I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Renaissance2K

Re: I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

Post by Renaissance2K »

After reading this thread, it appears there’s no universally recommended switcher with more than 5 inputs, and no recommended splitter with more than 4 outputs. Is that right? Does the answer change if the max signal I’ll be using is 1440p60?
I've been using the ViewHD Prosumer that this thread recommends. Other than some issues with DCDigital that may be the console's fault, I haven't had any problems with using it to feed signals to my AverMedia GC573... until I tried the RetroTink 5X's 1440p mode.

The 1440p modes for both the RT5X and the MiSTer seem to throw this switch off, causing signal drops and the like. My hopes and dreams of having a consistent setup without cable swaps is becoming less and less likely.

Anybody else seeing the same issues?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Renaissance2K wrote:
After reading this thread, it appears there’s no universally recommended switcher with more than 5 inputs, and no recommended splitter with more than 4 outputs. Is that right? Does the answer change if the max signal I’ll be using is 1440p60?
I've been using the ViewHD Prosumer that this thread recommends. Other than some issues with DCDigital that may be the console's fault, I haven't had any problems with using it to feed signals to my AverMedia GC573... until I tried the RetroTink 5X's 1440p mode.

The 1440p modes for both the RT5X and the MiSTer seem to throw this switch off, causing signal drops and the like. My hopes and dreams of having a consistent setup without cable swaps is becoming less and less likely.

Anybody else seeing the same issues?
That's good data. I'd also like to hear any anecdotal data people have so I can update the original post if there are more instances. I haven't tested a RT5X at all.

Honestly, as we transition more toward HDMI 2.1 and newer technologies. The existing data in this thread is going to be more and more obsolete. If only we had some sort of wiki to keep a sorted compatibility matrix.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Anyone (Fudoh?) have recommendations for true matrix switches? Even HD-only ones? I'm more interested in something with at least 4 out, and rack mountable is a bonus.

The awful spaghetti mess I need to turn my room into to do any testing needs to end. I need to be able to just pipe signals between multiple devices by punching buttons.

(Latest pet project is running everything through an eeColor LUT box, but that necessitates 720p or 1080i HDMI in and out. Recabling again and again through converters/scalers is driving me bonkers.)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Last we talked about this I was planning on getting an Extron DXP unit. And I did exactly that. I have an Extron DXP 84 HD 4K, which is of course rack-mountable and quite compact for a 8x4 unit at just 1U.

Downside is that the units have a fan (which I did replace with a Noctua), but it remains audible.

This is not a 18gbps unit though, but just a 10gpbs one, but given that the 4K PLUS units are still rather expensive and that I just need it to interconnect between FHD sources and displays, this was OK for me. I think I paid something like $300 last summer.

At my setup it's only running with normalized signals, so I can't really comment on "raw" OSSC compatibility.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Fudoh wrote:Last we talked about this I was planning on getting an Extron DXP unit. And I did exactly that. I have an Extron DXP 84 HD 4K, which is of course rack-mountable and quite compact for a 8x4 unit at just 1U.

Downside is that the units have a fan (which I did replace with a Noctua), but it remains audible.

This is not a 18gbps unit though, but just a 10gpbs one, but given that the 4K PLUS units are still rather expensive and that I just need it to interconnect between FHD sources and displays, this was OK for me. I think I paid something like $300 last summer.

At my setup it's only running with normalized signals, so I can't really comment on "raw" OSSC compatibility.
Yes, I really only need HD sources. I've got an EDGE, and potentially the HD 301 to get signals back to conformity (sold off my OSSC in preparation for the pixelmorph). $300 seems like a steal based on what's currently available on eBay! Guess I'll start watching for deals--thanks!
naz

Post by naz »

Hi, have anyone tried this one: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39666 It has all the correct numbers and is a recent blackbird model.

