not setup to thoroughly test the J-Tech above right this minute. But if I find time in the next week I'll be sure to post notes.

And obviously, if you get really good results from the orei. I'd love to hear it. The UHD1X2 is the most reliable splitter I have, but I want more ports.
onefatsurfer

Post by onefatsurfer »

Hey, this is slightly off topic, but I have a friend with a QN65Q7F and he's looking to get his n64 working on it. Do you know if it supports 240p directly either by hdmi or component video? If so I'll probably suggest he get a RAD2x or HD Retrovision cables and I'll rgb mod his system. He lives pretty far away from me otherwise I would just bring him my HD retrovision cables to try it out with.

Thanks!
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

onefatsurfer wrote:Hey, this is slightly off topic, but I have a friend with a QN65Q7F and he's looking to get his n64 working on it. Do you know if it supports 240p directly either by hdmi or component video? If so I'll probably suggest he get a RAD2x or HD Retrovision cables and I'll rgb mod his system. He lives pretty far away from me otherwise I would just bring him my HD retrovision cables to try it out with.

Thanks!
I've been able to display 240p through an OSSC just fine. All the inputs are HDMI. So direct component isn't available.
onefatsurfer

Post by onefatsurfer »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
onefatsurfer wrote:Hey, this is slightly off topic, but I have a friend with a QN65Q7F and he's looking to get his n64 working on it. Do you know if it supports 240p directly either by hdmi or component video? If so I'll probably suggest he get a RAD2x or HD Retrovision cables and I'll rgb mod his system. He lives pretty far away from me otherwise I would just bring him my HD retrovision cables to try it out with.

Thanks!
I've been able to display 240p through an OSSC just fine. All the inputs are HDMI. So direct component isn't available.
Thanks for getting back to me. I'll probably recommend the Rad2x in that case, hopefully it will work for him.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Are there any new 4k HDMI Switch recommendations since all the ones recommend in the OP aren't available any more. I'm looking for something that will for sure work with my PS4 Pro, and an Xbox One X.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Johnpv wrote:Are there any new 4k HDMI Switch recommendations since all the ones recommend in the OP aren't available any more. I'm looking for something that will for sure work with my PS4 Pro, and an Xbox One X.
You could take a gamble still on the SGEYR for $36!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:
Johnpv wrote:Are there any new 4k HDMI Switch recommendations since all the ones recommend in the OP aren't available any more. I'm looking for something that will for sure work with my PS4 Pro, and an Xbox One X.
I've used both the 4K30 (briefly, since I ordered it by mistake) and the 4K60 5x1 SGEYR switches with my OSSC without issue. They automatically switch to newly-connected sources, and fall back to the next sequential input that's connected.

Do note that, if you use more than one console that doesn't disconnect its 5V line, like the Xbox One or Switch in their standby modes, rather than fully turning them off, you will need to manually switch between the two, because they will always be detected as connected.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
I've used both the 4K30 (briefly, since I ordered it by mistake) and the 4K60 5x1 SGEYR switches with my OSSC without issue. They automatically switch to newly-connected sources, and fall back to the next sequential input that's connected.

Do note that, if you use more than one console that doesn't disconnect its 5V line, like the Xbox One or Switch in their standby modes, rather than fully turning them off, you will need to manually switch between the two, because they will always be detected as connected.
The SGEYR units are great unless you need 4K to work AND leave the unit powered 24/7.

After about a week of being powered on it seems to lose its ability to handle 4K until it's power cycled. Happened to me and another user on this thread.

But, as long as you don't need 4K, or power it down frequently. It's great.

