Original Xbox Not Working. DVD Drive or Band?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dragon89o

Original Xbox Not Working. DVD Drive or Band?

Post by Dragon89o »

So I pulled out my original Xbox and it isn't working. The disc tray isn't ejecting properly and the power button is flashing between the color green and yellow. If I were to hit the eject button and hit gently the top of the Xbox the tray will eject but the console still flashes green and yellow. So I need some suggestions on getting this repaired. I'd ideally like to repair this over buying another simple since it was my original one.

If it's the DVD drive I hear there is a few different manufacturers that made them. Does anyone suggest one over another which might be more reliable? Also I'm guessing there isn't any more modern replacement that would fit in the xbox to avoid having to buy a used one that might just fail again?

If it's a band issue does anyone have a model number or suggestion on where I should buy one?
nmalinoski

Re: Original Xbox Not Working. DVD Drive or Band?

Post by nmalinoski »

If by yellow you mean that amber/orange color, then it means that the AV cable isn't connected properly.

The eject mechanism probably just needs to be greased.
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

nmalinoski wrote:If by yellow you mean that amber/orange color, then it means that the AV cable isn't connected properly.

The eject mechanism probably just needs to be greased.
You had me go downstairs and test that. I had unplugged the AV cable because I had pulled the console out of my setup a bit to look at it. I plugged the AV cable back in and I'm no longer seeing an amber light. So thanks for that I might have and replaced the drive with out it needing it potentially.

You don't think the band has maybe broken over time? What type of grease would you suggest and what am I greasing the brand or cogwheels? Also how difficult of a job is it?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

If the tray opens when you push down on it, then it's probably just undue friction; you'd have to open it up to see. I'm not sure that there are any bands used in the DVD drive; I haven't needed to open my Xbox's DVD drive, so my assumption is that it's all plastic gears and maybe a metal spring.

As for grease, I'd end up using white lithium grease because it's what I have on hand, but someone more knowledgeable can probably recommend a specific alternative.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

The OG Xbox has a rubber belt and it commonly gets stretched out - it's one of the most common problems with the drive. I would pickup a new one from eBay and see if that helps. There's tutorials on YouTube on how to fix it.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:The OG Xbox has a rubber belt and it commonly gets stretched out - it's one of the most common problems with the drive. I would pickup a new one from eBay and see if that helps. There's tutorials on YouTube on how to fix it.
Is it a standard-sized belt, kind of like what's found in tape decks and turntables?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nmalinoski wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:The OG Xbox has a rubber belt and it commonly gets stretched out - it's one of the most common problems with the drive. I would pickup a new one from eBay and see if that helps. There's tutorials on YouTube on how to fix it.
Is it a standard-sized belt, kind of like what's found in tape decks and turntables?
I don't know the size. Just know it's an actual belt and I grabbed them off eBay for a few bucks and they've fixed three of my Xbox's so far.
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

Any suggestions of replacing the belt or having it greased?