My main issue is that the manual says "Unplug this device from the power source when not in use", I read in this post that some switches lose sync after a week and they need to be unplug/plug, but mainly on 4k sources like the ps4 pro (that console I could just live it directly to the tv, so maybe a non-issue?). I would really like just to live the switch behind my setup and forget about it (just like my gscart and gcomp switches), what do you think?
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

naz wrote:Hi, have anyone tried this one: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39666 It has all the correct numbers and is a recent blackbird model.

My main issue is that the manual says "Unplug this device from the power source when not in use", I read in this post that some switches lose sync after a week and they need to be unplug/plug, but mainly on 4k sources like the ps4 pro (that console I could just live it directly to the tv, so maybe a non-issue?). I would really like just to live the switch behind my setup and forget about it (just like my gscart and gcomp switches), what do you think?
Likely the same guts as the Vorke/ViewHD/J-Tech one, it looks exactly the same.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
That's good data. I'd also like to hear any anecdotal data people have so I can update the original post if there are more instances. I haven't tested a RT5X at all.

Honestly, as we transition more toward HDMI 2.1 and newer technologies. The existing data in this thread is going to be more and more obsolete. If only we had some sort of wiki to keep a sorted compatibility matrix.
Are there any actual HDMI 2.1 switches (or any other components) available yet?

This current state of all the HDMI 2.1 receivers is ridiculous, but a hdmi 2.1 switch would solve most of my problems.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

djc5166 wrote:Are there any actual HDMI 2.1 switches (or any other components) available yet?
Not that I'm aware of :/
I sure hope the first chip that supports 2.1 is good. Because it's probably going to be the only option for a long time.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Any experience with the TESmart 16x1 switch?

https://www.amazon.ca/TESmart-3840x2160 ... B085S1CR6T

This here is the 4K60 version, there seems to also be a nearly identical looking 4K30 version.

I'm getting a new HDMI 2.1 TV soon, but don't actually have any strong need to switch 2.1, so my thought is, use the TV's three HDMI 2.1 ports for 2.1 devices as required, and then reserve one port for a 2.0 switch for all other devices, so a 16x1 switch seems like it might be a good solution for that.

Alternatively, I wonder if it might make sense to break things up by device type on multiple smaller switches. Like, one input for generic 720p60/1080p60 devices (early HDMI consoles, mini consoles, Analogue products, etc), one input for retro scaling (OSSC, RT5X, etc), one or two inputs for HDMI 2.1, that sort of thing. It's been a very long time since I've owned a TV (I've been using a projector for the last decade or so), so I'm not sure how much setting tweaking needs to be done for different device types.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

Guspaz wrote:Any experience with the TESmart 16x1 switch?

This here is the 4K60 version, there seems to also be a nearly identical looking 4K30 version.

I'm getting a new HDMI 2.1 TV soon, but don't actually have any strong need to switch 2.1, so my thought is, use the TV's three HDMI 2.1 ports for 2.1 devices as required, and then reserve one port for a 2.0 switch for all other devices, so a 16x1 switch seems like it might be a good solution for that.

Alternatively, I wonder if it might make sense to break things up by device type on multiple smaller switches. Like, one input for generic 720p60/1080p60 devices (early HDMI consoles, mini consoles, Analogue products, etc), one input for retro scaling (OSSC, RT5X, etc), one or two inputs for HDMI 2.1, that sort of thing. It's been a very long time since I've owned a TV (I've been using a projector for the last decade or so), so I'm not sure how much setting tweaking needs to be done for different device types.
My current receiver doesn't have eARC, so right now I am using 3x 2.1 ports for XSX/PS5/PC and the last for a SHARC to get the audio back to my receiver. Wasn't planning on buying a new receiver until ones with actual fixed HDMI 2.1 handling are actually released.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
djc5166 wrote:Are there any actual HDMI 2.1 switches (or any other components) available yet?
Not that I'm aware of :/
I sure hope the first chip that supports 2.1 is good. Because it's probably going to be the only option for a long time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PK ... UTF8&psc=1

Going to try this one out, fingers crossed.

