Auto audio switching splitter recommendation

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Hoagtech

Auto audio switching splitter recommendation

Post by Hoagtech »

I seem to use a lot of audio RCA from my 31 khz devices. Is there a switch box that can detect audio and switch to automatically similar to a Banbride switching to a SCART?

My Devices in need are Dreamcast, Xbox 360, Panasonic 3DO, Sharp X68000, Sega Genesis, OSSC.

I would like one with 8+ RCA or RCA/Toslink per channel.
Copyright 1987
nmalinoski

Re: Auto audio switching splitter recommendation

Post by nmalinoski »

Sadly, options for analogue audio switching are dwindling and limited, and I don't think you're going to find any 8-porters for RCA and TOSLINK combined, likely not RCA alone, and I'm not sure this thing is still being made.

If you're willing to forego the single piece of hardware, I recommend an Audio Authority 1154A or 1154B. It auto-senses on both audio and video, so you can use it as an audio-only switcher; and you could daisy-chain two of them together for 7 inputs.

I personally use an 1154A to connect my component consoles to my OSSC, and have yet to have a problem with the automatic switching; although I haven't used mine as an audio-only switcher. Do keep in mind the following:
- At least to my knowledge, it doesn't convert TOSLINK to RCA or vice versa, so if you put TOSLINK in, you'll only get TOSLINK out; and
- If you're running your 360 through the OSSC and intend on using TOSLINK output, you're going to have to route TOSLINK around the OSSC to your receiver and use a secondary profile with TX Mode set to DVI (the problem here being that the OSSC always puts audio on HDMI, regardless of a connected source, which prevents at least my receiver from falling back on TOSLINK).

Is there any particular reason why you want to handle your audio and video separately instead of running all audio and video from your consoles through something like an automatic VGA or SCART switch, like Extron's SW VGA Ars series or the gscartsw, and then deal with the sole output from that switcher?
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

At the end of the day you'll likely need a rack mount VGA matrix switch with audio like the Shinybow SB-4184LCM.

http://www.shinybowusa.com/shop/product ... cts_id=393
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

energizerfellow‌ wrote:At the end of the day you'll likely need a rack mount VGA matrix switch with audio like the Shinybow SB-4184LCM.

http://www.shinybowusa.com/shop/product ... cts_id=393
Are these good quality? How they compare with Extron equipment?

Edit: WOW, They're really expensive...
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Hoagtech wrote: Banbride
:mrgreen:
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

It's not auto sensing, and it's RCA input only, but I use a DJ mixer that I got for I think $50 off craigslist. 8 inputs, 4 outputs, and a bunch of features I'll never use. Maybe not what you're looking for, but maybe something to consider.
Spoiler
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

nmalinoski wrote:Sadly, options for analogue audio switching are dwindling and limited, and I don't think you're going to find any 8-porters for RCA and TOSLINK combined, likely not RCA alone, and I'm not sure this thing is still being made.

If you're willing to forego the single piece of hardware, I recommend an Audio Authority 1154A or 1154B. It auto-senses on both audio and video, so you can use it as an audio-only switcher; and you could daisy-chain two of them together for 7 inputs.

I personally use an 1154A to connect my component consoles to my OSSC, and have yet to have a problem with the automatic switching; although I haven't used mine as an audio-only switcher. Do keep in mind the following:
- At least to my knowledge, it doesn't convert TOSLINK to RCA or vice versa, so if you put TOSLINK in, you'll only get TOSLINK out; and
- If you're running your 360 through the OSSC and intend on using TOSLINK output, you're going to have to route TOSLINK around the OSSC to your receiver and use a secondary profile with TX Mode set to DVI (the problem here being that the OSSC always puts audio on HDMI, regardless of a connected source, which prevents at least my receiver from falling back on TOSLINK).

Is there any particular reason why you want to handle your audio and video separately instead of running all audio and video from your consoles through something like an automatic VGA or SCART switch, like Extron's SW VGA Ars series or the gscartsw, and then deal with the sole output from that switcher?
If I got three AA would I be able to do 10 inputs?

And is the auto switching done by powering the source input or by hitting a sense button?

@xer xian, It gets harder to correct spelling when I am using an iPhone to post. Pardon me
Copyright 1987
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Hoagtech wrote:If I got three AA would I be able to do 10 inputs?
First one gets you four, each additional daisy-chained adds three; so three units would make 10 inputs, yes.
Hoagtech wrote:And is the auto switching done by powering the source input or by hitting a sense button?
It's auto-sensing, so if it gets sync on Y/G or audio starts coming in on an input, it will switch to that input. According to the manual, inputs are prioritized 1 to 4, so, if you're listening to something on, say, input 2, and input 3 comes online, it may not switch. The manual has more information about how it determines which input to select.

If the switching behavior isn't to your liking, you can always press the button on the front to cycle through the inputs, and the manual also has instructions on how to pop the top off the unit and reconfigure the bank of DIP switches to disable sensors (you can individually enable or disable sensing for analogue audio, digital audio, and video).

If you do end up buying one or more of these, I recommend following the Re-initialization procedure for each; you won't want your input switching tainted by the behavior of someone else's setup.