X360 "Open Tray" Error

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BulletMagnet

X360 "Open Tray" Error

Post by BulletMagnet »

Long story short, I put my 360, which was working fine at the time, away for awhile some months ago, but after taking it back out and hooking it up again I'll put in a game disc and hear the console whirring and clicking for a bit, but after a handful of seconds (the exact time tends to vary) it stops and the "Open Tray" message appears on the dashboard (apparently the internet knows it as the "Open Tray Error"). I've tried several different game discs so I know scratched media isn't the problem, and have also tooled around with a handful of "non-invasive fixes" I found but nothing seems to have had an effect so far: a handful of places offer instructions for opening up the console and tweaking stuff inside, but I figured I'd best ask around a bit before attempting that (assuming that would even help).

It's an "old-style" US 360 (the white one with the hard drive on top), and this is the first issue it's given me; if anyone has any suggestions or requests for additional information to diagnose the problem it'd be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
evil_ash_xero

Re: X360 "Open Tray" Error

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Those 360s are a real piece of crap. :lol:

You'll probably have to send it off to get it repaired by someone. There's a video by GameTechUS where he's fixing the drive to a slim. But, yeah, it's invasive, and requires some technical know how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybc_CKDV6MM

I'd recommend somebody to fix that for you, but you're in the UK. So...I doubt you wanna ship stuff to the US.