Edit:
Seems to work just great, none of the VRR or HDR options were broken on XSX though this switch, PS5 seems to work just fine too.
Dr. Claw

Post by Dr. Claw »

I recently purchased the J-Tech Digital version of the VORKE switch in the OP. It was the cheapest and fastest shipping option out of the available variants of that switch.
Thus far, working quite well with auto switching. Right now I'm only dealing with 1080p devices. There is no lag added (according to the Time Sleuth); that wasn't true of the Monoprice 5x1 4K60 projector switch I had been using. I believe the additional lag on the Monoprice came from the upscale to 4K60 through the switch; it was tolerant of OSSC at 5X even with an unmodded SNES over RGB, though.

I put an in-line switch on it so I could turn it off without needing to unplug it. That it doesn't have a power button is an annoying feature, as is the lack of built-in IR sensor (that must be common with these type of switches).

The one thing I don't get (and it's minor) is how Auto EDID detection doesn't quite work. I'm not using a soundbar or receiver on this setup, but I have to manually select the "2.1ch" setting. I'm using the switch on an ARC-enabled port so I'm not sure if that's an issue. Anyone else have this issue?
Renaissance2K

Post by Renaissance2K »

Sorry for the late reply... I use the 4K30 model. On commercial devices, it works without issue. On HDMI mods (DCDigital, N64Digital, UltraHDMI), I've had issues getting a stable signal. Sometimes I get a signal that can't be processed. Other times, the video seems to bend or shimmer.

I ordered the 4K60 model recently to see if it would fare any better and in an attempt to get my setup down to a single HDMI switch, but it got lost in transit. Not sure if I'm going to re-order.

Most importantly, though, the unit gives a LOUD OBNOXIOUS BEEP every time the input changes! I haven't figured out a way to disable it.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Renaissance2K wrote:

Sorry for the late reply... I use the 4K30 model. On commercial devices, it works without issue. On HDMI mods (DCDigital, N64Digital, UltraHDMI), I've had issues getting a stable signal. Sometimes I get a signal that can't be processed. Other times, the video seems to bend or shimmer.

I ordered the 4K60 model recently to see if it would fare any better and in an attempt to get my setup down to a single HDMI switch, but it got lost in transit. Not sure if I'm going to re-order.

Most importantly, though, the unit gives a LOUD OBNOXIOUS BEEP every time the input changes! I haven't figured out a way to disable it.
Desolder the speaker! I've done that before on irritating beepers.
Renaissance2K

Post by Renaissance2K »

Pulled the trigger on the 4K60 model. It works much better than the 4K30 model, in terms of signal consistency. PS1Digital, N64Digital, GCDual, and WiiDual all work fine without any image weirdness.

The only console that I can't get video from currently is my DCDigital, but that might actually be the mod's fault. I've had issues with audio and/or video cutting out since the very beginning, and it's only gotten worse over time.

I haven't tried with upscaler devices yet.

This one beeps like the 4K30 model as well. It may even be louder.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Renaissance2K wrote:Pulled the trigger on the 4K60 model. It works much better than the 4K30 model, in terms of signal consistency. PS1Digital, N64Digital, GCDual, and WiiDual all work fine without any image weirdness.

The only console that I can't get video from currently is my DCDigital, but that might actually be the mod's fault. I've had issues with audio and/or video cutting out since the very beginning, and it's only gotten worse over time.

I haven't tried with upscaler devices yet.

This one beeps like the 4K30 model as well. It may even be louder.
Duh, I never looked at the model you bought! I have the 4k30 model that I use as an actual KVM with various computers attached. If you download their KVM Controller software and manage to actually get it to connect, there's an option to mute the buzzer. I did it a year ago and never looked back because that was irritating!
TheRealOC

Post by TheRealOC »

Apologies if this has already been asked - was trying to track down a ViewHD Ultra HD | HDMI 2.0 | HDCP 2.2 | 4K@60Hz | 1x2 Splitter | One Input to Two Outputs | Support HDR and Dolby Vision | Model: UHD1X2 without any luck.

