CRT with separate SCART RGB and component inputs

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thetallguy24

CRT with separate SCART RGB and component inputs

Post by thetallguy24 »

Working on a project, and I couldn't find any info on Google.

Has any CRT ever been made (particularly in Europe) that had both SCART RGB and component inputs? If so, what model?

Thanks in advance
tn61

Re: CRT with separate SCART RGB and component inputs

Post by tn61 »

There are some widescreen models

Panasonic TX-36PD30
Panasonic TX-36PL32

two examples
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

tn61 wrote:There are some widescreen models

Panasonic TX-36PD30
Panasonic TX-36PL32

two examples
I wonder if there's anything in the 21"-24" range that's 4:3
tn61

Post by tn61 »

thetallguy24 wrote:

Panasonic TX-36PD30
Panasonic TX-36PL32

two examples
Not sure if there are any 4:3 CRT with a dedicated component input. But some 4:3 CRT do accept component via SCART.

ITT CTV 21-50ST for instance

e: oh I forgot you wanted separate inputs
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

There are some Samsung models, some even have HDMI.
However they're 100hz, widescreen, slimfit, so no scanlines, very fuzzy picture and very poor geometry.

AFAIK, component sets are very rare and pretty much non-existant in 4/3 form. Much more abundant on flatpanels.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Component in 4:3 is pretty much all we got here in Aus.

Some can be rgb modded for both but I find you end up tuning the set into one or the other..
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

tn61 wrote:
thetallguy24 wrote:

Panasonic TX-36PD30
Panasonic TX-36PL32

two examples
Not sure if there are any 4:3 CRT with a dedicated component input. But some 4:3 CRT do accept component via SCART.

ITT CTV 21-50ST for instance

e: oh I forgot you wanted separate inputs
What kind of component to Scart adapter? Know of any others that accept component through Scart?
tn61

Post by tn61 »

thetallguy24 wrote: What kind of component to Scart adapter? Know of any others that accept component through Scart?
I'm not really sure but I think regular cheap component to scart adapter would do the trick? https://www.tvcables.co.uk/PGV372.html
I have heard many Loewe CRTs accept component via Scart as well, Google may help you with that.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

tn61 wrote:
thetallguy24 wrote: What kind of component to Scart adapter? Know of any others that accept component through Scart?
I'm not really sure but I think regular cheap component to scart adapter would do the trick? https://www.tvcables.co.uk/PGV372.html
I have heard many Loewe CRTs accept component via Scart as well, Google may help you with that.
Too bad those adapters don't carry audio
tn61

Post by tn61 »

thetallguy24 wrote:
Too bad those adapters don't carry audio
Well there are cables wired with audio included as well. Googling component to scart should give more results.After all scart uses pins 7, 11 and 15 for component just like RGB
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

I own a 2006 model Philips 32PW9551. I believe it was the last crt Philips produced for the European market, before switching completely to lcd and plasma displays. It's a widescreen, 100hz, flat model crt. It has HDMI, component, and 2 scart inputs, of which 1 input accepts RGB. 60hz signals are run at regular 60hz.

Unlike its Samsung competitor of the time, it has excellent geometry (at least mine does), especially considering the flat tube.

Like others have said, 4:3 crt's with component inputs are pretty much non-existent in Europe. Not sure exactly what you are looking for in a tv, but this one is at least a versatile 16:9 crt.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

Makinx wrote:I own a 2006 model Philips 32PW9551. I believe it was the last crt Philips produced for the European market, before switching completely to lcd and plasma displays. It's a widescreen, 100hz, flat model crt. It has HDMI, component, and 2 scart inputs, of which 1 input accepts RGB. 60hz signals are run at regular 60hz.

Unlike its Samsung competitor of the time, it has excellent geometry (at least mine does), especially considering the flat tube.

Like others have said, 4:3 crt's with component inputs are pretty much non-existent in Europe. Not sure exactly what you are looking for in a tv, but this one is at least a versatile 16:9 crt.
I'm trying to see what consumer CRTs out there closest met the versatility and performance of production monitors like the PVM 20L5. A consumer CRT than can handle RGB, component, 240p, 480p, minimal lag, great gemoetry, the works.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

This might be pretty close. Runs 480p at 60Hz, is 4:3, and has SCART RGB and Component. Curious how much lag it has and how it handles 240p

https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/fi ... 2_pss_.pdf

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

Tubes that go up to 1080i in consumer sets typically handle 15kHz not very well don't they?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

I've seen a few LG chassis that appear to handle it. For example the MC-049A.

Sony BG-3R can be modded to have both RGB and Component inputs.

I modded a Samsung CS-29K40MQ to accept RGB through the component ports (sync through AV) and that could be changed back to component at the flick of a switch.

I believe a Philips A10E chassis could have both.

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

Ryoandr wrote:There are some Samsung models, some even have HDMI.
However they're 100hz, widescreen, slimfit, so no scanlines, very fuzzy picture and very poor geometry.

