CollectorVision Phoenix FPGA

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
orange808

CollectorVision Phoenix FPGA

Post by orange808 »

Apparently, it's an FPGA console that will be open source.

The creators refuse to discuss it and they ban anybody that asks a question.

Apparently, you get 480p video. There's a ColecoVision core, Coleco cart slot, and support for some Atari 2600 roms (with full frame buffered output). I guess you get line doubled output from the ColecoVision (no ADAM support) core.

What do you guys think?

Seems like this one needs a discussion away from the banhammer of the device's creators.

Although, support could definitely be an issue when the creators are issuing bans before release to questions about video output.

I am thinking this is a "no". The device's creators remind me of the SSD3.
We apologise for the inconvenience
orange808

Re: CollectorVision Phoenix FPGA

Post by orange808 »

Spoke to a couple developers that are also frustrated about the way they are handling communication.

I don't see any community support ever coming. Open source with no community seems like an issue if they ever expect to get more cores. I won't help.

Also, there seems to be alot of concern about warez. It's exclusive worry for Coleco devs, because the 2600 core obviously runs warez from the sdcard. I guess they take care of their own...

Also, I didn't know porting already made games from the MSX was real homebrew development, but (hey) whatever floats your boat. :)
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

orange808 wrote:Also, I didn't know porting already made games from the MSX was real homebrew development, but (hey) whatever floats your boat. :)
That’s primarily the CV homebrew scene, it’s mostly just MSX and SG-1000 ports with some original stuff in between. To be honest it’s nice for people who don’t have either system and therefore exposes these games to a wider audience, but personally I don’t really bother since I have both an MSX and an SG-1000.

Anyway, I’m curious to see what becomes of this as my ColecoVision is dead and I really don’t feel like spending money on getting another one and modding it, especially since the ColecoVision hardware is notoriously flaky.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I want an explanation of why there is so much self rightous chest pounding about warez with ColecoVision "portbrew" and all new and original coded Atari 2600 homebrew warez can be run off the sdcard right out of the box.

That's hypocrisy.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

*shrugs*