I use two of them in my setup. One for 4K60. And end up just leaving their power unplugged to ensure they power cycle when no inputs are active.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Yeah that is not going to work in my set up. It definitely needs to be able to handle 4k60 and be left plugged in and on. Once it would go into place getting to it and unplugging it or plugging it in on the regular would be a royal pain in the ass.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Johnpv wrote:Yeah that is not going to work in my set up. It definitely needs to be able to handle 4k60 and be left plugged in and on. Once it would go into place getting to it and unplugging it or plugging it in on the regular would be a royal pain in the ass.
So you need a manual switch, not automatic
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:
Johnpv wrote:Yeah that is not going to work in my set up. It definitely needs to be able to handle 4k60 and be left plugged in and on. Once it would go into place getting to it and unplugging it or plugging it in on the regular would be a royal pain in the ass.
So you need a manual switch, not automatic
It sounds like it would be tucked away, so automatic that behaves, or manual with a remote.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

You don't plan on leaving the Xbox and PS4 both on (outputting video) 24/7 do you? I read it you wanted them switchable when you have each active, then when you put it to sleep can select the other. I don't understand why you'd want to leave the console outputting all the time. If they are sleeping, the 4k auto switch will work.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:
You don't plan on leaving the Xbox and PS4 both on (outputting video) 24/7 do you? I read it you wanted them switchable when you have each active, then when you put it to sleep can select the other. I don't understand why you'd want to leave the console outputting all the time. If they are sleeping, the 4k auto switch will work.
At least where the Xbox One and Switch are concerned (I haven't tested with my PS4 Slim or Xbox One S), it's not that the consoles are left on and outputting video 24/7--the standby modes don't shut off enough of the video output for an automatic switch to register it as disconnected/off (no video, but still connecting 5V, for example); so you would have to either disable standby or force a full shutdown (and thus wait for a cold boot) every time in order to get the HDMI switch to work as intended.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
At least where the Xbox One and Switch are concerned (I haven't tested with my PS4 Slim or Xbox One S), it's not that the consoles are left on and outputting video 24/7--the standby modes don't shut off enough of the video output for an automatic switch to register it as disconnected/off (no video, but still connecting 5V, for example); so you would have to either disable standby or force a full shutdown (and thus wait for a cold boot) every time in order to get the HDMI switch to work as intended.
Oh that's terrible, I didn't realize. Looks like a manual switch is definitely in order then!
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

ldeveraux wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote: You don't plan on leaving the Xbox and PS4 both on (outputting video) 24/7 do you? I read it you wanted them switchable when you have each active, then when you put it to sleep can select the other. I don't understand why you'd want to leave the console outputting all the time. If they are sleeping, the 4k auto switch will work.
Oh that's terrible, I didn't realize. Looks like a manual switch is definitely in order then!
For the Switch. I've found that the dock itself is responsible for the 5V problem in standby. The official dock is will behaved when you tell the switch to sleep.

For the other consoles. I always go full shutdown anyway because I turn off my entire gaming rack when not in use. So I can confirm that all the consoles *do* support autoswitching if you go full shutdown.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DirkSwizzler wrote:For the Switch. I've found that the dock itself is responsible for the 5V problem in standby. The official dock is will behaved when you tell the switch to sleep.
This is probably my problem; I'm currently using one of my SGEYR switchers with a Jumpgate dock (and a first-gen Xbox One and a Steam Link).

Edit: Confirmed. The Nintendo dock the Switch came with does behave properly (turns off 5V or whatever is keeping the HDMI input active), whereas the Jumpgate does not behave properly. I've pinged Skull & Co. to see if they're willing to address it with a firmware update.
subzero

Post by subzero »

DirkSwizzler wrote:This data is current as of February 5, 2020

Splitter: If you only need 2 ports. ViewHD Ultra HD | HDMI 2.0 | HDCP 2.2 | 4K@60Hz | 1x2 Splitter | One Input to Two Outputs | Support HDR and Dolby Vision | Model: UHD1X2 has been extremely reliable for me.
Thanks a lot for putting this list out and updating it! I'm interested in a 1x2 splitter and I can't find the ViewHD 1x2 splitter that you recommend in stock on amazon.com (UHD1X2).
I was wondering about UHD1X2S or JTECH-4KSP2...
I have concerns for both of them: one has automatic downscaling (which I am not sure it is a good thing) while the other has a switch for it but doesn't have an EDID switch.
Let me know if you have tested any of them or can test them and what do you think of these concerns.
TheSwartz

Post by TheSwartz »

I just found this thread; very good info. Lots of post, still reading through, but I wanted to post some experience I have with my current HDMI switch. It's not perfect, but weighing pros and cons, I'm happy enough so far. If something better came along, I'd love to check it out.

