I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DirkSwizzler

Re: I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

Post by DirkSwizzler »

orange808 wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:Does anyone have recommendations for embedding digital audio into an hdmi signal? I recently got one of those 7:1 automatic toslink switches from tindie and have cobbled together a piecemeal toslink setup for xbox and ps2 that automatically falls back to analog stereo coming out of my gscartsw 3.4

I tried gofanco Prophecy 4K 60Hz HDMI Audio Extractor & Embedder via S/PDIF Toslink + 3.5 MM Stereo, 4K 60Hz YUV 4:4:4, HDR, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2, 18Gbps, ARC, CEC, Audio Extraction & Embedded and it doesn't quite work as well as I expected. It mostly gets the job done but I wouldn't recommend it. Seems to have a few video incompatibilities with the OSSC. Occassionally drops frames. As well as the truly bizarre failure of showing video but silent audio for OSSC 5X 1080p. Whereas 5X 1600x1200 passes audio fine.
Apologies for being off topic again (not 4k), but I'll share what works with my OSSC.

I use Kramer FC-49 behind a OSSC v1 to embed stereo audio into HDMI 1.3.

It's not 4k and it only does stereo, but it works with everything I've tried.
I don't need the embedder to be 4K compatible until the OSSC starts spitting out 4K :) Thanks for the recommendation. I've got a monoprice embedder on the way. But will look into your recommendation if this one fails.

I really should work a "everything but 4k" set of recommendations into the original post. There are only 2 4K console's I'm aware of. So chaining an "everything but 4k" switch with lots of inputs would probably be smarter than chaining 3 of the HD41s. It would be one less resynchronization hop for OSSC mode changes
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
orange808 wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:Does anyone have recommendations for embedding digital audio into an hdmi signal? I recently got one of those 7:1 automatic toslink switches from tindie and have cobbled together a piecemeal toslink setup for xbox and ps2 that automatically falls back to analog stereo coming out of my gscartsw 3.4

I tried gofanco Prophecy 4K 60Hz HDMI Audio Extractor & Embedder via S/PDIF Toslink + 3.5 MM Stereo, 4K 60Hz YUV 4:4:4, HDR, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2, 18Gbps, ARC, CEC, Audio Extraction & Embedded and it doesn't quite work as well as I expected. It mostly gets the job done but I wouldn't recommend it. Seems to have a few video incompatibilities with the OSSC. Occassionally drops frames. As well as the truly bizarre failure of showing video but silent audio for OSSC 5X 1080p. Whereas 5X 1600x1200 passes audio fine.
Apologies for being off topic again (not 4k), but I'll share what works with my OSSC.

I don't need the embedder to be 4K compatible until the OSSC starts spitting out 4K :) Thanks for the recommendation. I've got a monoprice embedder on the way. But will look into your recommendation if this one fails.

I really should work a "everything but 4k" set of recommendations into the original post. There are only 2 4K console's I'm aware of. So chaining an "everything but 4k" switch with lots of inputs would probably be smarter than chaining 3 of the HD41s. It would be one less resynchronization hop for OSSC mode changes
I mean, yeah. Or just leave it what it is; a great recommendation for lag free video, that also supports 4K. This was a super helpful guide that I've since replicated and recommend fully!
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I used the wakelion going to my receiver and ARC from my receiver HDMI to my TV. I had image dropouts on both my Xbox one and PC in 4K. I had to remove the wakelion and it fixed the image dropouts.

I believe its the ARC on my receiver that is the issue but I didn't want to use Toslink because my HE is wall mounted and through wall grommet and I didn't want to have to add/order another cord. Is there a possibly a stronger 5 port switch?

Copyright 1987
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DirkSwizzler wrote:I don't need the embedder to be 4K compatible until the OSSC starts spitting out 4K :)
I would hope a 4K-capable OSSC would also gain digital inputs, negating the need for an embedder.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

I did a little bit of research into sending SPDIF signal directly into the IT6613. It seems this was actually already partially coded in an unused function EnableAudioOutput :https://github.com/marqs85/ossc/blob/4c ... drv.c#L438

I did try and test this function last week and was unsuccessful. Does anybody have a programming guide for the IT6613? I cannot seem to located it. Also unfortunately pin4 on the IT6613 is grounded, so if this ever does work the pin will need to be lifted and soldered to.
Loth

Post by Loth »

I can't seem to get the recommended Vorke switcher to recognize my 5 port awakelion's, is there any trick to get this working?

