I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ldeveraux

Re: I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

Post by ldeveraux »

strygo wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
strygo wrote:Are none from the original post available at all anymore? Or were those only 60hz@4k ?
All of those are 60hz. There is another 2x1 120hz on Amazon, but the reviews for it are quite negative. (Plus it’s only 2x1)

I had gotten the J-Tech 4x1 recently and it had been working reasonably well. Last night, Disney+ on an Apple TV prevented movie playback until I removed it from the chain.
Oh yikes. Looks like @DirkSwizzler needs to repeat this whole process! [WINKING FACE]
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

ldeveraux wrote:Oh yikes. Looks like @DirkSwizzler needs to repeat this whole process! [WINKING FACE]
Hard no.

I was hoping to transcribe this quickly aging data to Bob's wiki like 2 years ago then try my best to wash my hands of any HDMI testing.
That.... didn't happen.

In my latest setup. I've built around 4k/120 support. So far it's just a HDFury VRROOM with a daisy chained HDFury Vertex 2 set to TMDS switching.
I'm really hoping the HDFury team delivers on TMDS style switching for the new signal standard (FRL?) soon. Because the XBox Series X doesn't cut 5V to the HDMI port unless you go a few menu levels deep to do a "Full Shutdown" every time. So annoying.

The TMDS switching of the Vertex 2 seems to handle always-on sources alright as long as they have a sleep mode that stops video transmission.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:Oh yikes. Looks like @DirkSwizzler needs to repeat this whole process! [WINKING FACE]
Hard no.

I was hoping to transcribe this quickly aging data to Bob's wiki like 2 years ago then try my best to wash my hands of any HDMI testing.
That.... didn't happen.

In my latest setup. I've built around 4k/120 support. So far it's just a HDFury VRROOM with a daisy chained HDFury Vertex 2 set to TMDS switching.
I'm really hoping the HDFury team delivers on TMDS style switching for the new signal standard (FRL?) soon. Because the XBox Series X doesn't cut 5V to the HDMI port unless you go a few menu levels deep to do a "Full Shutdown" every time. So annoying.

The TMDS switching of the Vertex 2 seems to handle always-on sources alright as long as they have a sleep mode that stops video transmission.
Haha i was mostly joking. Mostly. Those HDFury devices are good from what i hear, but aren't they prohibitively expensive?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

They are crazy expensive. But they also seem to at least care what I want from an hdmi switch.

I've spent more in total on basic switches/splitters that failed at even baseline functionality.

The TMDS switching means a lot to me. An additional output that can downscale means a lot to me. The audio only output means a lot to me.

And as far as I know. The VRROOM is the only 4K/120 automatic switch on the market. A feature that means a lot to me.

Expensive. But they work except for an edge case or two.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

DirkSwizzler wrote:They are crazy expensive. But they also seem to at least care what I want from an hdmi switch.

I've spent more in total on basic switches/splitters that failed at even baseline functionality.

The TMDS switching means a lot to me. An additional output that can downscale means a lot to me. The audio only output means a lot to me.

And as far as I know. The VRROOM is the only 4K/120 automatic switch on the market. A feature that means a lot to me.

Expensive. But they work except for an edge case or two.
That VRROOM costs as much as a PS5! I certainly can't justify that.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Anybody getting weird CEC/ARC behavior with their Vorke HD41 Pro or ViewHD Prosumer 4K HDMI 4x1 switch? I have the switches plugged into my Denon X3300W AVR, which goes to my TCL 6-Series 4K TV.

When I change the volume on the receiver a get a black screen for a couple seconds! Every time. It's super weird.

ONLY way to make this not happen is to turn off all CEC/ARC stuff on BOTH my AVR and TV (if I only change one or the other it still happens). Bypassing the Vorke/ViewHD and straight to the AVR or TV and it's perfect... (and yes, of course tried different cables too).