I just got a TESmart HSW1601A1U; which is a 16x1 4K60 switch.

This replaced a Monoprice Blackbird HRM-2218F, which I loved, but is only 8x1 and up to 1080p (and is now out of stock BTW). I really hope Monoprice releases a 16x1 switch like this.. it worked absolutely perfect for me.

Main complaints are:
1. This only powers on/off with a physical switch - so either you leave it on all the time (see issue #2) or get up and turn it on (which defeats the purpose of a fully automated set up)
2. The light is ungodly bright (LED and the Display). I have some LightDIMS ordered hoping to get this down to a tolerable level of brightness
3. The auto-switching doesn't kick on sometimes requiring me to get up and manually fiddle with things, turn everything off/on, etc. But I'm holding out hope that I just need to tinker with how I have things arranged; I 'think' I'm only having an issue with one device consistently with this issue. (docked Nintendo Switch from sleep mode)
4. My Xbox One X seems to take over anything else plugged in when it is in standby mode. However, this is fixed by totally powering down, or.... I'm just gonna take the Xbox One X out in a couple days when I have an Xbox Series X (which I will be plugging that directly into my receiver)
5. I had to manually learn commands from the remote to my Logitech Harmony Elite... and that has been buggy (i.e. it simply stopped working and I had to re-learn again), but again I'm hoping I just need to tinker with it some more, and may be an issue with my remote and not this device?
6. It uses a weird combination of buttons to select inputs. It has numbers 0-9. So select "4" for input 4... however you would select "1" then "4" for input 14.

Slowly I'm testing as much as I can, positive experiences so far:
1. The biggest pro, obviously, is the 16 inputs (see below, I'm using almost every one of them)
2. Only $200, or less, on eBay and Amazon - mine was shipped from China in about 10 days
3. Every one of these devices displays at the max resolution I've tested so far (i.e up to the 4K 60 with HDR on the PS4 or Xbox)
4. So far I'm not noticing any problems with various combinations of analog signals through the OSSC into this, so 240p, 480i have been OK. I've tried a few different combinations of scaling. I believe I'm passing through all 480p; not sure I've tested anything 720p, but that should pass through as well.
5. Between the direct IR input, ethernet, and RS232 input - there are some options to overcome any problems with the auto-switching -- long story, but if you use a controller (i.e. something from Control4) or a complicated universal remote setup, then you may see where I'm going with this.
6. This fits a 1U space in an AV rack
7. There is an audible "beep" you can toggle on or off when it's switching. I can't decide which way I like better, but I'm glad it's an option
8. From any one device to the TV, there is 60-75' of HDMI cabling. I have not had a single problem with that distance using the cables I use (up to 4K60 4.4.4 with HDR). And this switch is very early in that chain, so no problems in regards to loss of signal in this switch that I can determine.

Set up:
LG OLEDCX77
- Denon AVR-X8500H
- - TESmart HSW1601A1U
- - - 1. NES Classic via HDMI (placeholder for future Analogue Nt)
- - - 2. SNES Classic via HDMI (placeholder for future Analogue Super Nt)
- - - 3. Nintendo Wii-U via HDMI
- - - 4. Nintendo Switch via HDMI
- - - 5. Sony PlayStation 3 via HDMI
- - - 6. Sony PlayStation TV via HDMI
- - - 7. Sony PlayStation 4 Pro via HDMI (unused since it is plugged into the PSVR)
- - - 8. Sony PSVR v2 via HDMI
- - - 9. Microsoft Xbox 360 via HDMI
- - - 10. Microsoft Xbox One X via HDMI
- - - 11. Analogue MegaSG via HDMI
- - - 12. TurboGrafx-16 mini via HDMI (placeholder for future Analogue Duo)
- - - 13. Unlucky number - unused
- - - 14. Atari Flashback X Deluxe via HDMI
- - - 15. Unused
- - - 16. OSSC via HDMI
- - - - GSCARTSW
- - - - - Sony PlayStation via RGB SCART
- - - - - Sony PlayStation 2 via RGB SCART
- - - - - SEGA Saturn via RGB SCART
- - - - - Sega Dreamcast via VGA or RGB SCART (still experimenting with what is best?)
- - - - GCOMPSW
- - - - - Nintendo GameCube via YPbPr Component
- - - - - Nintendo Wii via YPbPr Component
- - - - - Microsoft Xbox via YPbPr Component

This is almost embarrassing to share, but I did make a video showing off some of my experience setting this up.