Thanks!
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Loth wrote:I can't seem to get the recommended Vorke switcher to recognize my 5 port awakelion's, is there any trick to get this working?

Thanks!
I've generally only had trouble with this when there's something powered on a port with higher priority. Which is why I daisy chain additional switches only on port 4.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

I finally got all the equipment needed for lag verification working. Tonight I want to go over the data I have showing that the splitter doesn't add lag. I plan to use the splitter for all further testing, with one output as the test of some device, and the other as the control.

Generic details about the setup:
  • I'm running the 240p test suite on a model 2 genesis connected to a gscartsw_lite via SCART.
  • Each OSSC was reset to default settings then 240p line multiplication was set to 1x.
  • Splitter: ViewHD Ultra HD | HDMI 2.0 | HDCP 2.2 | 4K@60Hz | 1x2 Splitter | One Input to Two Outputs | Support HDR and Dolby Vision | Model: UHD1X2
  • Each HDMI to CRT conversion was accomplished with the following chain.
    1. HDMI to VGA adapter.
    2. Connected to a Behar Bros Kenzei
    3. Connected to each PVM with a relevant SCART passive adapter.
      • The big CRT is a PVM-2530 using this.
      • The little CRT is a PVM-8042Q using this
  • The camera I'm using is Olympus TG-5 with the ISO set to 12800. I'm not much of a camera guy but this seemed to be the most important setting to keep the exposure super short to capture the current scan position.
  • I set the camera to autoshoot at "low" fps so I could be sure I captured a full range of vertical scanning. Expect that multiple frames will be skipped between images and the scrolling will appear to go upward.
I ran 4 tests to conclusively prove that the splitter added zero or nearly zero lag. If there is any, it's on the order of a handful of lines.
  1. Dual OSSCs fed from both outputs of the gscartsw_lite. Full imgur set
    Spoiler
  2. One OSSC redirected into the splitter. Left = Splitter out 1, Right = OSSC direct. Splitter out 2 to offscreen 4k tv. Full imgur set
    Spoiler
  3. One OSSC redirected into the splitter. Left = Splitter out 2, Right = OSSC direct. Splitter out 1 to offscreen 4k tv. Full imgur set
    Spoiler
  4. Only one OSSC used now, going into the splitter. Left = Splitter out 1, Right = Splitter out 2. Full imgur set
    Spoiler
So if anyone is feeling nitpicky. Please point out any problems with this data before I run tests on other equipment. The rest of my planned tests hinge on this data proving the splitter creates a valid control set on output 2 while I swap devices into output 1.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

nmalinoski wrote:Looks like that Vorke HD41Pro, as previously linked, is no longer available; however, there is what appears to be the same exact kit from another seller (BenRong-US; I wonder if that's intentional) on Amazon for a bit less ($36 USD versus $43).
And now the original listing is back in stock, at its same price, and the other listing is up to $170. :roll:
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Ok, no complaints with my setup. The zero lag testing continues.

Same setup as the baseline post. Small CRT on the right is the control coming straight out of port 2 on the splitter. And port 1 of the splitter routes through the device being tested and shows results on the big CRT on the left.
I think that conclusively proves no lag across the full chain :D
Jdurg

Post by Jdurg »

Just wanted to re-iterate just how grateful I am that you have gone through all of this effort. Thanks to your research, I was able to upgrade my setup to one that will be semi-future proofed, but more importantly, works fantastic with the setup I currently have. Thank you so much!
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
orange808 wrote:

EDIT: Ignore all this. This is why you shouldn't review things after an hour or two of use

Just got my Kramer FC-49 today after trying 2 different monoprice embedders. The FC-49 is the winner by far. And I got it for $40 on eBay. Not too bad for the time being.

I need to do more thorough testing before I put it on the first post (I'm considering it essential for integrating digital audio from retro consoles into hdmi setups). But it's handling all the quick tests that the other ones fail at.

