Multi platform console cable to vga DIY help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
reldvs1

Multi platform console cable to vga DIY help

Post by reldvs1 »

OK, I have a question regarding building my own cable. I already have the multi plug scart part, that I salvaged from a DDR mat.
I want to be able to send video that is R,Gs,B from the console plugs (not at same time) and pass it through to my newly aquired sync on green capable 17" monitor on the vga plug

I mostly need a pin out diagram. I know I'll have to solder, no problem there.

P.s. I got the Dell monitor 1704FPVt for $6.00!
Checked it on the SoG list and one guy called the monitor "sexy" and "hot"...but most importantly as well, SoG friendly

Wooooooo!
BazookaBen

Re: Multi platform console cable to vga DIY help

Post by BazookaBen »

PS2 and PS3 are the only consoles that output RGsB, and then they only do it at 480p. So there's some work involved, you'll need GS Mode selector to force 480p in the menu and in some other games (and 960i in others that are buggy or crash).

I just use a component cable with a little 3-RCA>VGA plug at the end.

For gamecube/wii/WiiU/xbox, you'll need a component>VGA converter. Dreamcast and Xbox 360 output VGA natively. Nintendo Switch, PS4, etc, you'll need a HDMI>VGA converter (also recommended for PS3 since its component out stinks).

EDIT: I just realized you're not using a CRT. Your monitor should have DVI, which makes it compatible with all the new stuff (just run HDMI to the DVI port). But for analog-out consoles, you might be better off using a Retrotink or OSSC to the DVI port.
reldvs1

Post by reldvs1 »

BazookaBen wrote:PS2 and PS3 are the only consoles that output RGsB, and then they only do it at 480p. So there's some work involved, you'll need GS Mode selector to force 480p in the menu and in some other games (and 960i in others that are buggy or crash).

I just use a component cable with a little 3-RCA>VGA plug at the end.

For gamecube/wii/WiiU/xbox, you'll need a component>VGA converter. Dreamcast and Xbox 360 output VGA natively. Nintendo Switch, PS4, etc, you'll need a HDMI>VGA converter (also recommended for PS3 since its component out stinks).

EDIT: I just realized you're not using a CRT. Your monitor should have DVI, which makes it compatible with all the new stuff (just run HDMI to the DVI port). But for analog-out consoles, you might be better off using a Retrotink or OSSC to the DVI port.
Thanks for all that info. I had wondered if I could get one of those RGB component to vga adapters for ps2 RGsB.....they say it's for a projector but I had my thoughts it might work.

I already have GSM....I have several soft mod ps2 and I have another with a matrix chip all fat. And a slim that is soft mod too.

I do have crt tvs in my man cave but in my bedroom I want to use a monitor.
I also do have a component to vga converter. Pro HD box. And I think it's the better one from China. I thought I'd use that on my 32" vga capable TV for oxbox, wii and 360 and maybe even ps2.
I'm planning quite a large multi crt tv and flat screen gaming center in my man cave. But for editing and testing and file transfers. I figured a monitor that is SoG capable in my bedroom would be OK.
I'm glad to know I can get that component to vga adapter instead of having to make one. I seen them very cheap from China.

Thanks again for all the help :-)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

BazookaBen wrote:PS2 and PS3 are the only consoles that output RGsB, and then they only do it at 480p.
PS2 is not limited to 480p with RGB output; it is additionally capable of 720p and 1080i over RGB (RGsB), just as it is with its YPbPr output.
BazookaBen wrote:Dreamcast and Xbox 360 output VGA natively.
Dreamcast natively outputs RGBHV, but it's not VGA; it outputs 720x480 frames, which makes it DTV 480p, which is not VGA-compliant as far as I can tell.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

nmalinoski wrote:PS2 is not limited to 480p with RGB output; it is additionally capable of 720p and 1080i over RGB (RGsB), just as it is with its YPbPr output.
Yeah I was just trying to keep it simple, since the max internal resolution for 99% of PS2 games is 480p or lower. I actually use GS Mode Selector to run 1280x1024 to my monitor, which letterboxes a 960p image made of line-doubled 480p internal resolution. Or at least as far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any scaling artifacts. So that means on typical 4:3 CRT Monitor you need to adjust the black bars out of the picture and have the proper aspect ratio.

nmalinoski wrote: Dreamcast natively outputs RGBHV, but it's not VGA; it outputs 720x480 frames, which makes it DTV 480p, which is not VGA-compliant as far as I can tell.
yeah I was using "vga" as shorthand for "RGBHV-out" or "d-sub out"