NESRGB background palette issue! need some assistance!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BastarB

NESRGB background palette issue! need some assistance!

Post by BastarB »

Hi everyone!

Hope you can help me, or atleast point me where to read about this issue, I would really appreciate it!!

I've just modded a NTSC Top Loader with the NESRBG modkit!
However I've ran into a problem! The colors looks really strange in all games and in rare cases some tiles are missing like in the title screen of Ninja Gaiden for example.
The sprite palette looks fine, but the background palette is way off.

The only thing that looks normal is the Powerpak menu, with correct colours, although they look a little more dimmed compared to my other high-def nes modded console.

I've tried the system through both a crt tv and through my OSSC with the same results on both.

The guy here has the EXACT (100% identical) same graphical issues as I have with my NESRGB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LyB-bGxeNU

What could be the cause of this? Is the PPU the culprit maybe? Bad connection of some of it pins? Bad caps? Something else I've might have missed? Voltage problem? I've modded a NES before with the high-def nes without any issues like this so I'm not totally new to modding this kind of stuff, although I have alot to learn on how the hardware interacts with different parts of the system.

I've tried to clean the 72 pin connector in the system, but not sure If I did it successfully, it didn't look that dirty in the first place thou. Also tried to re-flow the solder on the 72 pin connector solder joints.

My PPU revision i H