EDIT: Ignore all this. This is why you shouldn't review things after an hour or two of use

Runner up:
Monoprice Blackbird 4K Series HDMI Audio Inserter
This one worked pretty well up through 720p. I don't think I tried 960p. But any of the 5x scales would fail to connect to the rest of my chain. So I'm assuming it internally stopped outputting a signal.

Third place:
gofanco Prophecy 4K 60Hz HDMI Audio Extractor & Embedder via S/PDIF Toslink + 3.5 MM Stereo, 4K 60Hz YUV 4:4:4, HDR, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2, 18Gbps, ARC, CEC, Audio Extraction & Embedded
Expensive. The SPDIF input has a little spring loaded door that broke on 2 separate units with only a few gentle uses each time. And once that door breaks, the Toslink cable isn't secured anymore and flops out easily. I don't have it anymore (one of the very few Amazon products I flat-out returned for being junk because it was expensive and they kept breaking). But as I mentioned above, it kinda handled lower scales reasonably and failed at 5x.

Last place:
Monoprice DVI Video + Digital Coaxial and Digital Optical Audio to HDMI Converter
I was completely unable to get this thing to integrate audio at all. Doesn't perform it's only task. I think it also failed on OSSC test pattern. I didn't test it much past "doesn't work at all"

So yeah. If you're getting into digital audio but demand HDMI integration. The Kramer FC-49 seems like a must. The pickings in this category are pretty slim.
Last edited by DirkSwizzler on Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

Looks like we may finally have a cheap 600 Mhz 18 Gbps 7x1 HDMI switch if the description is correct?

KEEGH 4K 60HZ HDMI Switch 7 Ports 7X1 HDMI 2.0 Switcher Splitter Box with IR Wireless Remote Support HDCP 2.2 HDR, Full HD/3D (7x1)

The 8x1 ATEN VS0801HB is basically the exact HDMI switch a lot of people are looking for, but street price seems to be ~$300.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

energizerfellow‌ wrote:Looks like we may finally have a cheap 600 Mhz 18 Gbps 7x1 HDMI switch if the description is correct?

KEEGH 4K 60HZ HDMI Switch 7 Ports 7X1 HDMI 2.0 Switcher Splitter Box with IR Wireless Remote Support HDCP 2.2 HDR, Full HD/3D (7x1)
Doesn't say anything about automatic switching; good for people who don't mind manual switching, not so good for people who want an automated/no-hassle setup.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
energizerfellow‌ wrote:Looks like we may finally have a cheap 600 Mhz 18 Gbps 7x1 HDMI switch if the description is correct?

Doesn't say anything about automatic switching; good for people who don't mind manual switching, not so good for people who want an automated/no-hassle setup.
Amazon review from less than a month ago!

"I own a Zettaguard HDMI switch with auto switch and PIP. But I needed more ports.
This has failed me. Have to use remote to switch ports. No Picture In Picture. Considering returning at this point.
You want to make your life easier? Get a Zettaguard"
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

And just to bring that thought full circle. I already tried a Zettaguard.

At this point, specs on the store page only means it *might* work.

I'm only going to believe HDMI claims that have been thoroughly tested by someone I trust
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

DirkSwizzler wrote:And just to bring that thought full circle. I already tried a Zettaguard.
Zettaguard/KEEGH (and I'm sure others...) look to be using the same Asian OEM/ODM supplier on these, but I do wonder if there's any kind of performance difference between the 4x1 and 7x1 models. The first-sale date of the 7x1 on Amazon is also like two years newer than the 4x1 model.

Also looks like there's a ZW412 update to that Zettaguard ZW410 you linked/tested and the reviews are indeed pretty bad:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BDQ4HMC
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7DC4VN

Since these things are so cheap, you thought about busting them open and taking some high-res PCB pictures with scanner?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Ignore my previous post about loving the FC-49. Every embedder has a tradeoff.

After playing with the FC-49 some more I noticed that I was presented with several cases where I had no audio at all. And would usually resolve itself while fiddling with connections. This thing seems to have some kind of flaky edid handshaking. I can't quite pin it down.

It also doesn't support 192KHz audio :/

Learning from that experience a bit. I went back to give the monoprice DVI embedder and it apparently had a similar handshake issue that was previously kicking my ass 100% of the time. But with some wrangling also reduced to around 60% of the time. Still annoying. Also doesn't seem to like 192KHz

So I went back to the other monoprice hdmi->hdmi embedder. It doesn't have any of the handshaking issues, and supports 192KHz. But doesn't support OSSC 5x.

