BVM32 PC gaming MHW custom resolutions questions??

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SNK-NEO-GEO

BVM32 PC gaming MHW custom resolutions questions??

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Hello..
Running a PC with an Nvidia card on a BVM32. I always set up the PC resolution to 720p. I am playing MHW PC steam and would like to know if and how to setup custom resolutions to play MHW at the best possible resolution on the BVM32, if it is not 720p.. Is there such a thing? and how do I setup the custom resolutions? What is the max FPS that the BVM32 can handle? thanks for reading and your feedback.
The Future Is Now
fernan1234

Re: BVM32 PC gaming MHW custom resolutions questions??

Post by fernan1234 »

Are you able to use 1080i? The D series monitors look soooo much better (IMO) doing interlace content rather than progressive, which somehow looks too soft to me even on a calibrated set. And of course 1080i is a higher resolution than 720p, and fully supported by your D32. No need to worry about how bad interlace can be on other monitors. These are made for it, and with the 1000 TV lines it will look crips and steady.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Fernan1234 - thanks for the feedback, the BVM does 1080i.. I remember someone mentioning custom resolutions so I was wandering if people were using that approach on the BVM32 and how/results.
The Future Is Now
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

720p is only a lower resolution than 1080i at 30fps. At 60fps, 720p shows more pixels over the course of a second. Not to mention the BVM is only 1000 lines across, so it can't fully resolve either resolution.

But as far as custom resolutions go, you might as well just try a bunch and see what works. 1440i is one I think would probably work, since it has identical frequency to 720p (45kHz horizontal), much in the same way 540p works on 1080i TVs. But it doesn't hurt to try other resolutions that don't necessarily match up to 1080i or 720p timings. If they don't work, no big deal, just delete them from CRU.

Another thing you can try is maintaining a 45kHz horizontal frequency while trying other vertical frequencies. Like I could run approximately 800i @ 72hz on my Sony Hi-scan TV because it matched the 33.75kHz horizontal timing of 1080i/540p. Great for 24fps movies.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Bazookaben - thanks for the feedback.. do you happen to has a list "1440i is one I think would probably work, since it has identical frequency to 720p (45kHz horizontal)" beside that one that I can try?

Question - 45khz means that I will max out at 45FPS right?
Do you happen to know the max kHz that the BVM32 can run at even if we go way lower resolution than 720p or 480p etc? I am more interested on the highest KHz/FPS first and resolution second.
The Future Is Now
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Whenever you see somebody putting a "k" before "Hz" that means they're talking about horizontal frequency, or the number of lines per second, which is measured in thousands per second (kiloHertz). Vertical frequency is in regular "Hz", which is the number of full frame scans per second (Hertz). Vertical is the one that determines the max number of full frames you'll see in a second (divide by two for interlaced, since it only shows half a frame each scan).

Sorry, I thought you understood all this stuff. But if you play around with CRU a little, you'll start to get it. You'll probably need to stick to "Standard CRT Timings" in the drop-down box.

I have no clue what the maximum for your BVM is. There's a possibility it will only display standard NTSC resolutions, which would be a little bit of a bummer if you're trying to play PC games on it.

And to start off with, don't go above 45kHz horizontal. I'm guessing BVM's have built in protection to enforce a max frequency, but I don't know that for sure. Someone else will need to chime in about that. I know on old arcade monitors you could go over their max frequency and actually damage them. But all my PC monitors will just ignore the resolution and give you an "out of range" message. I imagine BVM's would do something similar but I'm not 100% sure.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

"Whenever you see somebody putting a "k" before "Hz" that means they're talking about horizontal frequency, or the number of lines per second, which is measured in thousands per second (kiloHertz). Vertical frequency is in regular "Hz", which is the number of full frame scans per second (Hertz). Vertical is the one that determines the max number of full frames you'll see in a second (divide by two for interlaced, since it only shows half a frame each scan)."

I did know this, I have seen people put number kHz to = number FPS or maybe I confused the letters.. thanks for the feedback.. I will stay with the normal settings 720p until someone is hat has successfully used different settings without issues.. again, thanks for the feedback:)
The Future Is Now
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:I did know this, I have seen people put number kHz to = number FPS or maybe I confused the letters.. thanks for the feedback.. I will stay with the normal settings 720p until someone is hat has successfully used different settings without issues.. again, thanks for the feedback:)
You could try 1440i safely, just type 2560x1440, 60hz, then tick the "interlaced" box. It my look better by virtue of being less aliased. Especially if you combine it with TAA in newer games.