Apparently the UHD1X2 model mentioned in this thread has been replaced by the newer UHD1X2S model. https://u9ltd.myshopify.com/products/vi ... del-uhd1x2

Has anyone had experience using the UHD1X2S model; any reason to think it wouldn't work just as well in a similar setup? http://dave.kircher.org/game_setup/Game_Setup.html
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The recommended switches appear to be available as a Monoprice Blackbird model (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39666). It's more expensive than the Vorke/ViewHD/J-Tech, but none of those appear to be available anymore. There are some other brands making the same switch, like Comprehensive, but those seem to go for even more expensive (B&H charges $144 USD for it), so the $100 price at Monoprice appears to be the cheapest way to get it at the moment.

Let me just say that Monoprice's checkout procedure is hilariously bad, though. It kept rejecting my address, suggesting a correction to my address that removed the apartment number, rejected my order because I put a space in the postal code when monoprice automatically adds the space and doesn't let you remove it, has completely broken paypal checkout (it lets you go through the paypal process and then rejects the order saying the credit card number is blank). It took me like an hour to get through their checkout process, it's nuts.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

I had problems checking out as well a few years ago, and when I contacted Monoprice their rep told me that they don't ship to Japan, despite me already having several packages shipped here. They stopped replying after I informed them of this. Oh well.
anexanhume

Post by anexanhume »

Anyone have experience with the extron DXP 4K series? Specifically looking at the 4x4 matrix.
Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

Just bought the TESmart 16x1 switch 4k60 switch. So far I really like it (after I disabled the beeping). I have tested the following:
N64Digital
DCDigital
PS1Digital
RetroTINK 5X Pro

All work fine, with the exception of CEC not working on my PS1Digital unless I power cycle the switch. CEC works fine for the N64Digital.
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

Jefferson wrote:Just bought the TESmart 16x1 switch 4k60 switch. So far I really like it (after I disabled the beeping). I have tested the following:
N64Digital
DCDigital
PS1Digital
RetroTINK 5X Pro

All work fine, with the exception of CEC not working on my PS1Digital unless I power cycle the switch. CEC works fine for the N64Digital.
I got mine too the other day! Straight from the manufacture's website (ordered 10/23; arrived 11/10), and with a Halloween coupon code, about $50 cheaper than Amazon, and that's before Amazon taxes.

Seems great except for one major issue: no audio out of my PS4! The same PS4 settings give me audio when going from PS4 straight to the Dell monitor (it's not an actual TV, but I can't see why that would make a difference). PSVR doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. PS3, Xbox 360, and Switch work fine. :?

I tried the various YouTube folklore home remedies like unplugging the PS4 and monitor and waiting before trying again, and playing around with the audio settings; switching from HDMI Linear PCM to anything else just gave me two different flavors of loud and potentially speaker-damaging noise. The PS4 said it recognized 7.1 and gave me the option to check 5.1, but checked or unchecked, I'm still not getting audio.

Audio from the controller works as usual, and it's neat that I can choose to get all audio from that little port (not just chat), but since I work with headphones on, I kinda don't want to play with headphones on too.

Switching ports on the TESmart and swapping out my older HDMI 1.4 cables for my fancier HDMI 2.x cables didn't help either.

And although I do have an HDMI extractor that lets me do PS4 > PSVR > HDMI audio extractor (plus yet another power outlet used) > RCA to DVDO Edge (and setting the DVDO Edge to output Stereo instead of HDMI) > TESmart switch... I really don't want to do that every time, just for the PS4, especially when everything else is switched automatically.

Help?

---

EDIT: I hooked up the full setup of PS4+PSVR > TESmart (with mClassic) to my older Dell monitor that only has VGA and DVI with the good ol' Tendak and that works, so there you go. Tried it again without the mClassic and the mClassic didn't affect compatibility.

