Looking for some Extron equipment

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nodoyuna

Looking for some Extron equipment

Post by Nodoyuna »

Hi

I'm trying to have an Extron-Only setup for my game room

I'd like to ask for the existence of some Extron equipment that I think there should be somewhere, but I'm unable to find...

These are what I'm looking:

1) HDMI to VGA (I already have one of those Tendak ones, but I'm curious about if Extron has some device for it)
2) HDMI matrix switcher (8x8 would be perfect)

Also, I'd like to ask a questions too:

1) I have a PC with CRT Emudriver installed and the VGA output is connected through an UMSA device for ArcadeForge to the SCART input of my PVM. Is there any Extron device (maybe an RGB Interface) to make this conversion from VGA to SCART?

Thanks in advance
nmalinoski

Re: Looking for some Extron equipment

Post by nmalinoski »

I don't believe you're going to find anything to go from HDMI directly to RGB, probably because the industry is moving forward to HDMI and what's next, not really backwards to analog. You're going to have to either go from HDMI to DVI using an HAE 100 4K to extract audio and an HDMI to DVI cable, then a DVI-RGB 200 to convert DVI to RGB; or you're going to need to go from HDMI to 3G-SDI with a DSC HD-3G A and then from 3G-SDI to RGB with a DVC 501 SD, and for audio you'll either need to use an HAE 100 4K to extract digital from the HDMI before the DSC HD-3G A, or you'll need to loop the 3G-SDI into a 3G-AE 100 for analog audio; or you can see if the MGP 464 Pro will do what you need, but it's way more than what you need for a relatively simple HDMI->RGB conversion.

My recommendation: Stick with the Tendak converter.

As for Extron's HDMI switchers, you can get the older DXP HD 4K series maxes comes in 4x4, 8x4, and 8x8 variants, and the newer DXP HD 4K Plus line has those plus 16x8 and 16x16 variants.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

The Tendak converter will do if your display accepts RGBHV. If you need RGBS then you will need one of the rxi models of the Extron RGB units to combine the sync. I've heard people talk about manually combining the sync with a T-connector, but that never worked for me when trying to get HD signals through HDMI into a BVM, so I got an Extron 203rxi paired with an adapter like the Tendak.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

nmalinoski wrote:I don't believe you're going to find anything to go from HDMI directly to RGB, probably because the industry is moving forward to HDMI and what's next, not really backwards to analog. You're going to have to either go from HDMI to DVI using an HAE 100 4K to extract audio and an HDMI to DVI cable, then a DVI-RGB 200 to convert DVI to RGB; or you're going to need to go from HDMI to 3G-SDI with a DSC HD-3G A and then from 3G-SDI to RGB with a DVC 501 SD, and for audio you'll either need to use an HAE 100 4K to extract digital from the HDMI before the DSC HD-3G A, or you'll need to loop the 3G-SDI into a 3G-AE 100 for analog audio; or you can see if the MGP 464 Pro will do what you need, but it's way more than what you need for a relatively simple HDMI->RGB conversion.

My recommendation: Stick with the Tendak converter.

As for Extron's HDMI switchers, you can get the older DXP HD 4K series maxes comes in 4x4, 8x4, and 8x8 variants, and the newer DXP HD 4K Plus line has those plus 16x8 and 16x16 variants.
I'll keep the Tendak, as it's doing a good work and the other options will be too difficult and expensive for the HDMI->VGA conversion

The only real problem I have with the Tendak is that for 480p movies (DVD) it create some ringing effect (most noticiable when in dark scenes or dark portions of the screen) But maybe that's a problem of the Asus multimedia player I'm using. I'll be moving to a better player and will check if it gives a better picture.
fernan1234 wrote:The Tendak converter will do if your display accepts RGBHV. If you need RGBS then you will need one of the rxi models of the Extron RGB units to combine the sync. I've heard people talk about manually combining the sync with a T-connector, but that never worked for me when trying to get HD signals through HDMI into a BVM, so I got an Extron 203rxi paired with an adapter like the Tendak.
Right now, I have the Tendak connected to my VGA monitor

A question: if I connect the VGA output of my CRT Emudriver PC to an Extron 203RXi and then to my PVM will get better picture than ArcaceForge's UMSA device? (I really want to make an all-Extron setup and I suspect it will be better quality than the UMSA)
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

There are plenty of rgb digital to analog converters on the market. This is one of the Extron devices that does it:

https://www.extron.com/product/dvirgb200

I would first check that it is needed for the device. Some devices are capable of putting out analog RGB from their HDMI port for gaming (but not digitally protected movie content).

For example, I sometimes use my PS3 on my arcade monitor with an HDMI to DVI cable (no converter) and then a dvi to vga adapter (like the ones that come free with graphics cards). I just set the PS3 to 480p and the rgb color space. It works very well.

Sega Rally on the PS3 looks particularly amazing on an analog crt at 480p. It looks even better than on my 1080p PlayStation monitor:

Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

Classicgamer wrote:There are plenty of rgb digital to analog converters on the market. This is one of the Extron devices that does it:

https://www.extron.com/product/dvirgb200
I already have an Extron DVIRGB200 to connect my emulation PC DVI Output to the VGA monitor and it does work perfect
Classicgamer wrote:I sometimes use my PS3 on my arcade monitor with an HDMI to DVI cable (no converter) and then a dvi to vga adapter (like the ones that come free with graphics cards). I just set the PS3 to 480p and the rgb color space. It works very well.

Sega Rally on the PS3 looks particularly amazing on an analog crt at 480p. It looks even better than on my 1080p PlayStation monitor:

I like this option too, as one of the things I'd like to try is to see how modern consoles work in 480p when connected to a CRT VGA monitor