This is a funky Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W emulation device... but I've tried a dozen different HDMI settings, blocking/turning-off all CEC functionality and I STILL get that black screen... I will note my Raspberry Pi 4 is fine.... so I have no clue what is up with this.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I don't, but I'm also not using CEC or ARC through the thing. None of the devices connected to the switch have CEC supported or enabled, and ARC has its own port on my TV.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Guspaz wrote:I don't, but I'm also not using CEC or ARC through the thing. None of the devices connected to the switch have CEC supported or enabled, and ARC has its own port on my TV.
The thing is, neither am I. The Pi's (in RetroPie at least) send a command to switch the source to them when they turn on (just as my PS4 and maybe Switch did before I turned it off in their settings), but I've turned that off on the Pi. Also turned off ANY CEC functions on the Pi... yet it still blanks out when I adjust the volume...
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The current devices connected to my LG C1 are:

HDMI 1: PC, HDMI 2.1 4K120 (CEC not supported)
HDMI 2: Sony HT-A9 AVR (eARC, no passthrough device connected, CEC enabled)
HDMI 3: ViewHD/Vorke/Monprice 4x1 HDMI 2.0 switch
HDMI 3A: Nintendo Switch (CEC disabled)
HDMI 3B: Analogue Super Nt (CEC not supported)
HDMI 3C: Analogue Mega Sg (CEC not supported)
HDMI 3D: Nintendo Gamecube (CEC not supported)
HDMI 4: Disconnected

CEC is enabled on the TV but disabled (or not supported) on all devices except the Sony HT-A9, where I use CEC to have it automatically turn on at the same time as the TV as well as control volume. All audio output is via eARC directly to the Sony AVR.

Generally I don't have any issues. I've had the Sony/LG stop communicating over CEC entirely a few times, though usually turning everything off and on again a few times resolves it, and this has only occurred twice over the past several months.
Emerl

Post by Emerl »

Since optical HDMI 2.1 cables are now relatively affordable, I'd like to get a switch that's compatible with 40Gbps+ and VRR so that I can plug my 3080 into one of the slots taken by the PS5 or Xbox Series X. Is that $550 HDFury Switch really the only one that meets those requirements?

My LG CX currently has this set up
1 - PS5
2 - Xbox Series X
3 - SGEYR Switcher
3A - Super NT
3B - Mega SG
3C - NT Mini Noir
3D - Xbox 360
3E - PS3
4 - Panasonic UB820 UHD Blu-Ray player
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

As a new 4k person I'd be curious if anyone has any new updates for this thread since it's been quiet for a year now. For reference I'm still using the Sgeyr 4k@60 switch as recommended back in 2021. Since I don't personally have a lot of 4k feeds, I don't need more than that (it's all getting 1080ish stuff run through it anyway), but I'm curious if anyone's picked up anything new they want to add.
strygo

Post by strygo »

The arrival of the Retrotink 4K finally pushed me to connect all of my HDMI consoles after they had (mostly) been disconnected since my move in 2021. I'm glad that I did, as the Retrotink 4K has so far lived up to the hype and (even in my limited testing) proven to be a game changer for 720p/1080p content from many of these sources.

I have the overall setup mostly working, but I have a few quirks that I'm working through. I'm primarily relying on two TESmart 16x1 switchers. I've been happy so far with this - the beeps were initially annoying but I was happy they could easily be disabled. I've perhaps went a bit overboard connecting my mini consoles, but the RT4K should give them some new life.

The primary quirk I'm dealing with is a handful of systems that seem to constantly advertise signal despite no valid signal being present:

* PS3 + Avedio Splitter (to strip HDCP)
* PSTV + Avedio Splitter (to strip HDCP)
* GBA Consolizer + Monoprice 4K2K Audio Inserter (to handle audio issues)
* Analogue Dock
* Evercade VS
* [Fixed] C64 Mini (advertised CEC constantly, fixed with a cheap dongle)

I'm curious if there is a solution to this issue. In the case of PS3/PSTV, I'd be willing to use a different HDCP stripper, but for the others, I'm not sure if there is an alternate solution. Any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

My setup handles these issues fine. You should figure out how to do it.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Are the Avedio splitters being powered by USB? If so can they work without additional power connected? That might help prevent them being detected as an active source.