At this point I'm living with the no-5x tradeoff until I find something better.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

So I have one suggestion and a few issues to add to this thread. First, Dirk mentioned in another thread that he was using a single power brick to power all of his switchers and the like. I can say that this one from Amazon works quite well for this purpose:
Aclorol 5V 10A power supply

The important thing is that it has enough amps to power everything (this one is 10 A) and that it's a positive tip output with a 5.5x2.1mm barrel plug. You can then split it with basically any daisy chain cable designed for guitar pedals or that otherwise has the same barrel plug, but I picked up one of these 1spot daisy chains because it was available locally. For twice as much, naturally...

As for the issues, I'm finding that the Vorke switcher and ViewHD extractor are really disappointing, at least for my use case. They might work fine for some people, but I really need functional CEC and the implementation on both of these devices is completely broken. If I have either (or both) of these connected anywhere in my signal chain, CEC does not work at all. I can watch on my TV's settings screen while it just flickers back and forth between states. Don't know what it is about these guys, but that's not right. I would much prefer that they just not try to include CEC at all, frankly, because I'm already running an HDMI for ARC from the TV that can handle that.

On top of that, when using the extractor, audio output from my PS4 Pro in LPCM is all kinda of janky. This could just be my receiver messing up, but I suspect it's either the extractor or the switcher. When I look at the receiver's display, it says that it is receiving Dolby Digital 2.0 audio with the PS4 set to LPCM. However, it's clear that the PS4 is outputting more than two channels as center channel audio is completely missing. Like, I can run around swinging my weapon in Bloodborne and it makes no sound at all. So I think the PS4 is trying to output 5.1 LPCM, but somewhere along the way it's getting borked. If I set it back to DTS (which I use because Dolby Digital seems to have a delay for some reason), it works perfectly again. With my PC, it is reading that it should be able to output 5.1, so clearly the EDID data is working. But somewhere between there and the receiver it's just getting messed up.

In any event, these have actually made my setup... well, worse overall since I can't control AVR volume with the TV remote, in some cases the TV will no longer control the power for the AVR, and just generally things are not cooperating. To that end, I would like to suggest the Smartooo 5x1 switcher I bought a while back. It's a little more expensive and I haven't tested it with the OSSC yet (I'll report back on that tonight probably), but it works great with the PS4 Pro in 4K HDR mode and has not caused me any CEC issues. It's also a little smaller. It can't do the EDID spoofing like the Volke, but since it actually works in my setup, I'm happier with it.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

On the subject of CEC. I've found that my TV in general doesn't like it. So I've been using a CEC blocker Lindy HDMI CEC Less Adapter, Female to Male (41232) to stop my TV from randomly renaming my gaming input.

On the subject of digital audio being distorted. That's interesting. I have had zero issues, but will admit that HDMI is basically voodoo.

Have you verified that the switch is set to "Auto" EDID setting, and the extractor is set to "out 2"? Beyond that, I'd doublecheck that you're not overloading your power brick. I've seen somewhat flaky behaviors when I was running at it's limit.

If that doesn't work, sorry the recommendations didn't work out :/

For your switch test. Did you run PS4 4K in full RGB? (HDR usually drops to YUV 4:2:2 or 4:2:0). And for your OSSC tests. I would very much appreciate running all line multiplication modes for a 240p source. And knowing if the OSSC test screen shows up.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

DirkSwizzler wrote:On the subject of digital audio being distorted. That's interesting. I have had zero issues, but will admit that HDMI is basically voodoo.