I hope something in this helps someone :)
Last edited by TheSwartz on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I probably spend more time collecting games and tinkering with my consoles than actually playing them...
TheSwartz

Post by TheSwartz »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

I cannot claim that my experience translates to a positive experience for everyone, but I have had excellent results using Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cables. Overall, I think I've used 30 or so (of varying lengths) from this line. One caveat, I have not used that 30' cable they make, but see my examples below. Buying those 3 packs of 6' are a great deal. These are also sold on Amazon (which shipping has been a little quicker for me than directly from Monoprice).

For example, my 'worst case scenario'

PS4 pro -- 15' --> PSVR break out box -- 10' --> HDMI Switch -- 25' --> Receiver -- 25' --> TV

For a combined total of 75'. With this, I've had no problems playing games in 4K with HDR.

Alternatively:

Xbox One X -- 10' --> HDMI Switch -- 25' --> Receiver -- 25' --> TV

For a combined total of 60'. With this, I've had no problems with 4K with HDR.

These cables are thick (in a good way, actually good wiring inside, not just a thick jacket). So, they are reasonably durable: I've pulled the full 25' of 4 of these cables through walls to get from my receiver to the TV. Yet, they are attractive cables too. Simple, but relatively attractive (my other 25' is exposed, so I have to look at them!). And, in a rack, it looks nice to have all the cables look uniform.

One more suggestion. For very short runs (1', 1.5', 2', 3', 6', 8'), Monoprice also has reasonably priced 48 Gbps cables. I've been buying those, just to kinda future proof my growing collection (pile) of HDMI cables. But obviously entirely not necessary for retro-gaming consoles..
I probably spend more time collecting games and tinkering with my consoles than actually playing them...
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

TheSwartz wrote:Main complaints are:
4. My Xbox One X seems to take over anything else plugged in when it is in standby mode. However, this is fixed by totally powering down, or.... I'm just gonna take the Xbox One X out in a couple days when I have an Xbox Series X (which I will be plugging that directly into my receiver)
This has been my experience with a regular Xbox One. I believe the problem is that the Xbox consoles do not cut 5V output over HDMI when in standby/quick-resume/whatever; since that is what I believe these automatic switchers are looking for, the Xbox appears to the switcher to always be powered on, even when it logically isn't to you or me.
TheSwartz wrote:- - - 8. Sony PSVR v2 via HDMI
The PSVR is a display, so am I correct that this is the HDMI passthrough? If so, I think you shouldn't need more than one for the combined PS4+PSVR; but that could very well just be your personal preference.
TheSwartz

Post by TheSwartz »

nmalinoski wrote: ...
TheSwartz wrote:- - - 8. Sony PSVR v2 via HDMI
The PSVR is a display, so am I correct that this is the HDMI passthrough? If so, I think you shouldn't need more than one for the combined PS4+PSVR; but that could very well just be your personal preference.
You are correct.

I don’t have both plugged in at the same time. But I have HDMI cables from the switch running to both devices, because they’re located separately, and I have experimented with and without leaving the PS4 plugged into the break out box all the time.

For me, the PSVR cable is too short to reach my couch from the rack that everything is in. What I’ve done is set that breakout box about 8 feet closer so the headset has more slack. I haven’t had any problems just leaving it all connected, so that’s how the PS4 is set up now. So, one cable is just left behind, going to that level in my rack where the PS4 is, because I’m too lazy to take it back out (I tell myself it will be easier if I need to plug something in the future!)