---

EDIT 2: Today I chained some HDMI cables to an actual TV (i.e. not a PC monitor) in another room and I get sound with the PS4! So I dunno why this TESmart scaler doesn't like to play nice with my Dell S2716DG.

---

EDIT 3: Today's crazy chain combo that works on the troublesome Dell S2716DG (optional components in italics):

PS4+PSVR > TESmart > mClassic (requires USB power) > Tendak HDMI-to-VGA adapter > Toodles T-SLG (VGA scanline generator) > VGA-to-HDMI adapter (requires USB power)

Picture quality still looks good, and yay, I can have fake scanlines on 1080p sources again!

---

EDIT 4: I get PS4 audio through the TESmart with my Genki ShadowCast!

---

EDIT 5: I noticed I would occasionally get no audio playing certain consoles, and while I'm not sure if it's the TV or the TESmart, here's what I do now to absolutely got-dang-guarantee I get audio:

I try to make sure the console is the LAST thing I power on. I always set the TV input first, wait for the "no input detected" screen, then turn on my USB-powered stuff (RetroTinks, gscartsw and gcompsw, HDMI splitters and whatnot) along with the TESmart, wait for the RT5X blue screen, and finally turn on the console.
Last edited by Triple Lei on Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

I just picked up the HdFury VRROOM as my incoming JVC NZ8 reported fastest mode is 8k/60@10ms. Plan on using 240p consoles:
Otaku scart switch
Rgbcomp convertor for jvci'art usage
Component switcher
Component distribution amp 1x4 input/outputs
OSSC line quintuple to 1080p
HD Vrroomup scale to 8k
JVC NZ8

I'll also be testing dolby vision to JVC's DTM. Should be interesting how it all pans out. Ironically I'll be able to test dual output on JVC's past vs present.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Hey Bahn! Are you going to do a video about the HdFury VRROOM? I was disappointed by just about every single thing I found with the ones I tried...but buying an 8K one is a pretty big deal for future-proofing. Maybe this one's worth the extra effort?
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

retrorgb wrote:Hey Bahn! Are you going to do a video about the HdFury VRROOM? I was disappointed by just about every single thing I found with the ones I tried...but buying an 8K one is a pretty big deal for future-proofing. Maybe this one's worth the extra effort?
Absolutely, Bob if you are wanting me to test anything specific let me know. Hopefully my 8k pj comes in soon. Just saw some posts on how it resolves 8k 444 accurately.

I'm hoping the HDfury can do ossc/Mister fpga justice.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
Renaissance2K

Post by Renaissance2K »

Jefferson wrote:Just bought the TESmart 16x1 switch 4k60 switch. So far I really like it (after I disabled the beeping). I have tested the following:
N64Digital
DCDigital
PS1Digital
RetroTINK 5X Pro

Yeah, this thing is great. The DCDigital was the result of a power issue, so every console I've thrown at it works flawlessly. Great news, considering the price.

I still get drop outs feeding 1440p though it GC573, but considering how amazing the RT5X has become, I don't really need to run it through an auto-switch anymore. I've downgraded to the toggle below, putting the Tesmart on one input and the RetroTink on the other: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R8 ... UTF8&psc=1
strygo

Post by strygo »

I’m looking for a 4k 120hz switch and the only one I’ve found is the Marantz VS3003. I wish it had more inputs. Has anyone given one a try?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

strygo wrote:I’m looking for a 4k 120hz switch and the only one I’ve found is the Marantz VS3003. I wish it had more inputs. Has anyone given one a try?
Are none from the original post available at all anymore? Or were those only 60hz@4k ?
strygo

Post by strygo »

ldeveraux wrote:
strygo wrote:Are none from the original post available at all anymore? Or were those only 60hz@4k ?
All of those are 60hz. There is another 2x1 120hz on Amazon, but the reviews for it are quite negative. (Plus it’s only 2x1)

I had gotten the J-Tech 4x1 recently and it had been working reasonably well. Last night, Disney+ on an Apple TV prevented movie playback until I removed it from the chain.