Have you verified that the switch is set to "Auto" EDID setting, and the extractor is set to "out 2"? Beyond that, I'd doublecheck that you're not overloading your power brick. I've seen somewhat flaky behaviors when I was running at it's limit.
I experimented with all the EDID settings, but no changes. I also experimented with unplugging (both from the chain and from the power brick) everything except the switcher and it still had issues. So I suspect it's just the way it is. In which case... at least I have justification for saying it's defective and not having to pay return shipping :)
DirkSwizzler wrote:For your switch test. Did you run PS4 4K in full RGB? (HDR usually drops to YUV 4:2:2 or 4:2:0). And for your OSSC tests. I would very much appreciate running all line multiplication modes for a 240p source. And knowing if the OSSC test screen shows up.
I haven't run the full gamut of testing, but I can say that although I don't currently have the PS4 Pro in full range RGB (I switched everything back to limited after watching the MLiG video on the subject), it never had any issues with that, either. I have recently been getting very occasional and random dropouts, but in the process of experimenting with your recommendations I discovered that one of my HDMI cables is broken. I've ordered a few new, high quality ones as I suspect that was the issue since I never had those previously. I booted up the OSSC this morning for a really brief test and I can confirm that at least the test screen and line5x in 1600x1200 mode work fine. For that, I used my dejittered SNES. No issues with video or audio, though it should be noted that I use the downsampling option for audio as my capture card does not like the raw audio feed. I suspect that it will work with all the other modes since line5x is typically the most problematic, but I haven't checked those yet. I'll report back after I do :)
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Okay, I tested the same game (DKC) via my modded SNES mini with dejitter and I had no issues with passthrough, 2x, 3x, 4x, or 5x (all three 5x formats). I've only used the generic 4:3 settings, no custom timings. I also haven't spent any real time actually playing the games, but I get video and audio with no issues that I can see/hear. As already mentioned, the test pattern also works. Please don't consider this to be exhaustive by any means, but at least I can say that it seems to work with all standard OSSC modes.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
CastingDreams wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote: For reference. My receiver is a Denon AVR-X3400H
I just bought the successor model: the AVR-X3500H. How do you rate its compatibility? Not great I take it, otherwise you wouldn't have to bother with the whole audio extractor setup... I've been able to get both my OSSC and Framemeister working, although my Philips Blu-ray player goes pink when I set 4K Signal Format to "Enhanced"! :(
It's actually pretty good. I got the extractor back when I had an older receiver with much crappier compatibility. The X3400H really only had serious problems with 240p 1X OSSC. Also I'm still paranoid it's adding lag. But I could be wrong.
I rested lag through my denon x4300 and had no lag when processing off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

for those using the vorke/prosumer switch listed in the OP:

how are the audio capabilities? specifically the ARC support and extraction of DTS and DD modes

my goal would be to get it to function as a pseudo-AVR, capturing audio from all HDMI sources and the display and routing it out to the optical

I know 5.1/7.1 PCM don't work over optical, don't care
hurda

Re: I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K@60Hz RGB H

Post by hurda »

djc5166 wrote:So I was able to dump the flash from a 2nd ViewHD/VORKE switch and then flash my bricked unit, and all is working again. I can provide the bin to anyone who bricked their unit trying to update it like I did. All you need is a cheap STM32 USB programmer.
Hi!
Is one of these clones with metal or transparent-green plastic-case enough, or does it have to be the real ST-Link?
Hkr

Post by Hkr »

Wanted to confirm something in this thread:

I have an LG TV that handles the SNES/NESGB signals through the ossc (2-5x) fine (with no de-jitter kit) if the ossc is plugged directly into my TV. If I plug the ossc into my current HDMI switch, I get sync issues.

Just wanna confirm that the setup listed in the OP can pass that signal through fine without needing to dejitter mod my consoles. I currently have my ossc plugged directly into the TV, but the TV has no audio out so I can't connect it to my 70s receiver like I want.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Hkr wrote:...so I can't connect it to my 70s receiver like I want.
Come on man...
Hkr

Post by Hkr »

ldeveraux wrote:
Come on man...
I have no use for surround sound in this room (modern consoles are elsewhere in the house) and affordable modern receivers aren't built like this

But go on, continue to shit on my choices instead of answering a simple question.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Hkr wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Come on man...
I have no use for surround sound in this room (modern consoles are elsewhere in the house) and affordable modern receivers aren't built like this

But go on, continue to shit on my choices instead of answering a simple question.
Why don't you just use the 3.5mm analog audio output from the OSSC to feed the receiver?
Hkr

Post by Hkr »

maxtherabbit wrote:
Why don't you just use the 3.5mm analog audio output from the OSSC to feed the receiver?
Audio ports are currently occupied (audio for component sources, audio for vga sources)