Another option might be to just have one Avedio splitter at the end of the chain, after the HDMI switcher. That way it would still strip HDCP from all the sources, but it should no longer be detected as an active source by the HDMI switcher since it will be on the output side.
Last edited by Link83 on Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strygo

Post by strygo »

Link83 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:04 pm Are the Avedio splitters being powered by USB? If so can they work without additional power connected? That might help prevent them being detected as an active source.

Another option might be to just have one Avedio splitter at the end of the chain, after the HDMI switcher. That way it would still strip HDCP from all the sources, but it should no longer be detected as active source by the HDMI switcher since it will be on the output side.
Yeah, they are USB powered. I had seen someone mention powering them from the system itself. I opted not to for the PS3 due to the port placement (they are on the front), but I may try this.

Good point on incorporating it at the end of the chain. I will also experiment with this.

I see now that people are recommending the ezcoo splitters for HDCP stripping - does anyone know their behavior?
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Many HDMI splitters don't actually require external power to function, but it all depends on how much power the source device permits the HDMI port to use. You can just try without the USB power plugged in and see if the splitter still functions when the device is turned on, and if the switcher works correctly afterwards.

I dont know if the Ezcoo behaves any differently to the Avedio in that regard, although the Ezcoo does seem to be another HDCP stripping splitter that was recommended in RetroRGB's video here:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEyoqkJDhEc&t=1302s
The main difference between the two seems to be that the Ezcoo has selectable downscaling instead of automatic downscaling on the Avedio.

MLIG also recommended the Avedio in one of their videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBMfRaF22_I&t=1931s
Although note that the product link in the description seems to take you to the wrong product. The Avedio splitter shown in the video is the 4K@60Hz model, but the link in the video description takes you to the 4K@30Hz model. This should be the correct 4K@60Hz link:-
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XCZC6SP/

I did notice in the recent MLIG Retrotink 4K video Try is now using an Ezcoo 2.1 Splitter (Not the Ezcoo 2.0 model in RetroRGB's video) but said it runs very hot and he has taken it out of its shell (and fitted heatsinks?):-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMkimgEwWXs?t=3181

I would be curious to know how hot the Avedio splitters get during use?
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

Unobtanium these days by the links provided in the first post now :)

Good thing I bought 4k60, 4:4:4, 2.1 hdmi switch before .
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The main recommended HDMI 2.0 switch listed in the first post as the VORKE/ViewHD/J-Tech is still available new today from Monoprice as the Blackbird 39666 for $90 USD. I just bought a second one a month ago. However, since Monoprice is a hellhole with a ridiculously bad checkout system and laughable security (I've had my card stolen from them), I ordered it via NewEgg Canada for $112 CAD ($84 USD) with free shipping and no extra brokerage/import fees. NewEgg isn't exactly a paragon these days either, but they're boyscouts compared to Monoprice, and even if Monoprice is the one actually shipping the order, at least they don't get to see my payment info. And it was way cheaper bought from Monoprice via NewEgg for some reason, like with the free shipping.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Guspaz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:50 pm The main recommended HDMI 2.0 switch listed in the first post as the VORKE/ViewHD/J-Tech is still available new today from Monoprice as the Blackbird 39666 for $90 USD. I just bought a second one a month ago. However, since Monoprice is a hellhole with a ridiculously bad checkout system and laughable security (I've had my card stolen from them), I ordered it via NewEgg Canada for $112 CAD ($84 USD) with free shipping and no extra brokerage/import fees. NewEgg isn't exactly a paragon these days either, but they're boyscouts compared to Monoprice, and even if Monoprice is the one actually shipping the order, at least they don't get to see my payment info. And it was way cheaper bought from Monoprice via NewEgg for some reason, like with the free shipping.
Eek, I bought my 2x Vorke for $23 and $43 when this thread started. I wouldn't say this is a >$100 switch now...
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Yes, the price isn't great. However, I already had one and thus knew that it worked well with my setup, particularly the auto-switching. I've owned many HDMI switches in the past with janky auto-switching, and I didn't want to play the game of buying new HDMI 2.0 switches until I found one that worked well.