Good monitors that are SoG

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
reldvs1

Good monitors that are SoG

Post by reldvs1 »

I just picked up a nice and inexpensive ($6) Dell monitor that is SoG (sync on green ) but only 17"

So I know exists a list of SoG monitors but can anyone recommend any good monitors that are not only SoG friendly but also look good for playing Oxbox, PS2 and Wii ?

It's a Dell 1704FPVt which is on the SoG list and was described as a "sexy"and"hot" monitor. But it's only 17"

I'd like larger that looks good with the consoles I mentioned above and also has to be SoG friendly.

Any suggestions?
BazookaBen

Re: Good monitors that are SoG

Post by BazookaBen »

PC CRT's are so rare now, that it's not like you have a choice between a bunch of available models. You pretty much have to settle for what you can find. Luckily, tons of them support sync on green.

And for the ones that don't, you can always use an Extron RGB to run composite sync or separate sync.
reldvs1

Post by reldvs1 »

BazookaBen wrote:PC CRT's are so rare now, that it's not like you have a choice between a bunch of available models. You pretty much have to settle for what you can find. Luckily, tons of them support sync on green.

And for the ones that don't, you can always use an Extron RGB to run composite sync or separate sync.
I'm sorry, I should clarify. I have crt TVs for my man cave. Of course I'd love a crt monitor. But like you said, rare. So I'm just looking for a good 19" or 22" lcd monitor that is SoG.

It won't be gamed on a lot. That's what my man cave is for. There I have jvc 36" d-series for retro gaming and light guns.
I have several other Sony Trins and Toshiba flat screens, but
I'm considering a 30xs955 for oxbox,wii and HD ps2. Found one locally.
I hear they are pretty good (would love xbr960 but have not seen one) and are also SFP....

What do you think?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

sync conversion between RGBHV and RGsB is so easy and cheap, that I'm really wondering what's the point in looking for that specific feature on a monitor?
reldvs1

Post by reldvs1 »

Fudoh wrote:sync conversion between RGBHV and RGsB is so easy and cheap, that I'm really wondering what's the point in looking for that specific feature on a monitor?
May I ask how you are converting?
If u say it's easy, I definitely want to go that way!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

any of the Extron RGB interfaces will convert from any to any sync type you need. Some of the interfaces will leave sync intact on the G channel (when converting from RGsB to RGBHV) but this rarely a problem. Others will output clean G instead. Just check ebay to see what's available under $20 and then check the Extron website for the specs. Ebay search for "Extron RGB".

For example: I used an Extron interface to convert RGsB (PS2 in 480p mode) to RGBS for use on a Sony BVM monitor.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

As Fudoh said, Extron RGB interfaces are cheap and plentiful on eBay. I love mine. It not only converts any type of sync to any type of sync, it also gives you a read out so you can make sure you have a 15khz signal before turning on your monitor. And it cleans up a dirty signal.

For a SOG monitor, my Ikegami TM20 has a SOG button as well as working with RGBS and RGBHV. There are some on eBay right now.

If you already have a monitor that does everything you want aside from sog, the Extron interface is an excellent $15 solution.
reldvs1

Post by reldvs1 »

Classicgamer wrote:As Fudoh said, Extron RGB interfaces are cheap and plentiful on eBay. I love mine. It not only converts any type of sync to any type of sync, it also gives you a read out so you can make sure you have a 15khz signal before turning on your monitor. And it cleans up a dirty signal.

For a SOG monitor, my Ikegami TM20 has a SOG button as well as working with RGBS and RGBHV. There are some on eBay right now.

If you already have a monitor that does everything you want aside from sog, the Extron interface is an excellent $15 solution.
Thanks for all this great info. Looks like I'll be looking. Into Extron RGB unit next lol.

Thanks!
reldvs1

Post by reldvs1 »

Fudoh wrote:any of the Extron RGB interfaces will convert from any to any sync type you need. Some of the interfaces will leave sync intact on the G channel (when converting from RGsB to RGBHV) but this rarely a problem. Others will output clean G instead. Just check ebay to see what's available under $20 and then check the Extron website for the specs. Ebay search for "Extron RGB".

For example: I used an Extron interface to convert RGsB (PS2 in 480p mode) to RGBS for use on a Sony BVM monitor.
I went on ebay and looked and there is a few I'd like your opinion on please
Rgb 190f
Rgb 300

Would either of these work? I'm looking at pdf too but if I could get your input, it would help
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

there is no interface "300". The 190F should be fine, although it's one of the interfaces that doesn't strip sync from the Green channel.
reldvs1

Post by reldvs1 »

Fudoh wrote:there is no interface "300". The 190F should be fine, although it's one of the interfaces that doesn't strip sync from the Green channel.
Update: Edit to add link and more details
I'm sorry but there is. It's been discontinued but there is such a beast

extron rgb 300 interface #60-148-01

It will accept any signal and out put
RGsB....3 bnc
RGBH/V....4 bnc
RGBHV.......5 bnc

It also has H and V centering with many adjustments for each
And sync strip
Picture and contrast controls

Here is link to pdf
https://www.extron.com/download/files/u ... manual.pdf

I think I'm gonna get it
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The problem with the older ones like the 300 (and some others like the 202) is that you need custom cabling, since they don't have a standard HD15 input, but are using an older 9-pin RGB DIN input.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I just got one of the extron RGB-HDMI 300 and it also accepts SoG (as well as RGBHV, RGBS, and YPrPb)

Great little unit, $25 bucks on ebay
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

I do remember the vast majority of 19"+ PC CRTs being higher-end models, generally speaking, and most of those higher-end models supporting SoG. I honestly can't remember a later CRT with BNC inputs that didn't support SoG. Given how much designs consolidated in the late days of CRTs, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a decent number of newer CRTs that support SoG and/or csync anyways, despite what the spec sheet says, so worth at least testing out.