AFAIK, component sets are very rare and pretty much non-existant in 4/3 form. Much more abundant on flatpanels.
Is there a way to downconvert or modify 100Hz TVs to 60Hz?
NJRoadfan

Post by NJRoadfan »

speedlolita wrote:Tubes that go up to 1080i in consumer sets typically handle 15kHz not very well don't they?
From what I experienced with Panasonic Tau flat 1080i HD CRTs, they scan-double SDTV video, no characteristic 15khz flyback noise from that set.... ever.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

thetallguy24 wrote:
Makinx wrote:I own a 2006 model Philips 32PW9551. I believe it was the last crt Philips produced for the European market, before switching completely to lcd and plasma displays. It's a widescreen, 100hz, flat model crt. It has HDMI, component, and 2 scart inputs, of which 1 input accepts RGB. 60hz signals are run at regular 60hz.

I'm trying to see what consumer CRTs out there closest met the versatility and performance of production monitors like the PVM 20L5. A consumer CRT than can handle RGB, component, 240p, 480p, minimal lag, great gemoetry, the works.
The American market had a bizarre transitional era.

4:3 consumer CRTs that could handle 240p component. But not 480p or RGB.
Another oddity I once saw was a tunerless HD-ready consumer LCD. No RF input capability, period (not even analog SD)!
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

thetallguy24 wrote: I'm trying to see what consumer CRTs out there closest met the versatility and performance of production monitors like the PVM 20L5. A consumer CRT than can handle RGB, component, 240p, 480p, minimal lag, great gemoetry, the works.
What you're looking for arguably never existed in the consumer market, at least if you want true native 15khz scanlines and zero input lag. Consumer CRTs with 480p support are all glorified embedded PCs that just happen to have a 1080i-native CRT instead of a LCD/plasma/OLED panel. What you're really looking for, without realizing it, is a tri-sync arcade monitor. You can still buy a new M3129DS-72 straight from Wei-ya or from one of a number of reseller rebrands, e.g. Happ's Makvision 49-2715-00.

If you gotta have 480p+, just get a new LG OLED and call it good. Given how expensive and rate the larger multi-sync PVMs/BVMs have gotten, it's probably cheaper too. That and if you don't ship that big CRT you bought via pallet on a LTL freight hauler, you're virtually guaranteed to have the monitor arrive damaged (DHL, UPS, FedEx, I'm looking at you...).
NJRoadfan

Post by NJRoadfan »

In the US, Toshiba sold the TIMM briefly in 1995 that met most of the requirements. It a TV with an RGB input that can sync 15-40khz and also has s-video and composite inputs. At $800US in 1995, it didn't sell very well though.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

energizerfellow‌ wrote:
thetallguy24 wrote: I'm trying to see what consumer CRTs out there closest met the versatility and performance of production monitors like the PVM 20L5. A consumer CRT than can handle RGB, component, 240p, 480p, minimal lag, great gemoetry, the works.
What you're looking for arguably never existed in the consumer market, at least if you want true native 15khz scanlines and zero input lag. Consumer CRTs with 480p support are all glorified embedded PCs that just happen to have a 1080i-native CRT instead of a LCD/plasma/OLED panel. What you're really looking for, without realizing it, is a tri-sync arcade monitor. You can still buy a new M3129DS-72 straight from Wei-ya or from one of a number of reseller rebrands, e.g. Happ's Makvision 49-2715-00.

If you gotta have 480p+, just get a new LG OLED and call it good. Given how expensive and rate the larger multi-sync PVMs/BVMs have gotten, it's probably cheaper too. That and if you don't ship that big CRT you bought via pallet on a LTL freight hauler, you're virtually guaranteed to have the monitor arrive damaged (DHL, UPS, FedEx, I'm looking at you...).
So it works with 240p? What kind of board would I need to connect Scart and Component consoles like the SNES and PS2? Hopefully nothing like a Gonbes, which adds lag.
zanardi

Post by zanardi »

Panasonic TX-29PX20P
Spoiler
Spoiler
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I don't think any consumer crt "TV" in North America was ever true multisync. At least none that I know of. You have to either hunt down :

-a pro presentation/broadcast monitor like Sony PVM-20L5 and BVMs, NEC XM29 and co, Mitsubishi's equivalents etc

-a true multisync computer crt monitor that syncs down to 15kHz. Some were made, such as NEC's first model with the branding "Multisync" affixed to it.

-a tri-sync arcade monitor
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

If it has to do 480p as well as 240p and RGB, there is really just a handful of pro video monitors and commercial CRT projectors.

The Ikegami HTM20 does 240, 480p and has component and RGB input cards.

Personally, I'd stick with an multi-sync RGB crt and use a transcoder for the small number of consoles that could only do component with no RGB option.

If you are in Europe, it's just the GameCube and original Xbox that is a problem right? The N64 has no component but it can be RGB modded. The European Wii does RGB. For consoles like the PS2 that do both, you are better off with RGB.
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

FinalBaton wrote: -a true multisync computer crt monitor that syncs down to 15kHz. Some were made, such as NEC's first model with the branding "Multisync" affixed to it.
Not quite a true "PC CRT monitors that support 15 khz" list, but some good guesses can be inferred from these on what to look for:

http://15khz.wikidot.com/
http://ps2linux.no-ip.info/playstation2-linux.com/sog.html